What's new

An Apology from The Vaping Guru

Cheers Simon I’ll get back to this in good time, it merits a considered reply.

:)

also please remember that we were talking about that TV programme .. I was commenting specifically on the fact that I was shocked at the behaviour of some of the people on it.... at their general behaviour and the way they were acting towards their children.

I wasn't even really judging them, I just said I was shocked.... and you implied that they were that way because of the government, and I felt that you were making excuses for their behaviour. Where I think there isn't really any excuse some of what I saw, whatever situation they are in.

... I suppose also we should remember that a certain amount of 'playing up to the camera' (and editing) may have been in effect, that's what I meant when I said you are in a better position to judge the true reality of the situation.

also please remember that we were talking about that TV programme .. I was commenting specifically on the fact that I was shocked at the behaviour of some of the people on it.... at their general behaviour and the way they were acting towards their children.

I wasn't even really judging them, I just said I was shocked.... and you implied that they were that way because of the government, and I felt that you were making excuses for their behaviour. Where I think there isn't really any excuse some of what I saw, whatever situation they are in.

... I suppose also we should remember that a certain amount of 'playing up to the camera' (and editing) may have been in effect, that's what I meant when I said you are in a better position to judge the true reality of the situation.
i have seen some of these people first hand in and around the town, behind them in a queue in a shop etc, they are no different to the onscreen antics, what you see is what you get, maybe not all of them but the ones i have came across, they are every bit as mental as you pick up on screen

I wasn’t making excuses, more making an observation. You’re right about the editing, I recall some of the people who were featured on it I think were unhappy with how it was edited and how that portrayed them. It did have tabloid “let’s all have a laugh at the poor” elements imo.

Seeing as my "stupidity doesn't discriminate" comment started this discussion off I will throw my 2c in to the pot.

People are often not responsible for the situations and circumstances that they find themselves in and often have absolutely no control over their environment.

How they choose to react to those circumstances rests firmly at their own feet. A lot of people face adversity in life and come from shitty environments and troubled backgrounds. And yet they still succeed in life because of the choices and decisions they make. You cannot blame your behaviour on the government or anybody else. You can blame your circumstances and environment on them but how you choose to deal with it and what you do about it is down to you and you alone.

IMHO.

Last edited:
Seeing as my "stupidity doesn't discriminate" comment started this discussion off I will throw my 2c in to the pot.

People are often not responsible for the situations and circumstances that they find themselves in and often have absolutely no control over their environment.

How they choose to react to those circumstances rests firmly at their own feet. A lot of people face adversity in life and come from shitty environments and troubled backgrounds. And yet they still succeed in life because of the choices and decisions they make. You cannot blame your behaviour on the government or anybody else. You can blame your circumstances and environment on them but how you choose to deal with it and what you do about it is down to you and you alone.

IMHO.

I totally see where you’re coming from but I think at least to me that it’s a bit of an over simplistic view. Different people make different choices, yes, but we don’t make decisions in a vacuum. Everyone’s decision making is influenced by their surroundings and environment. I’m not saying nobody makes bad choices and that sometimes or even often it can be a matter of taking responsibility but what you have posted implies, to me, that anybody should be able to navigate their way out of adverse circumstances if they make the right choices, are smart enough, etc etc whatever, but I really don’t think this is the case at all.

I wasn’t making excuses, more making an observation. You’re right about the editing, I recall some of the people who were featured on it I think were unhappy with how it was edited and how that portrayed them. It did have tabloid “let’s all have a laugh at the poor” elements imo.

yeah, I certainly wasn't doing that .... I am one of the poor. ;)

just so you know and don't get the wrong impression of myself........

I live on an estate, in a housing association house, in a high unemployment black spot, I'm currently unemployed and I grew up in what we would call 'poverty' these days in a council house, with a manual worker father and a house wife mother.... I've never had 'money' and live month to month as most people do .... I left School in the middle of Thatcher's reign of terror, where you'd go into the job centre and 99% of the jobs were a pound an hour. I did Maggie's YTS scheme for 2 years for peanuts because it was the only way to even get a 'job' around here. ... like I said before I'm just judging them for their situation they find themselves in. I was just shocked because when I open my front door, I don't see that and my neighbours aren't like that. :)

but what you have posted implies, to me, that anybody should be able to navigate their way out of adverse circumstances if they make the right choices, are smart enough, etc etc whatever, but I really don’t think this is the case at all.

not at all mate, not at all.

.... I'm not one of 'them' I was hoping you'd have figured that out. :D

.... anyway.... I'm bored of this *hug

not at all mate, not at all.

.... I'm not one of 'them' I was hoping you'd have figured that out. :D

.... anyway.... I'm bored of this *hug

That was quoting the other guy (mitz?) wasn’t a response to you.

I think we probably agree more than disagree Simon it may be a difference in degree. Sounds like you’re of a similar stock to me. I remember my gran being angry cause the library was being run by “YOPies”. The original yts!

edit: except I don’t live on a council estate anymore, I’m pseudo bourgeois these days and will happily spend £15 on a bottle of wine as an impulse buy in the waitrose round the corner..!
:-D

Back
Top Bottom