What's new

BBC - Smokers increasingly overestimate vaping risk

I agree with the points - but disposables and the willingness of “rogue traders” to sell them to kids, and stock illegal high strength ones with marketing of a clearly dangerously cartoon like nature has led initially to the bad press and now the current proposed laws.

And those rogue traders are not small in number - you can buy this shit at a lot of the wholesalers that a lot of b and m shops use *cough* manchester *cough*

The current outcome is entirely fuelled by the self destructive actions of a greedy uncaring portion of the industry itself.

The press do what the press do - the kindling needs to be lit before they fan the flames

agreed. i think the chinese manufacturers such as the stuff you posted the other day, and influencers and other types of online advertisers own some responsibility for the current mess as well. maybe the latter more so than the former, who obvs just want to churn out as much cheap shite as they think people will pay money for. blind self interest often leads to bad consequences.

I agree with the points - but disposables and the willingness of “rogue traders” to sell them to kids, and stock illegal high strength ones with marketing of a clearly dangerously cartoon like nature has led initially to the bad press and now the current proposed laws.

And those rogue traders are not small in number - you can buy this shit at a lot of the wholesalers that a lot of b and m shops use *cough* manchester *cough*

The current outcome is entirely fuelled by the self destructive actions of a greedy uncaring portion of the industry itself.

The press do what the press do - the kindling needs to be lit before they fan the flames
Sad but very true and have seen it in many places I've visited. I understand the disposable ban to a point but for the life of me cant see any justification for a flavour ban.

it’s not easy to ban something that has been culturally entrenched for centuries. better just to let it fade away, as seems to be happening. no need for a shifting age limit imo.

the other thing to keep in mind is smokers can be prone to severe cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias. i used to do this myself. they often convince themselves that smoking isn’t as bad as it is made out to be, and safer alternatives are portrayed as much more harmful than they actually are. i think that’s a factor with this.

some will jump on, and even misinterpret and exaggerate, anything that justifies their continuing to smoke.
Fair point.

it’s not easy to ban something that has been culturally entrenched for centuries. better just to let it fade away, as seems to be happening. no need for a shifting age limit imo.

the other thing to keep in mind is smokers can be prone to severe cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias. i used to do this myself. they often convince themselves that smoking isn’t as bad as it is made out to be, and safer alternatives are portrayed as much more harmful than they actually are. i think that’s a factor with this.

some will jump on, and even misinterpret and exaggerate, anything that justifies their continuing to smoke.

Agree, my window cleaner is a smoker who really needs to quit, he's been down with umpteen chest infections this wee while.....he knows I vape but has stated that everyone he knows that vapes is fkin glued to the thing, I explained that the nic delivery is different and some tweaking will be required...he still smokes cos he doesn't want to be glued to the fkin thing as he thinks that's worse

It's so simple you wonder why there is any confusion around it, vaping is far less damaging to your health than smoking.

It's so simple you wonder why there is any confusion around it, vaping is far less damaging to your health than smoking.
And that, specifically, IMO, is what the media could be doing a lot better.

As distributors of "news" I wish they would put some effort into seeking out facts, not just reporting hackneyed viewpoints and soundbites.

An article might say "{RandomPolitico} says that vaping is a gateway to getting kids hooked on smoking, but {RandomProVaper} says vaping has helped thousands of adult smokers quit".

One of these is true, the other isn't, but you'd never know which is which from reading the papers.

It's basically this old journalism chestnut: "If someone says it's raining, and another person says it's dry, it's not your job to quote them both. Your job is to look out the fucking window and find out which is true."

Sad but very true and have seen it in many places I've visited. I understand the disposable ban to a point but for the life of me cant see any justification for a flavour ban.
There isnt one other than misplaced virtue signalling

One used to be true - the other false

Sadly these days its one is true -
The other is partially true, because of the rash of underage disposable sales.

Its harder use the “not a gateway for kids” argument now - because of the reasons in my post above.

The greed and rampant sales have taken that away from us.

Last edited:
Its harder use the “not a gateway for kids” argument now - because of the reasons in my post above.
No it's not...

There has always been a demand for nicotine since time immemorial, whether under-age or not; it's not going to change.

If kids get hooked on nicotine, then at least they don't have to do it in the deadly fashion that people of previous generations had to, so are actually very lucky in that respect.

It's all a load of fucking BS.

No it's not...

There has always been a demand for nicotine since time immemorial, whether under-age or not; it's not going to change.

If kids get hooked on nicotine, then at least they don't have to do it in the deadly fashion that people of previous generations had to, so are actually very lucky in that respect.

It's all a load of fucking BS.

in a perfect world, or even a reasonably sane one. but you need to factor in the circumstances we live in. which means it is.

Back
Top Bottom