What's new

Views on the legal age to start vaping

Just to add some contrast to even my own thoughts...

The other day I was walking past the metro and saw a kid, probably no more than 15,vaping away.
My initial reaction for about 3 seconds was "wtf that child is vaping!". Then I quickly found myself thinking that if he wasn't doing that, he'd likely be smoking like the other kids around him. So in the end my response was that if my kid was in that bunch, I'd be pleased if he was the one vaping instead of smoking.

Doesn't change legal age which should be set higher, but along the lines of "they're going to do it anyway", I'd rather vaping was more accessible than tabs.

yup UK law is bit weird at times

Last edited:
True, but we wouldn’t necessarily have to agree exactly, just broadly.

My idea of responsible is to ban tobacco products outright and prosecute the manufacturers. Recover some of their hundreds of billions in profits to pay the medical bills of those dying from smoke related deseases.

My idea of responsible is to ban tobacco products outright and prosecute the manufacturers. Recover some of their hundreds of billions in profits to pay the medical bills of those dying from smoke related deseases.

In an ideal world, yes.
Two problems with it though, firstly, there are still a lot of smokers in the country, including myself, as although I vape, I also have a few cigarettes first thing in the morning, so any government who banned it outright would be very unpopular at the next general election after a ban.
Second thing is that the revenue the government would lose would virtually bankrupt the country, that's why they don't ban it outright but just put the duty up further to please the anti smoking campaigners. Think about it if they lost the revenue overnight at around £7 per pack.
Unless of course they put up income tax to say 30 pence in the pound, again any government would be very unpopular at the next general election.

In an ideal world, yes.
Two problems with it though, firstly, there are still a lot of smokers in the country, including myself, as although I vape, I also have a few cigarettes first thing in the morning, so any government who banned it outright would be very unpopular at the next general election after a ban.
Second thing is that the revenue the government would lose would virtually bankrupt the country, that's why they don't ban it outright but just put the duty up further to please the anti smoking campaigners. Think about it if they lost the revenue overnight at around £7 per pack.
Unless of course they put up income tax to say 30 pence in the pound, again any government would be very unpopular at the next general election.
I agree.
And it wouldn’t stop people smoking. Cigarettes would be available on the black market. Considering they cost next to nothing to produce/import from low duty countries the incentive to sell illegal cigs would be enormous. Additionally, harm to smokers under a ban would only increase. Unregulated sales of knock off fags with god knows what fillers and additives would be abundant. Currently, underage people struggle to buy cigs. Black market sellers care not for the age of their customers.

Reminds me of arguments surrounding the blanket ban of other things abundant in our society.

Hello, my name is David Lesser, I am a student in the UK and I am interested in finding out peoples views towards vaping, specifically at what age vaping could be considered acceptable via a short and fast survey. You can complete the survey no matter your location, ethnicity or gender. All data collected will not be able to trace you.
Thank you for your attention
David Lesser.
The link can be found bellow.

https://goo.gl/forms/D9cSdO3VfnXbOsWw1
Done, I'm surprised its 16.

18 no questions asked you should be old enough to make an informed decision , Whilst its safer then smoking , Vaping still isn't entirely safe, your safest option is doing neither, This should not be getting pedalled to anyone under 18. My opinion anyway

18 no questions asked you should be old enough to make an informed decision , Whilst its safer then smoking , Vaping still isn't entirely safe, your safest option is doing neither, This should not be getting pedalled to anyone under 18. My opinion anyway
Just curious are you saying that a 13year old smoker should have to smoke for 5 years before there allowed to vape?

Just curious are you saying that a 13year old smoker should have to smoke for 5 years before there allowed to vape?

Nope I'm saying a 13 year old should never of been smoking to begin with , And vaping shouldn't be offered as an alternative to a minor , There are other alternatives such as patches which have less risk attached to them.

While i agree patches and such don't work for alot as they require will power (Didn't work for me) . I'm just saying handing a e cig (which in its self isn't entirely safe if mishandled) to a minor with e liquid at all more so if it contains nicotine probably isn't the way to go.

But again this is my opinion only

Edit remember those kids in school with the can of aerosol and the lighter , Imagine what some of them would do with an electronic cigarette or the batteries

Last edited:
To drink alcohol... 18
To get a tattoo... 18
To buy tobacco or vape products... 18
Old enough to decide that you're actually the wrong sex and start HRT... Any age.

The world is insane.

Mommy, I want to vape.
Sorry dear, you're only 12 and you're too young so you'll have to wait until you're 18.

Mommy, I want to be a boy.
OK dear, let's go to the docs and pump you full of male hormone so we can turn you into a boy.

Back
Top Bottom