What's new

Do you go around your elbow to get to your ass?

I don't know a guy who rides to work on a donkey. That was a lie. I made it up.

I do mix by weight, though, like all rational-thinking people.

I mix by weight.Nothing to do with cleaning up mess?
Simply because it is a very accurate way, for me to replicate exactly a good recipe.
I use percentages to mix and the online calculators make it a breeze to get the exact measurement needed.
Some flavourings and additives need a precise measurement which no matter how careful you are with syringes, you will never get.
If I get a mix I can easily duplicate that again and again with no detriment to the flavour through the percentages.
At the end of the day there is no right or wrong way to mix. You do what suits you and measuring by weight suits me because of the above!
There will always be a margin of error to account for regardless of how you approach it. I don't understand why some think they cannot accurately duplicate a recipe when measuring by volume, and I hear that often. In my mind, the lines measuring volume on whatever tool you are using will always be in the same exact place, which will yield the same results time and time again. Something as simple as an air vent blowing on your scale one time, but not the text, can yield different results. To me, volume measurements will only have human error, weighing adds to that with mechanical malfunction/error.

I don't intend to try and convince anyone to change their methods. If it works for you by all means keep doing it. I just like to hear why and how people do things differently than I do, might learn something new and I'm always down for that!

I don't know a guy who rides to work on a donkey. That was a lie. I made it up.

I do mix by weight, though, like all rational-thinking people.

I would bet that if you've holidayed in Europe at all you've bumped into someone who does.

I don't intend to try and convince anyone to change their methods. If it works for you by all means keep doing it. I just like to hear why and how people do things differently than I do, might learn something new and I'm always down for that!

I'll bet 20p that if you get a set of scales and start to mix by weight, you will learn something. Most notably, what a load of bollocks you've written above.

I must admit, I like going around my elbow. A much nicer view than my arse.

Each flavour concentrate has a specific gravity which you can find online and store in a calculator, or use 1ml to 1 gram if you prefer.

When filling the bottles with PG/VG I prefer to add the amount shown in the calculator rather than just filling the bottle to the neck. More accurate.

Each to their own. :)
I guess after doing it for so long, I know where on the bottle the mixture needs to be to equal whatever amount I'm aiming for. It depends on my mood which route I take.

As my hobby expands, so does my collection of flavors. Maybe I am just lazy about it, but having to find and record specific gravity for each one doesn't sound exciting to me. Just extra work. Especially when often at times I can measure drops needed for the more complex recipes.

Maybe I am just weird, I just find it intriguing how everyone has a different method for the same outcome.

I do a mixture of both. Sometimes I make 20 bottles at a time that may involve 30 flavours so that's potentially 30 syringes just for the flavourings.

I use one giant syringe for the nicotine - it's far simpler to squirt 2.5ml into each bottle than add by weight, but with the flavourings often being as low as 0.3ml these are far easier to dispense by weight.
Ah, that's another point I hear a lot in regards to getting measurements less than a ml that baffles me. I have 1ml syringes that I have no problem measuring with. And, 1 drop = 0.05ml which is my preferred method of measuring out below a ml. When it comes to getting weight that small, the tiniest of objects can unknowingly land/fall on the scale that can drastically change the outcome.

Maybe I just over complicate things that shouldn't be. I do appreciate everyone's input. I really would like to understand why it's such a popular method because it really doesn't make sense to me. I have seen so many people get ugly over this, but it's because they try to convince others to change their ways. I just want a better understanding of it.

I mix by weight because I find it far easier, I just take it Pg 1ml=1gram vg is about 1.24 , might not be exact but won't be far away
The weight for the vg, pg, and nicotine should be pretty standard I would think. It's the flavors that it gets hairy. I have some flavors I use that if they are off by even 0.05ml it is ruined. So, if the scale doesn't calibrate properly I will have a bottle of trash.

@maiamly I'm in your camp... As I only mix 2/3 different flavours. 350ml (whiskey bottle.) 2 syringes. 1 for nic 1 for concentrates (rinsed between flavours).
I use pg nic/concentrates then just fill the bottle up with VG. Creature of habit me. ;)

Ah, that's another point I hear a lot in regards to getting measurements less than a ml that baffles me. I have 1ml syringes that I have no problem measuring with. And, 1 drop = 0.05ml which is my preferred method of measuring out below a ml. When it comes to getting weight that small, the tiniest of objects can unknowingly land/fall on the scale that can drastically change the outcome.

Maybe I just over complicate things that shouldn't be. I do appreciate everyone's input. I really would like to understand why it's such a popular method because it really doesn't make sense to me. I have seen so many people get ugly over this, but it's because they try to convince others to change their ways. I just want a better understanding of it.
Why not give it a try then, what you got to lose, the price of a set of scales, if you really want to be precise, weigh your syringe put 10ml in syringe and weigh your concentrate, take it from there

Back
Top Bottom