What's new

Electric Kettle Vaping

Would love to try some flat wire, but I normally use 28-30 gauge ss wire, and the thinnest flat wire I can find is 24 gauge :17:

A bit of a moron, I recently bought some ribbon wire, thinking it was flat wire, cause it was on sale. Thankfully, @John R talked me out of using it :18:

Funny that, all i have seen is 24 gauge flat wire usually by crazy wire co.

Stealthvape have 25g flat kanthal it’s all I use and that’s for Mtl, they do 25g Brochrome flat too.

Had a bit of a chuckle as spaced coils are really old school :D Use ss round wire and always spaced, but occasionally I use a spaced Clapton; always with tc.

Temp control doesn’t always work well with very complex coils, and generally not under about 0.3ohms. But spaced coils are great regardless, though they can be too large for the build deck ;)

I knew I'd seen spaced coils before but I'd never really given it a thought.

It had always bothered me that all the juicy cotton was covered up by metal so the juice had to fight it's way through because I felt it would cause the build to gunk up and burn much quicker. I felt if I could deliver more juice and make it cover more of the metal coil it would give me a better result and WOW. The difference was incredible.

@vapervince came up with a good point about twisting the cotton to make it protrude more through the wraps which I'm going to try on my next build.

Give flatwire a go if you're gonna use TC. :)

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I'd already placed an order for the twisted wire I posted about earlier but that's a useful tip to know since this will be my first go with TC.

Last edited:
@MarylinC37, from an old article that you may or may not be interested in reading.

What an interesting read - thanks so much for posting that.

The first point in my mind when I'm thinking about my build is the boiling point of my juice to get it to produce the vapour. Then I'm also thinking about the juice acting as a coolant keeping the metal coil from getting hotter than it needs to be to keep down the amount of burning effect.

If you make a cup of coffee in a 3kw kettle you don't get any burnt flavour because the water never lets the heating plate get too hot.

Then, of course, as pointed out in that article, there is surface area to think about to produce the big clouds. That's where finding the right coil is important. You want to create enough heating points but at the same time you don't want the ramp up time to be too slow.

Lastly, if I surround the coil with enough juice not only does it produce a much denser cloud but it also keeps the metal cool enough that your cotton and coils will get burned and gunked up far more slowly so your juice will taste nicer and your builds will last a lot longer.

That's my theory at least.

I want to test out the TC idea to see what difference that makes but if it doesn't work out I'll just carry on with what I'm doing right now as it is working incredibly well.

I said I would post back after I had tried out using temp control mode with my current setup and it has definitely been a big improvement.

The coil wire I use is Ni80 which is OK for TC so I all had to change was the appropriate mod setting.

What I was after was to get the nice flavour to last for longer in my Blotto RTA before I needed to change the cotton and coil.

Until now I never looked at temp control before and now I wish I’d tried it years ago. It has given me far more consistent flavour from top to bottom of the tank. It’s also clearly helped to significantly slow down the build up of gunk and degradation of the flavour.

I’ve honestly got to the point where I can’t see anything else I can improve with this setup and the taste and enjoyment of my vaping now is just amazing. Intense, moist, flavourful clouds; no chance of ever getting a dry hit; and apart from refilling the tank when it’s empty it is pretty much a vape and go setup for two weeks before I need to change my build.

I can’t see me changing this setup now for years to come.

Once you go tc, you just say “Wee-Hee” :18: Okay, that was really bad :17: But I have never wanted to look back after I started with tc! Just today I put a kanthal build in my rta for a change; it is just not the same. There’s nothing that can compare to tc imo. Truly happy for you, it’ll give a great deal of pleasure, I suspect :2thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom