What's new

HELP! my UWELL CROWN coils burn out after Just TWO tank-fulls? (and subsequently taste awful!)

The only two solutions I can come up with as to why every coil you're trying gives you this experience are;
A) It's a shitty box of coils. I've had packs of coils, crown and otherwise, where there's been one, maybe two duds. Never more than one with the crown.
Related to that I'd have two questions;
Did the coils that actually came with the tank work ok?
Where did you buy the coils from? Are they fake? (The crown tank and coils, due to its popularity are heavily cloned)

B) Your mod is the Coolfire plus. The plus part makes a difference because you've got 70w as opposed to 40. The .5 crown coils are rated at 30-80w, with, in my opinion, the sweet spot being 50-55w. So you're good.

You said your Snowwolf had a fault. Is your Coolfire mis firing? If you've selected 30w, the screen says 30w but it's actually going a balls out 70 from the get go then that wouldn't help.

Rebuilding will initially cost you money. Quite a lot of money. But it's much cheaper than using pre built coils in the long run.

Believe me or believe me not I run the .25 coil through the crown, anything between 85-95w and I get 60ml, which as its one of four tanks in rotation equates to 8-10 days before I put another tank on the mod.
The coil, juice dependant, would go for more but I feel the taste starts to become muted at this point so I change it.
I haven't used the Isub apex but do own an older Isub for my travel mod. Performance and flavour lost out to the crown big style, but the juice consumption is lower. I still change those particular coils at around 60ml because again I feel the flavour is muted at that point.

Food for thought: My Arctic tank, with .24 nickel coil I've just refilled, does 90ml of juice before I change the tank.

You came up with lots of questions in your video. Do some research and see what's best for you- we're all different, what works for me won't work for you.

I build a little. Not much because I'm a busy boy and tanks suit my lifestyle better. I pay a tenner for 4 crown coils, each time I re coil a build it costs a fraction of the price of one coil, but it's time consuming and dripping is not convenient for me most of the time. To initially buy everything I needed to build probably cost in the region of £50, including a second hand rda. So you need to consider that too.

When we all smoked we stood in the shop and asked for our baccy/fags, went outside, lit one and went about our business. Vaping is much more focused on customising the experience to yourself. And that's what you need to think about to get the most out of it.

I think you've got a nice setup, especially with the Snowwolf, and you've got two decent tanks. But are they right for you? I can't answer that.

i put it down too either naff coils or using high vg milk man which is 80/20
i now use molejuice and its 70/30 and that seems to work fine.
This, I only go as high as 70/30 and probably 45-50w at the very most otherwise the coils don't seem to last. I also push a pin through the cotton wool in each hole in the coil before dropping a couple of drops into the top and on the holes i've just pricked, fill her up and let her sit there for a while, maybe 20-30 minutes.

Rebuildables?

I spent the cost of the wire & cotton. That's it.

Wrap the fucker around a drill bit and squeeze it with thin-nose pliers or tweezers.

Oh. You'll also need some nai-scissors to cut your cotton.

Re-wick every coupla weeks & re-coil 4 or 5 times a year.

It's NOT rocket-surgery!!!

Almost the exact same setup as me you have there. I'm also running a crown on a snowwolf 200w but I use the .25 coils.

I run 80vg/20pg DIY juice and get around 3 weeks out of the coil at around 3 or 4 tank fills per day at 90 watts.

EDIT: Sorry just realised its not the snowwolf you use. Still the point stands though you should be getting much more use from your coils.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Legends, especially Sir Lugg. Thanks for that its a weath of information and im going to use it to customise my vaping.

Im up for getting into building my own coils but i DO NOT want to do Dripping!
(i tried dripping, off some dude in a Vape shop in LDN and it was cool BUT FOR ME! didnt like it because of the time/effort to re apply juice every 3-4 hits)
is there a way of building normal coils? i.e. not dripping coils? thats what i was asking about? but now im wondering is that even a THING!!? XD

not to sound like a pedantic b**stard but i'll address your two theories SirLugg because i reckon between us we could solve the mystery of the fast burning coils, on why my atomisers/coils dont last very long... (the one i used fresh in the video yesterday is now DEAD! and i am switching to the Innokin Apex Isub i showed in my video for todays vaping)

A) yes the coils that came with the tank did last a bit longer i think.. but not too much longer really, and i vaped less frequently when i started. i bought 2 boxes of 4x 0.5 ohm coils one online/one at local shop (vapeclub.co.uk)- and both boxes replicated the problem identically

B)The Cool Fire IV plus isn't mis-firing... its a good point but its not that. Also this problem started on the Snow Wolf 200w, and is now replicating itself identically on the Innokin coolFire. (which leads me to rule out the mod)

the question remains in my mind... just why am i going through Crown coils faster than everyone else..

anyway I've moved away from the "Uwell Crown" today.. onto the "Isub Apex" as i said.. i'll let you guys know how it goes on this thread after I've vaped it and tested it.

I'll check out the Arctic tank you mentioned. I definitley 100% want to stay away from Temp Control though. Im just a wattage vaper!

Thanks sirLugg

----

Just looking at all my spent Crown Coils now.... do i really have to bin them?

cant you wash them in something and get them de-gunked.. like with boiling water??? isn't that a thing in the vaping world?

IMG_6886.JPG
IMG_6887.JPG

Please tell me theres a way I can re-ssurect these lovley coils... soaking them?

they look almost new (which i guess they are). mine go pitch black cotton and then i get the burning taste.

Try soaking them in vodka for 24 hours+ give the odd shake, rinse and dry out, worth a shot pal, good luck

jesus, I vape my crown at around 65w and I've had it since September, i'm still on my 1st coil and it still tastes great, I don't vape it everyday as I have 15 other tanks but it has had at least 30 full tanks through it

Haha yes MrDJ theyre all like 3-4 day tanks exept for the last one which was one day and went bad.. Im sure theyre meant to last longer.. and honestly im not imagining it! they really do taste BAD - i know they look fine.. its amazing isnt it. How did your situation end up with the Crown MrDJ? Do you use another Tank now?

rhats amazing 'Iluvminis' - Im finding it hard to believe you have put 30 full tanks through your 1st coil... what juice have you put through it (home made juice?) please tell me your secret to great tasting 6 month old crown coils !

Cheers
greeny1210 I will buy some Vodka and try that.. Do you do that yourself? I will soak them overnight (12 hours) do you think that will be long enough? how do you dry the vodka out of them after?

Cheers Everyone! this is a great community!

Thanks guys!

Legends, especially Sir Lugg. Thanks for that its a weath of information and im going to use it to customise my vaping.

Im up for getting into building my own coils but i DO NOT want to do Dripping!
(i tried dripping, off some dude in a Vape shop in LDN and it was cool BUT FOR ME! didnt like it because of the time/effort to re apply juice every 3-4 hits)
is there a way of building normal coils? i.e. not dripping coils? thats what i was asking about? but now im wondering is that even a THING!!? XD

not to sound like a pedantic b**stard but i'll address your two theories SirLugg because i reckon between us we could solve the mystery of the fast burning coils, on why my atomisers/coils dont last very long... (the one i used fresh in the video yesterday is now DEAD! and i am switching to the Innokin Apex Isub i showed in my video for todays vaping)

A) yes the coils that came with the tank did last a bit longer i think.. but not too much longer really, and i vaped less frequently when i started. i bought 2 boxes of 4x 0.5 ohm coils one online/one at local shop (vapeclub.co.uk)- and both boxes replicated the problem identically

B)The Cool Fire IV plus isn't mis-firing... its a good point but its not that. Also this problem started on the Snow Wolf 200w, and is now replicating itself identically on the Innokin coolFire. (which leads me to rule out the mod)

the question remains in my mind... just why am i going through Crown coils faster than everyone else..

anyway I've moved away from the "Uwell Crown" today.. onto the "Isub Apex" as i said.. i'll let you guys know how it goes on this thread after I've vaped it and tested it.

I'll check out the Arctic tank you mentioned. I definitley 100% want to stay away from Temp Control though. Im just a wattage vaper!

Thanks sirLugg

----

Just looking at all my spent Crown Coils now.... do i really have to bin them?

cant you wash them in something and get them de-gunked.. like with boiling water??? isn't that a thing in the vaping world?

View attachment 83232 View attachment 83233

Please tell me theres a way I can re-ssurect these lovley coils... soaking them?

Honestly mate I have no idea other than the ones I already came up with. I'd say your juice but it's ok initially so it's not that.

I'm not familiar with the website you bought the coils from so can't comment. If they're fake they're likely to be crap but it's hard to tell the difference most of the time.

Your bad coils look new to me? Like @MrDJ said, well I'm the same. The inside of mine look like a tar pit when I change them out. Yours look in vey good condition and as if they've not had much use- which they haven't really.

My advice? Try the Isub which may be more to your taste and then if you like it look for something else comparable to that rather than another crown or the like.

Have a look at;

Kangertech Subtank
Aspire Atlantis
Aspire Triton
Silo Beast
Sense Mermaid

All excellent IMO, and all far more toned down and economical than the crown.

Edit: You can get .2 and .5 kanthal coils for the Arctic but it's an old tank now so they're not as widely available as they once were. But I wouldn't recommend the Arctic for you if I'm honest as it's still a rowdy little bugger when it wants to be. I've kept it because its an excellent TC tank.

Edit edit : You have got your airflow open on the crown right? Just occurred to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom