What's new

Charging through the board on DNA mods

Genghis Fogs

Postman
I've always been pretty strict on charging batteries on externally. But recently, and without much thought I've been charging a lipo through the usb port on a Halcyon (taking the lipo out is a faff and I assumed that it should be fine on a DNA board).
So two questions; is it okay charging a lipo through a DNA board? And if that's okay, is it okay to change batteries through a DNA board?

No issues here charging Lipos on DNA boards. Evolv have dedicated charging circuit providing balanced charge to ensure multi cell Lipos charge evenly. Good tip is to set charge limit to 99% through Escribe.

That's interesting, why would you do that?
Not charging to 100% puts less stress on the cells.

Most interesting would be the how would you do that?
In the battery tab there's a tab for "maximise puffs" or "maximise recharges". The second option drops capacity to around 4.1v per cell. On older non colour boards it's less important from what I've seen. More important, especially for C variants is to set cut off no lower than 3v if using the mod & disconnect from board if not being used for any length of time. The board still drains the battery pack and on LiPos going too low it's a pain trying to recover the cells. Goosed one LiPo pack because voltage had dropped to around 2v & couldn't be recharged.

Never had a problem charging through a Dna board

Early Dna 200 boards where made to use 3 cell Lipo battery's and charge them

iC3gK5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not charging to 100% puts less stress on the cells.

In the battery tab there's a tab for "maximise puffs" or "maximise recharges". The second option drops capacity to around 4.1v per cell. On older non colour boards it's less important from what I've seen. More important, especially for C variants is to set cut off no lower than 3v if using the mod & disconnect from board if not being used for any length of time. The board still drains the battery pack and on LiPos going too low it's a pain trying to recover the cells. Goosed one LiPo pack because voltage had dropped to around 2v & couldn't be recharged.

That's exactly what I do (even if I am using standard Li-Ion batteries).
I have a small collection of DNA based mods:
1. 75c: Therion, Therion BF, Thor, Thor II
2. 250c: Paranormal, Triade, Drone
3. 100c: Hyperion (and Thelema Solo is on the way).
As you described, the "maximise recharge" set in Escribe puts the limit to something around 4.1V in the pretty similar way what my last phone does, stooping charging at 80%.
Cutout voltage is set on 3.1V.
Regarding the board drain: yes, even the clock consumes some power but I have noticed that the drone (2x18650, NDA250C) was around 80% while it was not in sue for some 2 months now.

Back
Top Bottom