What's new

How much nicotine do I need to put in?

Approx 5ml of 18 or 20mg nic shot

Well 4.5ml of 18mg actually

at my vape shop they put a bottle in to get it to a 3nic in a 50ml bottle. somebody correct me if i'm wrong. won't half a bottle be 1.5 nic?

at my vape shop they put a bottle in to get it to a 3nic in a 50ml bottle. somebody correct me if i'm wrong. won't half a bottle be 1.5 nic?

Yep half a bottle will make 1.5 in a 50 mill

It is never a simple case of dividing the nic shot by 2 to get half nicotine content in the end product.
In this case 4.5 ml will give the closest to the 1.5 required, not 5ml.

Last edited:
Heres a little guide for 18mg nic shots
nicotine-shot-mixing-guide-1.jpg

The shop shouldn't add nic for customers, it's technically illegal because it means they're supplying nicotine containing juice that is not tpd compliant.

Yep half a bottle will make 1.5 in a 50 mill

No.

It won't.

It doesn't work like that.

It works like:

It is never a simple case of dividing the nic shot by 2 to get half nicotine content in the end product.
In this case 4.5 ml will give the closest to the 1.5 required, not 5ml.

5ml from a standard 18mg/ml shot will make a 50ml shortfill into 55ml @ 1.636mg/ml. (20mg/ml salts shot will equal 1.818mg/ml)

If you then add 5ml of plain VG or PG it'll be 60ml @ 1.5mg/ml. (1.666mg/ml salts)

Of course, whether anyone can tell the difference between 1.5mg/ml and 1.636mg/ml (1.8mg/ml) is a different matter...

Heres a little guide for 18mg nic shots
View attachment 204103

This can be a little confusing and potentially misleading.

The bottle size column on the left is the finished amount of juice AFTER adding the 18mg/ml nic shot.

So, say you want 6mg/ml and you have a normal 50ml in a 60ml bottle shortfill.

You'd have to take out 10ml of the flavoured juice, then add 20ml of 18mg/ml nic shot to make 60ml of finished juice @ 6mg/ml.

Yeah as others have said, it's not a simple calculation, and doubling or halving the amount of nic you add to a pre-existing amount of juice does not double or halve the result, because the more nic you add, the more you increase the amount of juice your nic is distributed within.

A good way to check whether you got it right is to take the amount of nic you are adding, calculate exactly how much nicotine is being added, and then divide that by the final amount of juice after adding the nic.

This won't calculate how much to add, which is pretty advanced maths that requires integration, but it will see if your guess is close, or not, and then you make another guess and check that result.

So if a 10ml nic shot has a strength of 18mg/ml, that means there is 180mg of nic in a 10ml nic shot.

If you add 2 nic shots to 50ml of juice (assuming your bottle is large enough) that's 360mg of nic, distributed through 70ml of juice.

360/70 = 5.14mg/ml

So lets try 2.5 nic shots added to 50ml of juice.

180 x 2.5 = 450

450/75 = 6mg/ml !!

Good guess!

But now I'm adding 25ml of nic to a shortfill that was formulated to have only 10ml added. I can increase the nic, but I risk diluting the flavour too much.

But now I'm adding 25ml of nic to a shortfill that was formulated to have only 10ml added. I can increase the nic, but I risk diluting the flavour too much.

Depends on your taste...

The couple of flavours, that I use occasionally, come in a 50ml shortfill 'formulated' to have 10ml of nic shot added.

If I mixed it all up in one go, I'd be adding 950ml (yes, nine hundred and fifty millilitres of nic and base) to a 50ml bottle ;)

Still plenty of flavour for me on low wattage MTL, I tried it at 9:1 instead of 9.5:0.5 but it was too strong...

Back
Top Bottom