What's new

Dovpo/Across Samdwich RDA Community Review

hack400

Olympian
Dovpo/Across Samdwich Community Review

Hello fellow apes, and welcome to another community review. This time we’re looking at the new Samdwich RDA from Dovpo/Across Vape, the same collaboration that brought the Pump Squonker to us.

First off, a quick thank you to Andy @dovpo_uk for organising the kit, sending it out and providing support. We would not be able to do these events without Andy’s support.

The testers for this event are made up of a few apes from the Dovpo Green Room (past testers), and we also ran a random pick from a sign up for an additional 3 members from the forum.

@Phrasing provided much needed support
@Chris K
@Genghis Fogs
@nwhornet
@oORobOo
@PhilBox
@Reggiec
@Willo3092
And myself, @hack400

Before I get into the review, I’d like to thank all of the testers for their time and input into the event.

And so…what are we looking at.

Intro to the Samdwich RDA

The Samdwich is a 22mm single coil RDA made from Stainless Steel that comes in 2 colours, SS and Gunmetal.

upload_2022-12-22_10-36-35.png

It has a 510 drip tip and 4 adjustable airflow settings.

upload_2022-12-22_10-37-0.png

There are also a range of top caps that can be purchased separately.

upload_2022-12-22_10-37-14.png

And on to the Review

upload_2022-12-22_10-37-45.png

In the Box

The tank comes in a nicely packaged box that contains the RDA and a spares bag. In the spares bag you’ll find a squonk pin, a spare 510 pin, some O rings, screws, and a couple of coils. No cotton or screwdriver. The box could have been a bit smaller, but it looks like Across are using a standard packaging design for their new tanks.

upload_2022-12-22_10-38-20.png

“I like the minimalist of the packaging, but it could have been smaller. When you start collecting a reasonable amount of kit - space becomes a premium for keeping boxes. The plastic lid was a bit tricky to get back down.” – Genghis Fogs

“Nicely packaged with a clear lid and easy to open with the little pull tab. Accessories neatly packaged in a small box.” – Willo3092

“Usual Dovpo quality packaging. Tab to lift plastic lid bit awkward if no nails, used flat head screwdriver.” – nwhornet

upload_2022-12-22_10-38-45.png

Construction

The Samdwich is a solidly constructed RDA that fits together nicely. The topcap is held in place by a single o ring which keeps it well sealed. The deck is quite spacious for such a small RDA, with good solid screws. The 510 threading is good, and the tank has a clean finish. Airflow adjuster is smooth and easy to adjust but stays in place, although I did find it difficult to see the settings on the Gunmetal version. Overall, it’s a nice little RDA.

“Threading smooth on 510 and squonk/solid pin. Finish looks like it'll last but airflow symbols hard to see on Gunmetal finish.” – mwhornet

“Solid, weighty RDA and nicely finished. The quality of the build is excellent. I really like the top airflow and easy adjustment.” Willo3092

“Fits together beautifully, no horrible squeaks or clunky bits. The screws for the coils don't loosen too quickly so you have a lot of control when putting in your coil with little chance of losing a screw. Easy to take the top off and check your liquid situation.” – PhilBox

**NOTE. The 510 threading is quite short, and may cause issues with beauty rings and perhaps on some mods.

“the length of the 510 connection could be better. it feels like it was made with the across pumper in mind and everything else be damned. I would have loved it so much more if I could run it on my luna or rsq” – phrasing

“My only niggle is that it looks so much better with a beauty ring (as I think all vertically sided 22mm atomisers do) but applying one reduces the range of mods that you get 510 contact on. I wish they had thought of this and made the 510 protrude a little bit more.” – Genghis Fogs

Building

The deck is a simple 2 screw design making it really easy to build into. There’s a couple of notches for your coil tool in while screwing down the coil. Easy enough to get in there to snip the coil legs. There should be no difficulty building into this deck.

upload_2022-12-22_10-39-52.png

upload_2022-12-22_10-40-11.png

upload_2022-12-22_10-40-29.png

“This deck is very easy to build on and could probably handle higher density coils than I've tried so far. Really like the size and sturdiness of the flat head screws. Anyone could build on this deck. I thought I'd have to set the coil high to get good flavour, but this wasn't really the case, just a littel tease to raise it up a little.” – Genghis Fogs

“Easy enough to mount coils and two notches help enure coil is at correct height. Screws hold coil secure and there's enough room to get the snips in to ensure you cut tight and no chance of shorting on top cap.” – nwhornet

“Found it quite easy building on the deck with my chubby fingers. Prefer a post less Deck to be honest” – Reggiec

Squonk setup

Let’s face it, this RDA was designed to sit atop the Dovpo/Across Pump Squonker, so how did it fare? Swapping the pin is easy, and it’s perfectly capable of supplying juice to the deck. I suppose I could say that the squonk pin should be pre-installed, but I’d say that about any RDA. Otherwise, really no issues from me here.

“No issues with running it in squonk mode. The pin swap is simple enough. Of course top airflow is a treat as you can forget about over squonking.” – Genghis Fogs

“seeing as it was made with squonking in mind I think the squonk pin should have been pre installed but I can't really complain. squonking in general with the pumper is ideal.” – Phrasing

“Used a Dovpo Pumper for the test and juice supply through the pin was flawless after initial priming.” – Willo3092

“Forgot to change the pin to squonk setup before putting in the coil and wicking (whoops) but it was so easy to pop out the normal pin from the bottom and insert the squonk pin without affecting the work I'd already done.” – PhilBox

Of course, it matches rather well. Seen here with a custom Drip Tip

upload_2022-12-22_10-41-12.png

How does it perform?

The question you all want to know, how good is it. Considering its size, the Samdwich is a well performing RDA. It produces a nice tasty vapour given it is a single coiler. There are 4 different airflow options which are adjusted by rotating the topcap and lining the required air hole symbol with the Samdwich logo.

Fully open here –

upload_2022-12-22_10-41-45.png

With the single hole airflow setting you get a fairly tight RDL (it’s nowhere near an MTL vape), and fully open it’s a loose RDL/DTL vape. Personally, I stuck it fully open and enjoyed it that way. My only complaint is that the symbols are almost impossible to see unless in daylight, but once set I wasn’t going to be changing it, so I was fine with it. The tank seals well, and there’s no chance of it leaking. With the airflow fully open it is quite a quiet tank, compared to some of the other RDA’s I have.

“This thing can chuck good clouds. It's in the range that I enjoy for a restricted direct to lung. Doesn't feel over the top or a total room fogger.” – Genghis Fogs

“Good vapour production if that's your thing” – mrhownet

“my slow ramp up strategy allowed me to keep the vapour production pretty low but if I went for a .15 I could have reduced visibility in my flat to 0 easily.” – phrasing

“I think the air flow options are the stand out aspect of this RDA. I quickly found my sweetspot and stuck to it (the large single hole). The range of airflow isn't huge but I feel that it will cater to a reasonable range of vaping styles and preferences within the restricted direct to lung range. I did notice that the 4x small hole option gave a bit of initial spit back on the draw. I like the design of rotating the top cap to select the airflow.” – Genghis Fogs

“It's clearly aimed more towards RDL Vapers. On the most open setting it has restriction but is stil a direct lung vape, on its lowest setting it's a tight RDL. No MTL even on the smallest setting there's too much airflow for a loose MTL. Very easy to control the airflow and see what setting you are on, nice resistance to the airflow control.” – oORobOo

“As an MTL vaper normally I would prefer to have an option for a tighter airflow. Even on the smallest airflow with one of the holes blocked up I still found it a little too airy for me.” – Willo3092

Roundup

Well, that’s all from me, there’s a whole load more feedback in the attached scorecards from all of the testers, and well worth a read. The Samdwich is a very good single coil RDA that is easy to build in to and performs well. It can be had for around £25, which is pretty good.

“This is definately in my top two favourite single coil squonk atomisers, along with the Nitrous. If I fancied a slightly more restricted draw i would reach for the Samdwich.” – Genghis Fogs

“Very nicely made. Looks smart particularly on the Pump Squonker. Love the airflow idea and design. As close to leak-proof as you are going to get with an RDA.” – oORobOo

“Easy to coil & wick, squonks well.” – nwhornet

“On the whole I really enjoyed testing this RDA. It is a very good looking, well made, weighty piece of kit and I couldn't see anything that is likely to break or wear out or otherwise decrease its longevity.” – Willo3092

“I really liked how easy it was to coil and wick. It looks solid and shiny but not over-egged, and the side airflow caps are nice too. I preferred the original cap though for aesthetics. I didn't have any leakage at all and, being a bit of a novice when it comes to squonking, that's a win!” – PhilBox

Scores on the doors.

Genghis Fogs 9.3/10
nwhornet 7.9/10
oORobOo 8.3/10
PhilBox 9.2/10
Phrasing 9.5/10
ReggieC 9.0/10
Willo3092 8.4/10
hack400 9.0/10
Final score 8.8/10

Well then, that’s that. I’d like to say thank you to all the testers for taking the time to participate in this test event. And lastly, I’d like to thank you for reading this review. I hope it has been informative, and balanced. If there’s anything that has been left out, please ask questions below.

Attachments

• Samdwich.pdf
    945.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
The one thing I noticed with the polished version is that it's hard to see the markings on the ring so need to take the cap off to see the airflow setting I have it at

The one thing I noticed with the polished version is that it's hard to see the markings on the ring so need to take the cap off to see the airflow setting I have it at

Yes, that is noted in the review. The top caps available as accessories have no markings, so even worse, but once set it stays in place.

Last edited:
Yes, that is noted in the review. The top caps available as accessories have no markings, so even worse, but once set it stays in place.
Yeah I think the more minimalist look of the side af caps is worth loosing the markings.

As @stuartd said its easy enough to take off the top part of the cap to see what you're doing.

Nice write up Hack400, well done to all the testers, it was good fun.

Excellent review. My only two observations on the Samdwich are 1. Like others I find seeing the airflow setting difficult in certain light. Not a major issue as I just leave it in full open mode but might be for others 2. The hole in the squonk pin seems a little small, works fine with the pumper but on other squonk mods there is a need to squonk a bit longer than with other RDAs.

However, and for the price, this is an excellent product. Even in full open mode there is a nice restriction to the draw. Flavour is top notch and it’s a well constructed and attractive tank. I really like the mechanism to adjust the airflow too, just wish it was a bit easier to see.

These community reviews are brilliant. Really useful and informative. Fair play to Andy for the initiative

Dovpo/Across Samdwich Community Review

Hello fellow apes, and welcome to another community review. This time we’re looking at the new Samdwich RDA from Dovpo/Across Vape, the same collaboration that brought the Pump Squonker to us.

First off, a quick thank you to Andy @dovpo_uk for organising the kit, sending it out and providing support. We would not be able to do these events without Andy’s support.

The testers for this event are made up of a few apes from the Dovpo Green Room (past testers), and we also ran a random pick from a sign up for an additional 3 members from the forum.

@Phrasing provided much needed support
@Chris K
@Genghis Fogs
@nwhornet
@oORobOo
@PhilBox
@Reggiec
@Willo3092
And myself, @hack400

Before I get into the review, I’d like to thank all of the testers for their time and input into the event.

And so…what are we looking at.

Intro to the Samdwich RDA

The Samdwich is a 22mm single coil RDA made from Stainless Steel that comes in 2 colours, SS and Gunmetal.

View attachment 302965

It has a 510 drip tip and 4 adjustable airflow settings.

View attachment 302966

There are also a range of top caps that can be purchased separately.

View attachment 302967

And on to the Review

View attachment 302968

In the Box

The tank comes in a nicely packaged box that contains the RDA and a spares bag. In the spares bag you’ll find a squonk pin, a spare 510 pin, some O rings, screws, and a couple of coils. No cotton or screwdriver. The box could have been a bit smaller, but it looks like Across are using a standard packaging design for their new tanks.

View attachment 302969

“I like the minimalist of the packaging, but it could have been smaller. When you start collecting a reasonable amount of kit - space becomes a premium for keeping boxes. The plastic lid was a bit tricky to get back down.” – Genghis Fogs

“Nicely packaged with a clear lid and easy to open with the little pull tab. Accessories neatly packaged in a small box.” – Willo3092

“Usual Dovpo quality packaging. Tab to lift plastic lid bit awkward if no nails, used flat head screwdriver.” – nwhornet

View attachment 302970

Construction

The Samdwich is a solidly constructed RDA that fits together nicely. The topcap is held in place by a single o ring which keeps it well sealed. The deck is quite spacious for such a small RDA, with good solid screws. The 510 threading is good, and the tank has a clean finish. Airflow adjuster is smooth and easy to adjust but stays in place, although I did find it difficult to see the settings on the Gunmetal version. Overall, it’s a nice little RDA.

“Threading smooth on 510 and squonk/solid pin. Finish looks like it'll last but airflow symbols hard to see on Gunmetal finish.” – mwhornet

“Solid, weighty RDA and nicely finished. The quality of the build is excellent. I really like the top airflow and easy adjustment.” Willo3092

“Fits together beautifully, no horrible squeaks or clunky bits. The screws for the coils don't loosen too quickly so you have a lot of control when putting in your coil with little chance of losing a screw. Easy to take the top off and check your liquid situation.” – PhilBox

**NOTE. The 510 threading is quite short, and may cause issues with beauty rings and perhaps on some mods.

“the length of the 510 connection could be better. it feels like it was made with the across pumper in mind and everything else be damned. I would have loved it so much more if I could run it on my luna or rsq” – phrasing

“My only niggle is that it looks so much better with a beauty ring (as I think all vertically sided 22mm atomisers do) but applying one reduces the range of mods that you get 510 contact on. I wish they had thought of this and made the 510 protrude a little bit more.” – Genghis Fogs

Building

The deck is a simple 2 screw design making it really easy to build into. There’s a couple of notches for your coil tool in while screwing down the coil. Easy enough to get in there to snip the coil legs. There should be no difficulty building into this deck.

View attachment 302971

View attachment 302972

View attachment 302973

“This deck is very easy to build on and could probably handle higher density coils than I've tried so far. Really like the size and sturdiness of the flat head screws. Anyone could build on this deck. I thought I'd have to set the coil high to get good flavour, but this wasn't really the case, just a littel tease to raise it up a little.” – Genghis Fogs

“Easy enough to mount coils and two notches help enure coil is at correct height. Screws hold coil secure and there's enough room to get the snips in to ensure you cut tight and no chance of shorting on top cap.” – nwhornet

“Found it quite easy building on the deck with my chubby fingers. Prefer a post less Deck to be honest” – Reggiec

Squonk setup

Let’s face it, this RDA was designed to sit atop the Dovpo/Across Pump Squonker, so how did it fare? Swapping the pin is easy, and it’s perfectly capable of supplying juice to the deck. I suppose I could say that the squonk pin should be pre-installed, but I’d say that about any RDA. Otherwise, really no issues from me here.

“No issues with running it in squonk mode. The pin swap is simple enough. Of course top airflow is a treat as you can forget about over squonking.” – Genghis Fogs

“seeing as it was made with squonking in mind I think the squonk pin should have been pre installed but I can't really complain. squonking in general with the pumper is ideal.” – Phrasing

“Used a Dovpo Pumper for the test and juice supply through the pin was flawless after initial priming.” – Willo3092

“Forgot to change the pin to squonk setup before putting in the coil and wicking (whoops) but it was so easy to pop out the normal pin from the bottom and insert the squonk pin without affecting the work I'd already done.” – PhilBox

Of course, it matches rather well. Seen here with a custom Drip Tip

View attachment 302974

How does it perform?

The question you all want to know, how good is it. Considering its size, the Samdwich is a well performing RDA. It produces a nice tasty vapour given it is a single coiler. There are 4 different airflow options which are adjusted by rotating the topcap and lining the required air hole symbol with the Samdwich logo.

Fully open here –

View attachment 302975

With the single hole airflow setting you get a fairly tight RDL (it’s nowhere near an MTL vape), and fully open it’s a loose RDL/DTL vape. Personally, I stuck it fully open and enjoyed it that way. My only complaint is that the symbols are almost impossible to see unless in daylight, but once set I wasn’t going to be changing it, so I was fine with it. The tank seals well, and there’s no chance of it leaking. With the airflow fully open it is quite a quiet tank, compared to some of the other RDA’s I have.

“This thing can chuck good clouds. It's in the range that I enjoy for a restricted direct to lung. Doesn't feel over the top or a total room fogger.” – Genghis Fogs

“Good vapour production if that's your thing” – mrhownet

“my slow ramp up strategy allowed me to keep the vapour production pretty low but if I went for a .15 I could have reduced visibility in my flat to 0 easily.” – phrasing

“I think the air flow options are the stand out aspect of this RDA. I quickly found my sweetspot and stuck to it (the large single hole). The range of airflow isn't huge but I feel that it will cater to a reasonable range of vaping styles and preferences within the restricted direct to lung range. I did notice that the 4x small hole option gave a bit of initial spit back on the draw. I like the design of rotating the top cap to select the airflow.” – Genghis Fogs

“It's clearly aimed more towards RDL Vapers. On the most open setting it has restriction but is stil a direct lung vape, on its lowest setting it's a tight RDL. No MTL even on the smallest setting there's too much airflow for a loose MTL. Very easy to control the airflow and see what setting you are on, nice resistance to the airflow control.” – oORobOo

“As an MTL vaper normally I would prefer to have an option for a tighter airflow. Even on the smallest airflow with one of the holes blocked up I still found it a little too airy for me.” – Willo3092

Roundup

Well, that’s all from me, there’s a whole load more feedback in the attached scorecards from all of the testers, and well worth a read. The Samdwich is a very good single coil RDA that is easy to build in to and performs well. It can be had for around £25, which is pretty good.

“This is definately in my top two favourite single coil squonk atomisers, along with the Nitrous. If I fancied a slightly more restricted draw i would reach for the Samdwich.” – Genghis Fogs

“Very nicely made. Looks smart particularly on the Pump Squonker. Love the airflow idea and design. As close to leak-proof as you are going to get with an RDA.” – oORobOo

“Easy to coil & wick, squonks well.” – nwhornet

“On the whole I really enjoyed testing this RDA. It is a very good looking, well made, weighty piece of kit and I couldn't see anything that is likely to break or wear out or otherwise decrease its longevity.” – Willo3092

“I really liked how easy it was to coil and wick. It looks solid and shiny but not over-egged, and the side airflow caps are nice too. I preferred the original cap though for aesthetics. I didn't have any leakage at all and, being a bit of a novice when it comes to squonking, that's a win!” – PhilBox

Scores on the doors.

Genghis Fogs 9.3/10
nwhornet 7.9/10
oORobOo 8.3/10
PhilBox 9.2/10
Phrasing 9.5/10
ReggieC 9.0/10
Willo3092 8.4/10
hack400 9.0/10
Final score 8.8/10

Well then, that’s that. I’d like to say thank you to all the testers for taking the time to participate in this test event. And lastly, I’d like to thank you for reading this review. I hope it has been informative, and balanced. If there’s anything that has been left out, please ask questions below.
A good in depth review, thanks for the time and effort guys.
This RDA seems a well constructed, well thought out bit of kit and I would think well suited to any MTL vaper who is struggling for flavour with their RBA. I think it would have a larger target market if it had an option of an 810 drip tip for vapers that dont own a squonk mod,

T'was a pleasure to test, thanks @dovpo_uk, @hack400, @Phrasing and team for the opportunity to try it out. :)

Glad it's genuinely a decent RDA because I was fully prepared to say it was crap and give it a 2 if needed.... And I saw whats gonna happen to nwhornet :18:

Back
Top Bottom