What's new

Why are so many people vaping non kanthal wire?

As far as I can remember when Dr Farsalino raised the possibility of a theoretical risk with dry burning he did not exclude kanthal from that assessment. In his opinion to minimize risk we should not dry burn. Some of us took this onboard, some decided it applied to some wires more than others or that a little dry burn (cherry red) with some wires was ok. I am not sure the science has moved on significantly since Farsalino first raised the issue, though I get the idea that some people have extrapolated from non vape related science (fair enough)

Personally I have stuck with kanthal and dry burning because I am lazy. I want to replace my coil every few months not every week. I have more than a lifetimes worth of kanthal so coils are now esentially free, so cost is not an issue.
The only other wire I have tried was ss and I did not like it because it ramped up too fast and was inclined to get too hot by the end of a long draw. Had that experiment gone better I might have tried other wires.

I am open to reconsidering my choice to dry burn and my choice of wire should some good vape related science indicate that it was a good idea.

Other harm reduction choices I have found easy, I find bought juice has too much flavour and I never liked creamy flavours so I mix with low flavour percentages (and getting lower) and diacetyl or its replacements have never been an issue. I do try to keep my juice consumption down to about 30ml/week (random number that works for me) and will adjust nic levels, coils and airflow to stay around that level.

All of us who used to smoke, however we vape, have made a massive step towards harm reduction. If we want to go for absolute minimum risk we will have to stop vaping. Imo anyone who is concerned about the safety of vaping should keep an eye on the science and make informed decisions based on that. If the science comes up with anything really bad, we will hear about it.

As far as I can remember when Dr Farsalino raised the possibility of a theoretical risk with dry burning he did not exclude kanthal from that assessment. In his opinion to minimize risk we should not dry burn. Some of us took this onboard, some decided it applied to some wires more than others or that a little dry burn (cherry red) with some wires was ok. I am not sure the science has moved on significantly since Farsalino first raised the issue, though I get the idea that some people have extrapolated from non vape related science (fair enough)

Personally I have stuck with kanthal and dry burning because I am lazy. I want to replace my coil every few months not every week. I have more than a lifetimes worth of kanthal so coils are now esentially free, so cost is not an issue.
The only other wire I have tried was ss and I did not like it because it ramped up too fast and was inclined to get too hot by the end of a long draw. Had that experiment gone better I might have tried other wires.

I am open to reconsidering my choice to dry burn and my choice of wire should some good vape related science indicate that it was a good idea.

Other harm reduction choices I have found easy, I find bought juice has too much flavour and I never liked creamy flavours so I mix with low flavour percentages (and getting lower) and diacetyl or its replacements have never been an issue. I do try to keep my juice consumption down to about 30ml/week (random number that works for me) and will adjust nic levels, coils and airflow to stay around that level.

All of us who used to smoke, however we vape, have made a massive step towards harm reduction. If we want to go for absolute minimum risk we will have to stop vaping. Imo anyone who is concerned about the safety of vaping should keep an eye on the science and make informed decisions based on that. If the science comes up with anything really bad, we will hear about it.

Exactly this. I don’t dry burn partly because it seems that it could be less dangerous (based on reading Farsolinas article when I was first starting) and partly because having always used spaced coils and usually always plain wire, there doesn’t seem to be any need. And also partly because dry burning hem to clean them between wicks is a pain the arse for me. I find it easier to make a new one.

But yes, whether you dry burn them or not it’s definitely better than smoking fags from a health point of view, I’m 100% sure.

Having read your post several times and reread mine several times, it sounds to me that you totally agree with me but if you gotta disagree then you gotta disagree.
Having read your post and mine, it sounds too me like I haven't really made my mind up and I'm totally confused, so you're probably right lol
Bad case of fibro-fog today. :S

Aye it does, but it’s not submerged in liquids and we don’t inhale the fumes from it directly through a tube. But I see where you’re coming from. I don’t dry burn after reading that farsolinas article about it, fair enough if you choose to do, though.

Also when I put the toaster on I go in the next room and shut the door until the fumes have dissipated :D
Think of the clouds if you poured vape juice into the toaster :D
DON'T try this at home....

Back
Top Bottom