What's new

voltage regulation, best choice/practice?

stryker

Postman
Been looking at building a box mod, the aim being it takes two 18650's for increased battery life. It would be nice if it can fire up to 100 watts. The path I've chosen is the typical mosfet-n route as per the examples on modmakers.co.uk.

So that gives me the equivalent of a mech mod as in being fixed at the batteries voltage, however I was thinking, how about having the option for say 3.7 - 7.4 volts. I've looked around on here and other places but can't find any decent pointers on what direction to take. There are various DC-DC boards out there but they all carry small currents such as 10 amps or less.

Some thoughts I've got are:

1) DC-DC step down, use two 18650s stacked for this.

2) DC-DC step up, using two 18650s in parallel.

Has any one ever employed PWM for controlling the voltage?

At this point I'm really just fishing for ideas, preferably from someone who's already done it.

EDIT: I feel I must state I'm looking for a solution I can construct rather than buying one of the dna style boards.... its for fun :)

Cheers

Up to 60w i think you can't beat an SX350 build, use parallel 18650's for longevity on it. If you wanna go higher than that then mamu's raptor builds are pretty nice I think, or the new SX350 100w.

The raptor build uses series batterys and delivers up to 20A using step down for a max 120 watts.

If you want an easy build i'd go for the new 100w sx board (future upgrades could be around 200w for this board), and i'd look for a good lipo series battery from Hobbyking to go with it.

Been looking at building a box mod, the aim being it takes two 18650's for increased battery life. It would be nice if it can fire up to 100 watts. The path I've chosen is the typical mosfet-n route as per the examples on modmakers.co.uk.

So that gives me the equivalent of a mech mod as in being fixed at the batteries voltage, however I was thinking, how about having the option for say 3.7 - 7.4 volts. I've looked around on here and other places but can't find any decent pointers on what direction to take. There are various DC-DC boards out there but they all carry small currents such as 10 amps or less.

Some thoughts I've got are:

1) DC-DC step down, use two 18650s stacked for this.

2) DC-DC step up, using two 18650s in parallel.

Has any one ever employed PWM for controlling the voltage?

At this point I'm really just fishing for ideas, preferably from someone who's already done it.

EDIT: I feel I must state I'm looking for a solution I can construct rather than buying one of the dna style boards.... its for fun :)

Cheers

You could start by looking at the Raptor DCDC converter, but as for building the converter from scratch? I dont think anyone has tried. With the Raptor all you get is the converter, switching, Voltage displays etc are down to you.

There are one or two people out there going the whole hog and using arduino boards to run the mods features and switch the converter board...

There are a few "interesting" build projects posted about the internet,I read through over 70 pages of a build that seems to have on final completion been sent off to other forum users to test only for it to destroy the electronics within.The majority of the detailed build projects are on Mamu (breaktru.com) site,using T10? type chips,or the NAOS Raptor but too many aren't (to me) powerful enough.I am in the process of building a Raptor PCB to be powered by lipo cells,but having to wait for various components arriving from China has really slowed me down.Some of the Arduino projects are very interesting,but I've not seen any on POTV.

The other thing slowing me down is the rate my soldering irons fail,I've had to buy a gas powered iron(which isn't much use for electronics)just to maintain my unregulated box mods(lipo cells are a PITA to attach things too)as I've had 4 electric irons simply cease working,ranging from 25W to 100W variable power.

There's always the 60 amp raptor if you can get hold of one, bit big with the heatsink and 3 series 18650's
10357582_1448919828693039_1651522251016306242_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1970354_10152421379942081_1077704879935484669_n.jpg
    1970354_10152421379942081_1077704879935484669_n.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom