What's new

Mods Wotofo Profile Mod & PS Tank.

Astral

Achiever

Wotofo Profile Squonk Mod + PS Dual Mesh Tank.

Disclaimer: This is an independent review of a vape device kindly provided to me by @Sourcemore and is not associated with Planet Of The Vapes or any other organisation. The opinions here are purely my own and I am not receiving any payment or inducement for them.

DSCF0605 (2).JPG

Houston we have a problem.

It won’t be a problem for most but it is for me.

You see, I’ve just been sent the Wotofo Profile squonk mod and PS Dual Mesh RDA tank to review and I’ve got a bit of an issue.

It’s not the fact that I’ve never squonked before that’s the problem but the fact that the mod has a side mounted power button and offset squonk bottle.

So what’s the problem, I hear you ask?

Well, it’s the fact that I’m a ‘southpaw’, a lefty, and the button is on the left and the bottle is on the right meaning this mod is always facing the wrong way, so it’s really only suitable as a squonker for ‘righties’.

And before you say turn it around, that just puts the bottle in the palm of my hand and makes it a little bit annoying.

DSCF0475 (2).JPG DSCF0476.JPG
DSCF0482 (2).JPG DSCF0484 (2).JPG

Conveniently though, this mod has a little trick up its sleeve that makes it far less of an issue than I initially thought and makes it usable as a normal mod as well as a squonker.

As the squonk bottle is interchangeable with a second battery in the ‘B’ battery slot, you can either use it as a single 18650 battery squonk mod or a regular dual 18650 mod and can do away with all that squeezing entirely. Result!

DSCF0498 (2).JPG DSCF0568 (2).JPG
DSCF0584 (2).JPG

Even more pleasing is the fact that the 28.5mm PS RDA I’ve also been sent is a hybrid and can be used as a regular dripper as well as a squonker, so I was able to just drip my way through the tests instead of squirting. Double result!

So regardless of my initial teething troubles, I found a way to use this duo in harmony and was actually excited to be doing them as a pairing despite not naturally being oriented to it.

Not that it’s actually sold as a pairing. The mod and the tank are actually only sold separately despite both being from the Profile range and both being designed by ‘Mr Just Right’. They don’t come as a kit.

But regardless of that they do go together quite well and the wattage ranges for the mod and mesh strips for the PS tank compliment each other well and seem perfectly matched.

DSCF0529 (2).JPG DSCF0532 (2).JPG
DSCF0510 (2).JPG DSCF0511 (2).JPG

At a maximum of 80w in single battery squonker mode and at a maximum of 200w for dual battery regular mode - and 6.4v to 8.4v respectively - the power range is more than enough for the two 30-40w rated mesh strips provided with the RDA, although these seem to be able to go much higher than their suggested rating so I don’t know how much attention you should pay to that.

Pushing them was no trouble at all and I didn’t encounter too many problems, although I did encounter the odd dry hit as the wattage got higher, just as you’d expect from a dual mesh configuration. So don’t blame me if you get one too. You have been warned!

I didn’t encounter anything too unexpected though and other than that, everything about the mod and the tank seemed first class.

With the exception of the 7ml squonk bottle seeping a little and leaving the second battery bay a tad wet and wipe-worthy, I didn’t have too many complaints.

I just had to make sure the ‘B’ bay was dry before inserting a second battery so as not to short it.

That aside, the mod behaved impeccably.

The buttons worked well and the NexCHIP is excellent. The 0.96” TFT display is bright and legible and the interface clear and concise.

DSCF0579 (2).JPG

All the information you need is there - your battery level (single or dual), wattage, resistance and voltage, plus your puff counter and puff timer, all set out with interlacing in a colour of your choice - and there are six in total - white, blue, orange, purple, red and green.

It has a host of protections too and a claimed fire time of just 0.001 seconds. Not to mention a USB Type-C 5v/2amp charging port and cable for those that charge internally. Although annoyingly this is set on the bottom, meaning you have to charge it on it’s side - not good for a power-hungry unit and a squonker/dripper to boot.

Your colour options are but two - black and gunmetal - but both look classy despite the branding and transparency of the thick, plastic, magnetised battery door cheapening things somewhat.

Alternatives or a second, squonkhole-less one wouldn’t have gone amiss here, but I guess Wotofo are trying to save themselves some money.

It does at least fit very tightly and never threatened to come loose or rattle.

As mods go though, I’m really rather taken with this one and aesthetically I find it all rather pleasing.

At 93.85 x 44.4 x 30mm and only 135g it’s not even overly large or heavy and its Zinc-Alloy construction feels sturdy in the hand, even if it is facing the wrong way!

The PS RDA had the same effect on me too. I was quite taken with its simplicity although the branding is a little on the large and ostentatious side.

Thankfully it comes in a bigger choice of colours - six in total - black, stainless steel, gunmetal, blue, gold and rainbow - and has a garish, shallow 810 drip-tip sitting on top of each, but you can easily change this if you wish.

The machining is decent too and all the parts fit together snugly.

It has a good range of airflows that can be opened or closed as required, set out in two or three honeycombed rows, but I can’t help but feel there should have been a row of ‘one’ too.

DSCF0527 (2).JPG DSCF0559 (2).JPG

The piece de resistance of this tank though is the accessories you get with it and the versatility they provide.

As this tank can either be run in series or parallel modes, you get a range of four pins that allow you to do either and to squonk or drip with each.

All you do is swap out your converter pin for your preferred series or parallel one, add your holed squonk or solid dripper pin and off you go.

You will have to find your own flat-head screwdriver to do this though as one isn’t provided.

Only an allen key, cross headed screwdriver and bending tool for building and changing your squonk/solid pins are included in the box, not one for your converter pin. Quite why they’ve omitted a converter pin tool when they’ve made such a play of it is anybody’s guess. Although they do also provide your cotton, mesh and spares bag so it’s not exactly sparse.

DSCF0550 (2).JPG DSCF0554 (2).JPG

Once you’ve decided on your build though you’re good to go, and building it is easy.

Well I say easy, it isn’t really. It’s both easy and difficult in equal measure.

On the face of it, you just have to insert your shaped mesh strips into their respective negative outer terminals before tightening them down and then hooking the other ends under the shared positive center terminal and doing likewise. Give it a nice little low wattage test fire and Bob’s your uncle. Job’s a good ‘un.

But if that part’s easy, wicking it is hard.

This is because, unlike a lot of mesh strips, these mesh strips don’t have straight edges, they have teeth - and I don’t mean that humorously, I mean it literally. The edges of these mesh strips are serrated which just snags your cotton as you try to pull it between the stiffly sprung ceramic blocks and your mesh tunnels.

DSCF0514 (2).JPG DSCF0518 (2).JPG
DSCF0516 (2).JPG DSCF0524 (2).JPG

You need a high degree of patience to do this without distorting your mesh and I can’t help but feel this is a major design fault and it would’ve been a whole lot easier if the edges were just straight-cut like some of the other normal mesh varieties they sell or the springs a little lighter.

You’re also going to need a huge amount of cotton to do this properly too as the deck is enormous. Shares in cotton and juice companies wouldn’t go amiss here.

The deck looks like a cumulonimbus by the time you’ve finished with it and you’re probably going to hold more e-liquid in the cotton than in your basin, despite the 3ml deep juice well.

Once you have saturated it though you’re good to go. Particularly if you’re squonking. The juice oozes out from the centre screw like a chocolate fondue fountain and then drizzles down over your wick like a runny, sweet sauce. It’s a hugely satisfying sight.

As I was mostly using it as a dripper though I didn’t do this too much and mostly contented myself with adding my juice traditionally as necessary.

My builds were mostly on the tamer side too, and in the main I used a series build at 0.6ohm, although I did also try 0.15ohm parallel squonk and drip builds for good measure.

At the recommended wattage of 30-40w it performed beautifully and there were very few dry hits, but as the wattage increased these were a bit more prevalent, although this may have been down to my wicking rather than the tank.

The mesh had far fewer issues than I did though and handled higher wattages surprisingly well - even in a series build. It even took wattages of up to 80 odd, but anything over 60 was pushing it with the dry hits, although you can probably go higher if you build well.

Putting it into parallel mode only increased the intensity and production of the vape too - as did closing the airflow.

There’s a huge amount of variability on offer here and finding the correct wattage, build and airflow for your taste takes a fair bit of playing around with, but it is massively rewarding once you do.

The flavour from the tank is excellent, and I couldn’t have wanted for more, particularly with the airflow closed off a little.

Once I’d found my preferred build though I was more than happy to leave it alone and just drip or squonk as necessary.

The mod itself can be a little slow to squonk and can require a couple of good squeezes with the tips of your fingers through the awkwardly placed squonk-hole to saturate the cotton sufficiently, so that’s something to bear in mind, but once you get the knack of it and adapt to the speed, placement and restricted shape of the cutouts it’s fine.

The real surprise for me though was the sheer breadth of wattages at which the included mesh operates.

DSCF0503 (2).JPG DSCF0500 (2).JPG

It made me feel as if this is an ideal combo of mod and tank for newbie squonkers to begin with and will enable those like me to find their feet without too much trial or tribulation too.

On the whole, I thought the Profile mod and PS Dual Mesh RDA went together well even though they’re not sold as a kit.

As for whether dual mesh offers anything more than single mesh or traditional coil set-ups like the original Profile or SRPNT is a matter of conjecture but ultimately it performs well and the mod performs even better.

The juice goes down quickly but I liked that I could use the mod as a squonker or a regular mod and the versatility that the hybridisation provides.

And given that any sub-30mm tank fits the device this mod might still be your thing even if squonking isn’t

Wotofo has been clever here and given the consumer options. By not tying the mod to a tank they’ve enabled you to tailor the experience to your own preference and equip it as you wish.

I do still find it odd that the mod doesn’t have the option of at least one tank but as it’s a hybrid the variation of those options could’ve been huge and they’d probably have to had offered it with a single mesh, dual mesh and traditional coil RDA, and perhaps even an RTA, so I guess it’s understandable, although this does increase the cost.

Even so, it’s not a particularly expensive mod, or tank for that matter, and with the quality on offer, they still represent good value for money.

So if you fancy something a little bit different or just like the occasional bit of squonking, this is something well worth looking at. But just make sure you’re right-handed as it’s really not one for the left!

If you’d like them you can get the mod from @Sourcemore for a discounted £33.99 using the code: WPSM and the PS tank for a discounted £21.99 using the code: PSRD.

Nice review Astral, as always.

I'm a lefty too so know the pain.

Great review @Astral, although not my cup of tea, it's always good to read about other vaping options. Also a lefty, pain felt just reading the review :)

Re: the teeth on the mesh making wicking difficult. Have you tried tightening one side down, inserting the wick, and then tightening down the other side, so you don't have to fight the teeth?

Great review @Astral, although not my cup of tea, it's always good to read about other vaping options. Also a lefty, pain felt just reading the review :)

Re: the teeth on the mesh making wicking difficult. Have you tried tightening one side down, inserting the wick, and then tightening down the other side, so you don't have to fight the teeth?

There are ways round it @hack400, it's just a bit of a faff. Thinning the cotton helps considerably too, it's a bit thick as standard.

Thanks for the great review matey :) I'm only really interested in the rda, my experience is (mesh) tanks give far better flavour over a mesh dripper. I l do like that you can choose parallel or series builds, jobs a good un!

Only way I wick mesh strips these days, done it like that for most of this year, much easier :2thumbsup:

Good review. Although the fire button is on the front not side I don't have an issue using left handed. Finger fire & thumb for the squonk works for me. Wicking wise I've found Steamcraves mesh cotton laces a good fit in the PS, being thinner than Xfiber cotton. Loosening the centre screw aids fitting the cotton.

Good review. Although the fire button is on the front not side I don't have an issue using left handed. Finger fire & thumb for the squonk works for me. Wicking wise I've found Steamcraves mesh cotton laces a good fit in the PS, being thinner than Xfiber cotton. Loosening the centre screw aids fitting the cotton.

Technically, you're correct @nwhornet. Wotofo list the fire button as being on the front, but the way I hold it just puts it on the side. I think my hands a bit small to hold it 'sideways'. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom