What's new

My views about the Passage RDA.

MarylinC37

Achiever
Hi people,

First up I’ve got no desire to be a proper reviewer but, having said that I’d ordered this RDA the other day, and having promised @Lee James 27 that I would report back about it, I felt that it might help other members if I started a separate thread about my thoughts.

I’m not going to go into loads of sales jargon. If you want to know all about it’s specs and what comes in the box etc, that’s easily available online by just doing a quick search.

I bought this to use to try out squonking for the first time so I now have it on my new Hotcig Squonk Mod courtesy of @Genghis Fogs kind giveaway.

I love the centre position of the squonk hole within a raised part of the build deck, as well as the nice deep juice well so you should never have any excuse to let the coil run dry. It’s also squonking perfectly on this mod.

For starters this can’t realistically be used in single coil mode so I decided to use a pair of 3mm framed staples. The build deck is an improved version of the old Velocity deck except that the screws come from the top and there are two floating clamps so you can put your coils in without deforming them.

Here are some piccies of my build with my preferred spaced wraps. The coils are positioned to be level with the top of the coil holes in the posts and pulled towards the air holes.

Passage-RDA03.jpg
Passage-RDA01a.jpg

Passage-RDA02.jpg
Passage-RDA04.jpg

Passage-RDA05.jpg

In particular Lee wanted to know about how tight the airflow is. The airflow is designed with 3 ‘passages’ so you have 3 choices of how many you want to open. I’ve been vaping my OG Blotto’s for years which are known for being a bit restricted and I vape those with the airflow fully open. With the Passage RDA I found it too loose opening all 3 passages and far too tight with just one open so I’ll leave it to the mathematical geniuses to figure out which setting I chose.

One issue I found is that if you choose to open just 1 or 2 passages you have to remove the drip tip {while leaving the airflow cap in place and correctly set to where you want it) then look into the barrel and give the outer barrel a twist to ensure the coils are directly lined up with the airflow holes.

I’ve been tooting on this for the last few hours and am currently vaping this build at 67W. The flavour I’m getting is really enjoyable but if this RDA appeals to you, you can make your own judgement.

Last edited:
Glad you`re getting on with it, how long do you get out of a fully charged battery at those settings ?

Glad you`re getting on with it, how long do you get out of a fully charged battery at those settings ?

To be honest I've been exclusively using 21700's for the last 4 years so I had to dig out the last 18650's I was using prior to that so I could really do with buying some new ones. As the Hotcig only takes a single battery I had to change the battery twice in a day but until I get one I can't say how much longer it would last with a new battery.

Hi people,

First up I’ve got no desire to be a proper reviewer but, having said that I’d ordered this RDA the other day, and having promised @Lee James 27 that I would report back about it, I felt that it might help other members if I started a separate thread about my thoughts.

I’m not going to go into loads of sales jargon. If you want to know all about it’s specs and what comes in the box etc, that’s easily available online by just doing a quick search.

I bought this to use to try out squonking for the first time so I now have it on my new Hotcig Squonk Mod courtesy of @Genghis Fogs kind giveaway.

I love the centre position of the squonk hole within a raised part of the build deck, as well as the nice deep juice well so you should never have any excuse to let the coil run dry. It’s also squonking perfectly on this mod.

For starters this can’t realistically be used in single coil mode so I decided to use a pair of 3mm framed staples. The build deck is an improved version of the old Velocity deck except that the screws come from the top and there are two floating clamps so you can put your coils in without deforming them.

Here are some piccies of my build with my preferred spaced wraps. The coils are positioned to be level with the top of the coil holes in the posts and pulled towards the air holes.

View attachment 338817 View attachment 338815

View attachment 338816 View attachment 338818

View attachment 338819

In particular Lee wanted to know about how tight the airflow is. The airflow is designed with 3 ‘passages’ so you have 3 choices of how many you want to open. I’ve been vaping my OG Blotto’s for years which are known for being a bit restricted and I vape those with the airflow fully open. With the Passage RDA I found it too loose opening all 3 passages and far too tight with just one open so I’ll leave it to the mathematical geniuses to figure out which setting I chose.

One issue I found is that if you just choose to open just 1 or 2 passages you have to remove the drip tip and look into the barrel to realign your coils to ensure the airholes are directly lined up with them.

I’ve been tooting on this for the last few hours and am currently vaping this build at 67W. The flavour I’m getting is really enjoyable but if this RDA appeals to you, you can make your own judgement.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and for answering my question about the airflow. I wouldn’t like having to adjust my coils to line up with the airflow holes depending on the configuration that I wanted but I’m pleased to hear that you are getting on with it. Thanks again.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and for answering my question about the airflow. I wouldn’t like having to adjust my coils to line up with the airflow holes depending on the configuration that I wanted but I’m pleased to hear that you are getting on with it. Thanks again.

Sorry @Lee James 27 . I worded that badly.

When you're aligning your coils with the airflow it's the outer barrel of the RDA that you need to twist into position rather than the coils so I shall edit that post to make it clearer. Keep the airflow cap set to the position you want while you're doing it.

I am also finding with this build that I can't really chain vape for too long as it gets very hot if I do and needs to cool down.

Last edited:
Sorry @Lee James 27 . .

I am also finding with this build that I can't really chain vape for too long as it gets very hot if I do and needs to cool down.

I get the impression that those posts are pretty large and take up quite a bit of space - and the top cap, although it looks wide, has the 'passages' on the inside that also reduce the interior space - so there probably isn't a lot of room inside it.

I'd try 2.5mm i.d. coils to try to open it up a little more if it's starting to get a bit toasty at 67 Watts. As there are additional honeycomb holes inside the cap it should still have a fair bit of air restriction.

I thought those coils looked to have a fair heft to them, that`s why I asked the battery question, you could try dual core claptons or just lately I`ve swapped out multi core coils for flat wire duals in my single cell mods and find that they ramp up much quicker, require less top end power and show much better battery life per charge for a very small drop in flavour, I use 3mm id 6 turn 24 g Ni 80 flat wire and they give .22 ohms

You're both quite right but those are all I had unless I try winding my own smaller coils but that still won't address the issue about the size of the posts.

I must admit you guys clearly know much more than I do about building RBA's so I have to just find what works for me.

To be honest I'm not really a fan of smaller diameter coils as I find it better to use a larger coil to deliver more juice to the coil and let the liquid do some of the work rather than demanding more from the coil to get the same amount of flavour.

Along with spacing my wraps I'm finding the flavour and cloud density is so much nicer with my single 4 spaced coils which is just how I like it. It's been working great in both my Blotto RTA as well as also the Dead Rabbit 3 RDA I'm using so I think that's what I'll stick with from now on.

Had the Passage, offloaded it, thought it was distinctly average at best.

Back
Top Bottom