What's new

Changing coils

omroth

Postman
I fit a new coilogy MTL staple 4-1*.3/40 into the True, pulse it and check it's heating relatively evenly and is a nice blue colour. Wick it fatly. Get great, subtle flavour on Manabush Cola Base (my bellweather juice) at 15W (the coil usually reads 0.55, even though it's supposed to end up at 0.68).

Every hundred/hundred and fifty puffs or so I might re-wick it.

At some point usually between 250 and 500 puffs later there'll be an off burnt taste. If I put the deck in an ultrasonic with hot water and washing up liquid for 3x3 min bursts, there's probably a 50% chance it'll come out and get a 90% good vape out of it. And a 50% chance the flavour is just muted.

If I just need to change the coil every time, I'm at peace with that - it's still cheap and I'm a flavour chaser. I've tried a lot of other kinds of wire and nothing gets particularly close to the staples with the Cola juice. The higher-ohm single clapton I wrap works fine for (for example) the MB raspberry cola. But the staple just nails it.

Generally I will only re-wick an MTL tank after I've vaped a complete 10ml bottle of 20mg salts - admittedly the last 2ml or so isn't quite as flavoursome as when it is freshly wicked, but I wouldn't really describe it as unpleasant or muted.

Normally I only vape MTL in the first few hours of the morning and if I'm out shopping or driving so I only get through 10ml of salts every 2 weeks or so - I use the same Coilology Ni80 MTL staple wire (0.5 to 0.6ohm build at 16W) and generally I only consider changing the coil after I've vaped about 40ml of salts (2 to 3 months maybe?) - but I'm not convinced its absolutely necessary - I only do it because spools of wire are cheap, and I did use the same MTL staple coil in my old KF Lite 2019 for almost 6 months with no unpleasant experiences

I appreciate many people like to rewick daily but after 100 - 150 puffs?

I recommend that when you rewick - pull the wicks, dry burn the coil and immerse the hot coil in a cup of cold water (take care only to dip the tank as far as the coils) - repeat a couple of times, then put the tank in your cleaner if you feel it is justified. Ultrasonic cleaners are good but sometimes sweeteners and flavouring residue can bake on to the nooks and crannies of a coil and be difficult to shift, maybe it is this residue that is still present that gives you the occasional odd taste after rewicking?

I suggest you dry burn when you rewick just in case. Also it may be worth checking the coil for hot spots each time you rewick as the coil could have been disturbed - if so, strum out the hotspots as you would for a new build and DON'T FORGET to check the inside and underside of the coil..

Other than that I have no idea. I vape VERY sweet MTL juices and don't have any of the hassles you describe. But I've only vaped salts and freebase - when it comes to NETs I'm clueless.

Don't see the attraction of complex coils for MTL myself. Needless faff and asking for trouble cooking the liquid in such a small chamber.

The stronger flavours might mask it... I dont know. That's great advice - I have tried it though. Maybe its vaping quite a lot over a couple of hours... maybe it's only being 4.5mg or so... dont know.

I will try rewicking less often.

Actually @Crispycritters , I reckon these coils probably last me about 20-30ml of 6mg 50-50 juice before they start to go. So it's not a million miles off.

Back
Top Bottom