What's new

1st wicking attempt, any good?

Re-wicking varies......

On MTL 10w 3.7v-ish I try for about a week but not using it 24/7
(maybe using the tank 75% of time & other tank 25% whilst recharging)

When you take the piss the coil gets really crapped up and chimney covered in crap inside the dome
Also at times it struggles to draw - feels like you knocked the air port down or closed it up as crud is blocking the airflow around coil

Some re-wick in a day or two/three once they notice the flavour starts to wain a slight smidge (but usually fussy lot or higher watt setups)
usually 4 or 5 days time I might need to bump the watts/volt a tiny smidge to try to compensate

I can't actually tell you exactly when, it really is see how it goes and what you feel or rather not feel anymore
but depends on person/tank/watts/setup etc.....

All I know if I take the piss too much on thin wire I can't get the fucking wick out of the fucked 29awg coil
So what I tried to save by being lazy, I end up needing a new coil as well as re-wicking
(not that it matters in cost but just a tiny bit more work than keeping the coil after a quick burn off)

I'd say give a few days at least unless you got issues like dry hits or weird draws if full of crud
might get 5 days, perhaps 7 but reckon that is about the limit unless you hardly use the S2

Coil building is the next thing for me to do, i've ordered a spool of 27AWG Kanthal wire to kick off with, but i do have some S/S 316l wire somebody gave me ages ago. I gather Kanthal is the best for low wattages set ups, or so i've read elsewhere. I'll play around with this Siren and see how the wicking holds out.

Another question re RTAs...(oh they're coming now! lol!)...i've been told that wattage doesn't really matter so much when it comes to RTAs...unlike stock coils which have their limits....it's amps and voltage that counts. Now i'm just using this on a reg mod at the moment on wattage setting...used an online calculator to determine wattage for a 1.0 build, says 17 watts. But can i go higher than this? and if so, how high before i bugger up that tiny coil?!

Well..it's working! Got it @ 17 watts to start, nice flavour coming through.

Should be OK, try to keep an eye on the volts if possible
You want the volts especially high enough to get the vapour & flavour
but not too high that the juice at the coil slowly cooks off the flavour

It's weird but found just dialing it back a whisker until the flavour lessened
then lightly bump it back kept the flavour, coil/wick lasts and juice doesn't go like rusty brown water eventually

What the mod says in watts is only a guide. juices vary like our taste buds
you ideally want to keep eye on the watts or volts rather and just get it right, just enough to just hit that sweet spot
without ramping it to cook the juice (over time) too easily

I mean I'm on about about 1.4 Ohm at about 3.7 give or take 0.1v
but each coil/tank/juice is going to be different like all users etc....
find where you hit/lose that sweet spot and a smidge over is all you need
(this will vary but just saying)

Should be OK, try to keep an eye on the volts if possible
You want the volts especially high enough to get the vapour & flavour
but not too high that the juice at the coil slowly cooks off the flavour

It's weird but found just dialing it back a whisker until the flavour lessened
then lightly bump it back kept the flavour, coil/wick lasts and juice doesn't go like rusty brown water eventually

What the mod says in watts is only a guide. juices vary like our taste buds
you ideally want to keep eye on the watts or volts rather and just get it right, just enough to just hit that sweet spot
without ramping it to cook the juice (over time) too easily

I mean I'm on about about 1.4 Ohm at about 3.7 give or take 0.1v
but each coil/tank/juice is going to be different like all users etc....
find where you hit/lose that sweet spot and a smidge over is all you need
(this will vary but just saying)

I haven't foggiest idea how one monitors/changes volts, i've only ever used watts on my regs. But this tank will evetually go on mech to try out...so i guess the best and only thing one can do with those, is make sue the batteries are fully charged.

Does it make any difference 'fixing' the volts at a certain level, on reg mod then?

Coil building is the next thing for me to do, i've ordered a spool of 27AWG Kanthal wire to kick off with, but i do have some S/S 316l wire somebody gave me ages ago. I gather Kanthal is the best for low wattages set ups, or so i've read elsewhere. I'll play around with this Siren and see how the wicking holds out.

Another question re RTAs...(oh they're coming now! lol!)...i've been told that wattage doesn't really matter so much when it comes to RTAs...unlike stock coils which have their limits....it's amps and voltage that counts. Now i'm just using this on a reg mod at the moment on wattage setting...used an online calculator to determine wattage for a 1.0 build, says 17 watts. But can i go higher than this? and if so, how high before i bugger up that tiny coil?!

Kanthal is perfectly fine - just said don't go nutz if you can help it
coil will crud faster, juice will cook (at coil/wick mainly, but will darken if you really start going nutz in the kitchen)

It's all a learning curve, when you use a decent stock coil tank that works & lasts
then you go all DIY and hit issues/headaches it is easy to think - fuck this shit wicking agro, leaks & bollocks

Yeah I think coming from say a Zenith that just worked, it was a little shock to the system at times
some worked great (bit of luck), others were a fucking nightmare tasting like crap, leaking all over the place
I've sussed it - ergh no I haven't I got lucky I later concluded

Finding a wire and what Ohm build seems to work best for YOU is another
You will probably make a 1 Ohm coil on 27awg with 6 or 7 wraps, I got 29awg and seems 6 wraps works best at 1.4
(to do with wire as well as my own preferences - I tried a bit lower/less wraps and got different results/tastes I didn't like much
I got more of one flavour coming at me with a different 5 wrap coil to my usual 6 wrap setup - weird ? so stayed on 6 wrap coil)

It is a bit of a wank at times but rewarding, I still use the zenith often when rta is charging (and take as spare to work with rta)
But now after about 2 or 3 months of RTA "fun", I'm using my RTA's the most

I haven't foggiest idea how one monitors volts, i've only ever used watts on my regs. But this tank will evetually go on mech to try out...so i guess the best and only thing one can do with those, is make sue the batteries are fully charged.

Does it make any difference 'fixing' the volts at a certain level, on reg mod then?

The Wattage is a guide and just a newer guide tbh

On most mods (regulated) it should say what volts its firing at as well as the Wattage it is set at
Some mods, you can tweak the voltage or a softer start/lower initial voltage if a tank spits (Vapefly Galaxies MTL RTA)
On that Vapefly it is a cunt on first draw, spits like a banshee and really don't like higher volts or it will spit from cold
So started to lower the volts or rather the WATTS - which dropped the volts also and found it had a real sweet spot.
Some mods at say 10w will fire at 3.6v, but other mods on same tank/coil will fire at say 3.8v or more
(just an example, but some mods/chipsets certainly seem to fire things a bit differently I found
& a tank on one mod might run best at 9.5w & another at 10.5w - not on you coils, but an example on my 1.4)
Just staying below the spitting point made a BIG difference to vaping experience or tasting the juice on my tongue

This then translated to other tanks and finding a 3.6v to 3.8v max was the sweet spot for MY COILS or TANKS/BUILDS

I'm not saying this will be your sweet spot - just saying try to find where the flavour starts to wain a bit
then bump it up a smidge - this way you are going to just the righ amount of power to get flavour, no spitting
and coils will last without cooking juice etc....

obviously there is LOT more to this shit, but you want to find your perfect setup & setting for YOUR build/tank/coil etc...
just the right amount of everything - cotton, volts/watts/power, airflow etc... for YOUR requirements is what I mean

Sure you can wack up the power 25% or more than you need - wow great flavour clouds - then will cook stuff that bit quicker

I know next to fuck all - but think RTA's compared to good stock coils take a bit more getting used to & learning the ropes

Kanthal is perfectly fine - just said don't go nutz if you can help it
coil will crud faster, juice will cook (at coil/wick mainly, but will darken if you really start going nutz in the kitchen)

It's all a learning curve, when you use a decent stock coil tank that works & lasts
then you go all DIY and hit issues/headaches it is easy to think - fuck this shit wicking agro, leaks & bollocks

Yeah I think coming from say a Zenith that just worked, it was a little shock to the system at times
some worked great (bit of luck), others were a fucking nightmare tasting like crap, leaking all over the place
I've sussed it - ergh no I haven't I got lucky I later concluded

Finding a wire and what Ohm build seems to work best for YOU is another
You will probably make a 1 Ohm coil on 27awg with 6 or 7 wraps, I got 29awg and seems 6 wraps works best at 1.4
(to do with wire as well as my own preferences - I tried a bit lower/less wraps and got different results/tastes I didn't like much
I got more of one flavour coming at me with a different 5 wrap coil to my usual 6 wrap setup - weird ? so stayed on 6 wrap coil)

It is a bit of a wank at times but rewarding, I still use the zenith often when rta is charging (and take as spare to work with rta)
But now after about 2 or 3 months of RTA "fun", I'm using my RTA's the most

I didn't know that altering the number of 'wraps' effects the set up as well....there's a lot to take in with rebuildables isn't there?! The type of wire, thickness of it, how many wraps, what deck/tank it's going on, preferred volts amps watts settings, juice, DIY or stock made.....yeh..i can see whay some folks might just think.."Ah feck it" i'll just go back to the stockies!

As far as this tank is concerned..going well...delivering the thick juice pretty well..for now. When i come to build my own coils, i stick to a similar number of wraps as the manufacturer supplied...but will play around with them for another RTA i have yet to use.

Looks like i need to better understand what this voltage setting does to a build..and how change it on me mods.

The Wattage is a guide and just a newer guide tbh

On most mods (regulated) it should say what volts its firing at as well as the Wattage it is set at
Some mods, you can tweak the voltage or a softer start/lower initial voltage if a tank spits (Vapefly Galaxies MTL RTA)
On that Vapefly it is a cunt on first draw, spits like a banshee and really don't like higher volts or it will spit from cold
So started to lower the volts or rather the WATTS - which dropped the volts also and found it had a real sweet spot
Just staying below the spitting point made a BIG difference to vaping experience or tasting the juice on my tongue

This then translated to other tanks and finding a 3.6v to 3.8v max was the sweet spot for MY COILS or TANKS/BUILDS

I'm not saying this will be your sweet spot - just saying try to find where the flavour starts to wain a bit
then bump it up a smidge - this way you are going to just the righ amount of power to get flavour, no spitting
and coils will last without cooking juice etc....

obviously there is LOT more to this shit, but you want to find your perfect setup & setting for YOUR build/tank/coil etc...
just the right amount of everything - cotton, volts/watts/power, airflow etc... for YOUR requirements is what I mean

Sure you can wack up the power 25% or more than you need - wow great flavour clouds - then will cook stuff that bit quicker

I know next to fuck all - but think RTA's compared to good stock coils take a bit more getting used to & learning the ropes

Got the Siren on the Aspire Zelos at the moment, just to test the tank out, and it's working fine...no spitting, nice strong flavour coming through..decent vapour..and no burning yet. Like this Siren tank..nice draw on it, not too airy, almost like th Naut Mini...good tank this.

The Zelos does have a voltage reading in the screen but it's currently showing 0.0, so guess it's not set to voltage. But i'll dig out the instruction manual (which i never bothered to look at when i got it - typical bloke!)...and 'learn' how it's done!

Got the Siren on the Aspire Zelos at the moment, just to test the tank out, and it's working fine...no spitting, nice strong flavour coming through..decent vapour..and no burning yet. Like this Siren tank..nice draw on it, not too airy, almost like th Naut Mini...good tank this.

The Zelos does have a voltage reading in the screen but it's currently showing 0.0, so guess it's not set to voltage. But i'll dig out the instruction manual (which i never bothered to look at when i got it - typical bloke!)...and 'learn' how it's done!

If you hold the plus and minus buttons you can choose voltage if you like and go up and down the voltage. It will show the wattage when you press fire and equally when in wattage mode it will show the volts when you fire. I quite like vaping in voltage mode on certain tanks.

Back
Top Bottom