What's new

Emotion and e-cigarettes questionnaire - update/feedback

MarkL7

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well and safe!

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my questionnaire which was active on the discussion forum from September 2019 to February 2020.

I apologise for not getting back in touch sooner – things have been a bit hectic at work and in other areas of life during the lockdowns and my research has often suffered. Unfortunately I am not quite where I want to be with analysing the data from this questionnaire.

That said, I have recently done some analysis of the written responses and I am preparing a first paper submission. I have outlined some of the key themes that I identified below. Hopefully you’ll find them interesting. Overall, I am using the evidence to argue that we need to break down the walls that create ‘us’ and ‘them’ in discussion and debates on e-cigarettes and try to increase empathy between all groups.

If anyone would like any further details please do get in touch ([email protected]). Hopefully I’ll have more detailed analysis soon!

Responses overview

The questionnaire received a total of 183 responses from a number of different discussion forums. Respondents’ average age was 49 years old. 78% of respondents were male. Most respondents came from the UK (120), with the second most coming from the USA (31). Smaller numbers of respondents lived in other countries spanning most continents. Most respondents were ex-smokers (75%) with most noted that they had quit smoking with the help of e-cigarettes (74%).

E-cigarettes and emotion

One question asked participants directly about the emotions felt when considering e-cigarettes. The respondents overwhelmingly mentioned a sense of satisfaction, under which I included mentions of relief, pleasure, contentment, happiness. Fewer respondents touched on anger, frustration and worry in response to the possibility of restrictions and regulations being placed on e-cigarettes. Many respondents also indicated that e-cigarettes had deeper impacts on their lives than just helping them stop smoking. Although other products and methods can also help people stop smoking, the strength of positive feeling towards e-cigarettes was significant given that many participants noted that they had quit smoking using e-cigarettes after trying many or most other options with limited success.

Among some tobacco researchers e-cigarettes are often treated as the latest in a long line of products claiming to help people quit smoking. Research focusses on the efficacy of e-cigarettes for smoking cessation and so e-cigarettes can be treated with a lot of caution, over fears of re-normalising smoking, or acting as a gateway into smoking. However, these findings suggest many vapers have a much different perspective of e-cigarettes and vaping. So many of the responses to the question touched on how e-cigarettes had opened up and extended their lives in various ways. From more time spent with family, more time spent on leisure activities, better health, saving money etc. In general e-cigarettes seemed to create much more positive and optimistic everyday lives for people than were possible when smoking.

I am arguing that it is this significance of e-cigarettes in people’s lives that can often be underappreciated by other stakeholders, like researchers or policy-makers.

I'm not really surprise by any of the responses or your conclusion. I think it rings true for many of us.

I'm currently writing a blog on a similar subject, from my own personal experiences and I've also used words like relief and described the positive effect it's had on myself, (aside from what might be obvious) So I definitely think that you are on the right course with this.

Thanks for the update @MarkL7 I agree with @Simon G that it prob rings true for many people who have used vaping to replace smoking. Unfortunately lot of vaping research doesn't.

Thanks @Simon G and @MHL , good to know that these findings ring true for you guys. Working in the broader public health research field, I do think there can be a real distrust of any new products (especially when the tobacco industry may be involved), and so sometimes, what these products actually do for people is not as appreciated as it could be.

To me it seems that a lot of research has - at some level - an anti-vape agenda, and the massive benefits that vaping offers to (ex) smokers get brushed under the carpet.

This is a shame because the people who could most benefit from this technology are being presented with an inaccurate picture of the evidence... and they get the impression that vaping is equally as risky as smoking.

To me it seems that a lot of research has - at some level - an anti-vape agenda, and the massive benefits that vaping offers to (ex) smokers get brushed under the carpet.

This is a shame because the people who could most benefit from this technology are being presented with an inaccurate picture of the evidence... and they get the impression that vaping is equally as risky as smoking.

I think another problem is vaping is often looked at in isolation, which is totally the wrong way to judge it imo.

If you aren't comparing it directly to smoking then, it's not going to look that great as it's not completely risk free.

It's a bit like the covid thing... the numbers in isolation look worse than they do when you compare them to other serious illnesses and causes of death.

Your research confirmed something mentioned on here a few times; vape forums are largely populated by old(er) men. o_O

I'm curious. You mentioned breaking the "us and them" mentality in discussions and debates. If vapers are the "us" then who's "them"?

Last edited:
Your research confirmed something mentioned on here a few times; vape forums are largely populated by old(er) men. o_O

I'm curious. You mentioned breaking the "us and them" mentality in discussions and debates. If vapers are the "us" then who's "them"?
I think the 'them' in this context, is not a well defined category, but refers more to the general body of researchers, public health bodies and others, that have what is perceived as an 'anti-vape' agenda as MHL mentions. I think there needs to be more research that does unpick these different views and perspectives and tries to focus on the similar agendas that each group has - which often seems to be to improve the public health. Hopefully that is something I can contribute to....!

Back
Top Bottom