What's new

Which to choose Xtar VP4 or VC4SL [also known as VC4 plus]

apollo118

Postman
As title says, looking for a new XTar charger, would like some recommendations as I would also need it for the car to charge in, I would like to charge two batteries faster aswell, thanks

As title says, looking for a new XTar charger, would like some recommendations as I would also need it for the car to charge in, I would like to charge two batteries faster aswell, thanks
I have the VC4 Plus and it's a great charger. Also have the Skyrocket and that's a good one too.

I don't need one atm, but all i would want is at least 2 bays charging at 1a.

I’ve the VC4 and a VC4LS. Both do up to 2A.
Of the two I’d go for the SL version.
It has a stable USB c socket. The 4 and4s both have very unstable micro USB.
The L will also accept 4x 21700 at once. The 4 and 4s can only do 3.
The SL also feels a lot more sturdy than the other two.
There is one downside though. The SL doesn’t have a “ grade” option. I find this handy for deciding if a battery has, or has not, any usable life left.

I’ve the VC4 and a VC4LS. Both do up to 2A.
Of the two I’d go for the SL version.
It has a stable USB c socket. The 4 and4s both have very unstable micro USB.
The L will also accept 4x 21700 at once. The 4 and 4s can only do 3.
The SL also feels a lot more sturdy than the other two.
There is one downside though. The SL doesn’t have a “ grade” option. I find this handy for deciding if a battery has, or has not, any usable life left.

i have a vc4 that only does 1A. it also doesn’t have micro usb, but a round male dc connector. it also doesn’t have a grade function as far as i’m aware. i wonder if they’ve made two different ones? mine is a few years old.

i have a vc4 that only does 1A. it also doesn’t have micro usb, but a round male dc connector. it also doesn’t have a grade function as far as i’m aware. i wonder if they’ve made two different ones? mine is a few years old.
Sorry, clearly my mistake, there. My recollection was it had both. ( but I thought that about the Queen Ant and it only has micro USB, when i actually looked!.)so I think it’s more likely to be my faulty memory, if I’m honest @zouzounaki
Of the ones I’ve still got.
The Xtar Queen anti needs two (horribly unstable) micro usb . And has a 2A high.
The 4s has one Micro. And a 2A high
The 4sl has one USBC. And a 2A high.

both the Queen Ant and the 4s have needed lost of maintenance, because of woeful support the main board has, by the USB sockets.
And, apparently, it’s not just me. It seems to be a problem many have.

once again, sorry if I’ve led anyone astray with my errors.

but I’m going to hit a bullet here.

unless you actually need all the different function’s offered by these Xtar units. My honest advice would be to buy a Nitecore new I4. It’s mains powered, virtually indestructible. And, in my years of ownership, has never once faltered.
It’s construction feels solid. Certainly much better than the 4s but about the same as the 4sl.
Though it has only a 1.5A charge high so may not suit all.
It’s also only £19.99 minus POTV discount, at Fogstar. Which, to me, makes it a real bargain. A bargain, I’ll predict, will still be working in 10 years time, too.

The Efest LUC 4 is also worth a shout. I've had one for years without any problems.

The VC4SL can charge at 3A in 1 bay, 2A in 2 bays and 1A, 0.5A and 0.25A in 4 bays but only if you have the separate AC adaptor otherwise it's limited by whatever the usb source is. You could use it in a car via usb but not through the car's DC socket unless you buy a separate adaptor. Whatever you select it does however seem to do its own thing depending on what it makes of the battery.

The 2 bay AC powered Rocket charges at 2A, 1A, 0.5A and 0.25A and comes with a DC car plug.

The VC4SL can charge at 3A in 1 bay, 2A in 2 bays and 1A, 0.5A and 0.25A in 4 bays but only if you have the separate AC adaptor otherwise it's limited by whatever the usb source is. You could use it in a car via usb but not through the car's DC socket unless you buy a separate adaptor. Whatever you select it does however seem to do its own thing depending on what it makes of the battery.

The 2 bay AC powered Rocket charges at 2A, 1A, 0.5A and 0.25A and comes with a DC car plug.
I picked up a pukka xtar 3A, new, for £3.99 when I bough the 4LS. Though not from the same vendor. And if you have a recent Samsung USBC phone, you’ll already have a 3A charger. Bundled with the phone.
Ironically I don’t charge at over .5A. As I’m happy to trade waiting a bit more, for batteries with a longer usable life.
But if need must, it’s handy to have. And I have used it.

Back
Top Bottom