What's new

What did your Postie bring you today? - VAPE MAIL!

Most people think it is but WD40 is not a lubricant.
Its a solvent used for dissolving and removing grease.

WD40 make and sell multiple products for multiple applications.

https://wd40.co.uk/wd-40-products/

WD40 is a solvent. But it is widely used as a lubricant due to the oil it contains along with its penetrating qualities and moisture removal.

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture.[14] This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil. A propellant (originally a low-molecular-weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) creates pressure in the can to force the liquid through the can's nozzle before evaporating.[14] The product is also sold in bulk as a liquid to industrial companies

WD40 make and sell multiple products for multiple applications.

https://wd40.co.uk/wd-40-products/

WD40 is a solvent. But it is widely used as a lubricant due to the oil it contains along with its penetrating qualities and moisture removal.

The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture.[14] This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving behind the oil. A propellant (originally a low-molecular-weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) creates pressure in the can to force the liquid through the can's nozzle before evaporating.[14] The product is also sold in bulk as a liquid to industrial companies
I take it thats how its marketed which is all very well but i would never use WD40 as a lubricant.

3in1 or grease for lubricating and WD40 for cleaning off old oil and grease.

I take it thats how its marketed which is all very well but i would never use WD40 as a lubricant.

3in1 or grease for lubricating and WD40 for cleaning off old oil and grease.
Neither would I. I don't even own any. :D

But many do and it can be used as such. That's why they market it as multi purpose. But they sell many more products for specific lubricating tasks.

WD40 was developed originally as a water dispersant. They went through 39 other recipes before settling on the one we know and love.

Water
Dispersant

Hence the name.

I’m i right in thinking WD40 is made up mostly from fish oil sure I read that somewhere

Back
Top Bottom