What's new

Deathwish ReGenisis Mech Review

P

Phrasing

20230308_162333.jpg
20230308_162156.jpg

Greetings apes,

I decided to treat myself to a new mech for my birthday and since I don't see many mechanical mod reviews on here I thought I'd do a write-up for fun.

Standard disclaimer stuff: I wasn't paid to make this review (or asked), my thoughts and opinions are my own - if you don't like them feel free to fuc... comment ;)

The mech/RDA combo I will be looking at is the new Deathwish Modz Regenesis.

My experience with Deathwish in the past has been good, the 20700 Ghost Ship Crossbones mech was my first "high-end" bit of kit and to this day is one of my favourites.

Deathwish pretty much fell off the map in recent years and I was excited to see their first new offering.

First impressions

When I opened the box, the first thing that hit me was,

"Much smaller than the pictures looked".

20230306_091048.jpg

It's shorter than your average mech mod and roughly the same in height as my beloved 21700 Vapesmarter mod.
The weight is nice, it's not a dainty piece by any means but not as heavy as you might expect given its boxy design and big battery.

What's in the box

20230308_163720.jpg

The packaging from Deathwish is always a pleasure, their gothic aesthetic and display layouts are something I've always found cool in a nostalgic kind of way.
The mod and RDA are laid out in black foam with velvet-like top, keeping the kit safe and acting as a decent way to display the kit when it's not in use.
The spares were located inside the battery compartment and although there is no 18650 adapter (no one is buying this to use with an 18650 surely) there is everything else you could need; squonk pin, deck screws, and even replacement springs for the fire bar.
The included screwdriver is black and chunky compared to your average little blue bastard but I would still rather use a proper one.
My first big gripe with this is that there are no instructions. I'm no beginner and the kit is obviously designed for advanced users. I found the teardown of the mod and the building of the RDA a piece of cake but since you have to remove the battery sled to get to your contacts (for cleaning) it would've been nice to have some reassurance that I'm not going to mess it up if I remove the wrong screw.

20230308_161030.jpg

Aesthetics

20230308_161708.jpg 20230308_161630.jpg

The finish is badass! I liked all the colours, and I spent a long time trying to pick which one I wanted before I set my sights on 'Purple Pain'. Honestly though I would have been just as pleased with any of the 5 available choices. The deeply engraved graphics on 3 sides are very tactile and nicely painted.
Compared to my Ghost Ship Crossbones the engravings look fantastic. Deathwish has lived up to its reputation for interesting and well-designed artwork.
The hybrid 510 plate looks to be removable so if you get atty rash on it I'm confident you could remove, sand, and repaint it with ease.

20230306_090610.jpg

The mod

20230308_161315.jpg

The mod is excellent, it has a comfortable shape, and plenty of safety features for the mech-weary but still hits hard enough to be able to play with the likes of Kennedy or Timesvape.
This is my first side-fire mech. I will admit I was worried about it not firing unless I hit it in just the right place.
My worries were unfounded though I can press the fire bar anywhere from the top to the bottom and it fires perfectly every time.
The addition of the erm.. fins? at the top and bottom (the parts that give it the coffin shape) mean that there is really only one way to hold it, which for me is fine, but the more sausage-fingered users may run into problems.
The battery door is held on by magnets and there is no play or movement - when it's on it's secure.

The RDA

20230308_160243.jpg

I am much less impressed with the RDA.
I'm no stranger to a dual coil cloud chaser, although I'll usually take a single coil if possible.
28mm wide and 35mm tall, it's one of the biggest RDAs I own.
What annoys me about it is the unnecessary height.
I have a set of 3.5mm ID Aliens in there that look tiny.
If they had slammed it down as much as 30% the look and more importantly the flavour would have been greatly improved.
The inverted cross design elements are form over function, so much so that the top 8 airflow holes don't even go all the way through.
20230307_191346.jpg
And the top portion of the posts does nothing but get in the way if you're trying to look down at your coils.
I get what they were going for but I think the RDA was an afterthought that for me hasn't quite landed.
That's not to say I don't like anything about it, the 2 post build deck is easy to build on and the domed juice well is great for squonkers and drippers alike.

Final thoughts

My conclusion is mostly good, a little bit bad, I really like the mod much more than I dislike the RDA.

In the end, what it has to come down to is, am I glad I bought it? And would I recommend it to someone else?
...yes, on both counts.

Complaints aside it still provides a good enough performance to justify what I paid for it.
I have no shortage of purple RDAs to throw on it and even a big RTA is going to work great.
For example, before I set up the RDA I threw on my Arcane13 RDA which IMO looked and performed like it was made for it.
My next experiment will be with the Blotto RTA's on it. I have the SC, 1.5 and OG - any of which, plus the max would fit nicely with the skull design and save me the need to drip.

Nice write-up @Phrasing. It's a stunning looking mod regardless of the apparent compromises on the RDA for aesthetics. That's another nice one for your collection.

I prefer side firing FWIW.

Nice write-up @Phrasing. It's a stunning looking mod regardless of the apparent compromises on the RDA for aesthetics. That's another nice one for your collection.

I prefer side firing FWIW.
Thank you.

What they did with the juice moat on the deck is really good though, I haven't seen it before but it's something I could happily get used to.

This is just volume 1 of the deathwish comeback apparently so I'm interested to see what comes next.

Good review fella, looks a decent beast....... my old eyes struggled with the font type( only the white, the purple is fine)

Last edited:
Definitely a niche aesthetic* but nice to see a UK brand back from the ashes.

Is there not a ultem insert to reduce the chamber of the RDA?

Good write up!

* As a shameless 80s thrash fan it's my niche :8:

Good review fella, looks a decent beast....... my old eyes struggled with the font ( only the white, the purple is fine)
A decent beast is what I'd call it, I'm freezing my nuts off because I can't use it with the window closed without setting off my fire alarms lol, I can't believe I'm saying this but bring on summer

Definitely a niche aesthetic* but nice to see a UK brand back from the ashes.

Is there not a ultem insert to reduce the chamber of the RDA?

Good write up!

* As a shameless 80s thrash fan it's my niche :8:
Thank you.

Yeah the ultem insert is there but it's like they were chasing a problem rather than just fixing it.
I didn't try it without the insert and I can't really think of a reason why anyone would, which to me says why not just make the atty shorter.

I'm one of those that thinks it's fugly but regardless a very good review mate. :)

I'm one of those that thinks it's fugly but regardless a very good review mate. :)
Thank you,

Like wraith said its a very niche aesthetic, but I'm a death metal loving former goth kid so it's right up my alley.

Tbh I don't think they will sell that many but it is really good to see a brand that I thought was gone getting a comeback.

Back
Top Bottom