What's new

Getting into DIY.

MetalVape90

Achiever
Ok so I’ve been planning on going head first into DIY eliquid making with singular concentrates. So far I’ve setup my shopping list of what I’ll be needing:
Digital scales up to two decimal points.
100ml to 500ml measuring jug.
Electric AA-battery whisk.
30 or 50ml soft bottle with needle tip.
10ml syringe with a 22-24 gauge blunt tip needle.

The 30 to 50ml soft bottle with a needle tip lid will be used to decant PG into the mix and the 10ml syringe with either a 22 or 24 gauge blunt tip needle will be for adding my nic to the mix.

For concentrates I’ve got a few 30ml bottles of Capella at the moment and I have been looking to get a lot more concentrates in from various manufacturers due to differences in strengths of the concentrates because for example a Strawberry from Capella could be weaker than a Strawberry from TFA or Flavour West.

Is there anything I need to know or should know before diving down this rabbit hole. I have experience with premixed concentrates like bottle shots and one shots so it’s time I started experimenting on my own.

Dont bother with premixed base
Start with one or two recipes
Get a decent smaller bottle to decant VG in for when you mix, its easy to get heavy handed
Dont make more than test 10mls when you start or youll be going through a shitlot of nic
Write down your recipes and add notes to tweak them
Theres a lot of sales and codes - sub to emails for flash sales
ELR forum can be really helpful

(and I love my little whisk :) )

Ok so I’ve been planning on going head first into DIY eliquid making with singular concentrates. So far I’ve setup my shopping list of what I’ll be needing:
Digital scales up to two decimal points.
100ml to 500ml measuring jug.
Electric AA-battery whisk.
30 or 50ml soft bottle with needle tip.
10ml syringe with a 22-24 gauge blunt tip needle.

The 30 to 50ml soft bottle with a needle tip lid will be used to decant PG into the mix and the 10ml syringe with either a 22 or 24 gauge blunt tip needle will be for adding my nic to the mix.

For concentrates I’ve got a few 30ml bottles of Capella at the moment and I have been looking to get a lot more concentrates in from various manufacturers due to differences in strengths of the concentrates because for example a Strawberry from Capella could be weaker than a Strawberry from TFA or Flavour West.

Is there anything I need to know or should know before diving down this rabbit hole. I have experience with premixed concentrates like bottle shots and one shots so it’s time I started experimenting on my own.

Just take your time with it mate and don't overcomplicate it - 100% get rid of the whisk as it's not needed. I have been mixing my own liquid for about 7 years now and never used one.

I tend to buy my PG and VG in 5 litre sizes, then I mix up a 50/50 base liquid at 3mg which I add straight to concentrates (usually at 15-20%, depending on the flavour/producer). Never needed the scales either to be honest. I used to use Capella or TMBNotes (until they changes out their red bull concentrate to a new reciepe which I really don't like).

I was going to start on making 10mls to begin with because it’s guaranteed I’m going to mess up quite a bit and I’ll be using various eliquid mixing calculators online to use as a reference. Might grab another note book to write down what ratios work and don’t work or I’ll just create an account on one of these eliquid mixing calculating sites and use it to store and revise recipes.

The only reason I thought I could do with an electric whisk is to break down the barrier between the nic, VG, PG and concentrate barrier and aid in getting it all blended together.

If you are going to get into mixing the first thing I'd say is get yourself a decent RDA that's quick and simple to build on. You can then change the cotton quickly whenever you want to test different flavours and recipes.

I would suggest dump the syringe. I never use them. Scales are way, way faster and much more accurate.

I use a mini mixer because it does a better job of mixing everything, especially once you start mixing larger batches. It does froth it all up but I mix in a decent sized plastic gravy jug and after it's all mixed I put the jug in the fridge for a few hours until the froth has all disappeared and then it's ready to be bottled.

I find it easier to mix straight in to bottles, rather than a jug. Once it’s in the bottle, sit it in a sink with hot water surrounding it (but not able to get in it) for 10 mins, and then give it a damn good shake. [Hot water melts VG into a thinner state, which mixes better when you’re shaking it] The VG goes gloopy again once it cools. Mixer is optional really.

Edit: Oh, don’t try getting VG into a syringe, you’ll lose the will to live.

Mixing by weight meant I never found any need for a measuring jug, whisk or a syringe apart from 10ml testers. Once you move on to mixing larger amounts a funnel is useful when decanting and screenshots from a mixing calculator is an easy way to record your recipes. Mixing your own is easy and much cheaper so good luck with it.

20240211_144238.jpg

Usually poured into 250ml bottles, with the flavour cons and nic, all weighed. Slightly warmed in the microwave, then into 1 litre bottles. shake and store.
Smaller blends are done variously in 30ml, 60, 100, 120ml bottles, only warming up the vg first, before adding to the bottles.

20240211_145601.jpg

A lot of you lot have been doing DIY for a long time and I don’t have the confidence like all of you to just slap everything together and call it a day lol. Since I’m using the “stronger than usual” nic out there instead of nic shots I figured a syringe with a blunt needle tip might be useful when mixing in smaller amounts for testing (10ml) before going on to mixing in bigger batches. It does scare me that if I mixed let’s say 60ml for my first attempt and it ends up tasting like dish soap that’s quite an error to make. I’m wanting to make as many chances as possible to get a recipe right without making large amounts of waste due to failed mixes in the process.

I am worried that next year there maybe a flavour ban/restriction so I’m hoping to bypass that flavour ban/restriction by making my own.

Back
Top Bottom