What's new

Electric Kettle Vaping

MarylinC37

Achiever
Hi Guys

I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of this but I thought I’d share this idea, both to get your comments and also to maybe give some people a few ideas about how to get a better vape.

I’m still using my Blotto RTA’s that I bought about 4 years ago. They were my first rebuildables so in the beginning I was pretty clueless about the best way to build them and I just followed other peoples tips. At the time those tips pointed me towards using a pair of 3mm coils which always worked well enough and the vape was great. However, after 4 to 6 tanks the flavour was clearly going off as the gunk built up.

About 3 or 4 months back I had a thought. If you turn on an electric kettle with no water in it the plate inside will totally over heat and it’ll blow up. The water you put into it acts like a coolant which prevents it from blowing up. At the same time, the water only ever needs to reach boiling point and then you get all the steam.

That made me think of trying a different way to install my coils. I bought myself a reel of framed staple wire and I decided to try making a single 4mm coil with 5 wraps so I could have more cotton inside the coil and also to stretch the wraps a bit like an accordion so there was about a 1mm gap between each wrap.

The idea being to surround each wrap with as much juice as possible to cover as much of the coil as I could.

The improvement has been phenomenal.

I needed far less watts. I’m only using 36 to 39W of power but I’m getting enormous clouds. Also using that coolant principle where the juice helps prevent the coil over heating it means I can greatly slow down any burning of my cotton and coil so it gunks up far more slowly and my build and the flavour stays nice for a lot longer. There’s no danger of ever getting a dry hit, my vape is beautifully moist and the flavour is out of this world.

I was a bit worried about it causing a leaky tank but no, it’s been fine and for the last fews months I’m just getting the most gorgeous vape.

I’m thinking I might also try using a stainless steel coil in TC mode so I can prevent the coil getting hotter than it needs to be to slow down the burning and gunking even more.

I’d be interested to know what you all think?

It all sounds pretty logical, I`ve found that it pays to take a little more care building decks and I always make sure that some of the airflow is directed under the coil, when it comes to wicking, like you I make sure that there is a slight gap between the coil wraps and slightly over pack the cotton then I pull the cotton to and fro through the coil and twirl it between my finger and thumb to encourage a snug fit and a few strands of cotton to protrude through the wraps, because I squonk I pay particular attention to thinning the tails and taking time to ensure that they are not over stuffed into the deck.
I liked the blotto max so much I ended up with about 5, but they are criminally underused since I discovered the flavour opportunities of the RDA.

Last edited:
Back in the old days, when we had only single strand wire, all coils were spaced out and I guess the reason for making contact coils with multi strand wire is that you wouldn't be able to fit a spaced out coil with too many wraps and the resistance would be too low.

I'm guilty of belonging to the "more is more" school, whacking in huge great coils that need changing once a week and never gave any thought to an alternative, but I'll certainly try this, using 3 wraps instead of 5, and let you know how I get on.

The OG Blotto was always a bit of a pig to get right. The problem IMO was the tiny honeycomb holes made it restrictive from the start - putting two 3mm coils in would make it even more restrictive. I found it OK with 2.5mm i.d. coils but this still gave a pretty tight restrictive draw. I found it worked best with a single 3.5mm i/d coil (I never tried a single 3 or 4mm coil so couldn't comment) as there was enough airflow through the honeycomb without the 'sucking a golf ball through a hose' experience it gave in dual coil mode.

I actually prefer the OG Blotto with a single coil to the Blotto Solo tank which is unusual - generally if a tank can take two coils I will run it in dual coil mode, the OG Blotto is the only dual coil RTA I own that I run in single mode.

I'm working on the theory that more wraps will give me more heating points to produce bigger clouds. If I can get the temperature right I will also get less burning and gunking.

I use shoelace cotton that I can pull apart to create nice airgaps between the strands to wick more juice.

I just found this on Vape Club that will work on TC mode so I'll let you all know how I get on.

SS-Wire.jpg

The OG Blotto was always a bit of a pig to get right. The problem IMO was the tiny honeycomb holes made it restrictive from the start - putting two 3mm coils in would make it even more restrictive. I found it OK with 2.5mm i.d. coils but this still gave a pretty tight restrictive draw. I found it worked best with a single 3.5mm i/d coil (I never tried a single 3 or 4mm coil so couldn't comment) as there was enough airflow through the honeycomb without the 'sucking a golf ball through a hose' experience it gave in dual coil mode.

I actually prefer the OG Blotto with a single coil to the Blotto Solo tank which is unusual - generally if a tank can take two coils I will run it in dual coil mode, the OG Blotto is the only dual coil RTA I own that I run in single mode.
I haven`t tried the max in single coil, a job for this afternoon I think.

I haven`t tried the max in single coil, a job for this afternoon I think.

I was referring to the original 24mm Blotto, I think the Max (think because I don't actually own one) was specifically designed to be more airy because of the original tiny pin holes on the Blotto outer air adjustment ring gave a really tight draw that attracted a lot of complaints because it couldn't be opened up enough for team cloud-chuck.

I think (that word again lol) the Max won't be too good with a single coil, but there's no harm in trying.

Mine are the original 24mm Dovpo Blotto tanks with 6ml bubble glass.

I've always found the airflow fine although I need to have it fully open.

I was referring to the original 24mm Blotto, I think the Max (think because I don't actually own one) was specifically designed to be more airy because of the original tiny pin holes on the Blotto outer air adjustment ring gave a really tight draw that attracted a lot of complaints because it couldn't be opened up enough for team cloud-chuck.

I think (that word again lol) the Max won't be too good with a single coil, but there's no harm in trying.
I dont own the OG but I do find the max restrictive for my needs, I`m sure one of the guys in the max community review tried it in single coil, I`ll dig it out, I haven`t got a 4mm mandrel till later in the week anyway.

Mine are the original 24mm Dovpo Blotto tanks with 6ml bubble glass.

I've always found the airflow fine although I need to have it fully open.

I forgot to mention I vape it at around 50 Watts - that is probably why I find it pretty restrictive.

One thing I have to check frequently is any slight weeping/leak can block up some of the holes on the airflow ring, and it's a gradual thing - a few clog up and over time the rest join in lol. Each time I rewick I make a point of checking the outer honeycomb and jabbing any blocked ones with a pin. It's a rare occasion when a couple aren't blocked.

Back
Top Bottom