What's new

Kayfun 4 - Resistance stabilisation.

Tubbyengineer

Legend
Just a quick post to let you know that I think I've come up with a fix for the "Wandering Ohms" issue on the Kayfun 4. I appreciate that it's not a big problem when using Kanthal builds as 0.1 to 0.2 Ohms variation isn't that big a deal when using a regulated mod.

However for those people using Mechs or those using Nickel temp control builds that 0.1 ohms variation can throw things out of whack.

I have tried several routes to fix this and the best solution seems to be to modify the spring.

You'll need either some lead free solder or a pair of pliers and a little patience. The aim is to decrease the diameter of on end of the spring so that it push fits onto the central airflow post (around the outside of the bit with the airflow screw). This improves the connection massively and ensures a fairly stable reading.

I have tried both the solder method - use a little solder on the last coil of the sring to thicken it so that it fits tightly, and the crimp method - reshaping the final coil of the spring so that it narrows the diameter and again causes the spring to fit tightly. Both seem to work just as well but the solder method is easier on the original silver plated spring and the crimp method is easier on the clones chromed springs.

Both methods will reduce the variation to the odd 0.01 - usually when opening and closing the juice control, once it's been moved the reading will usually settle at the new level and stay there. Hopefully this will be a permanent solution as I've now been running it for a fortnight on my original and it seems to be just fine, no issues and my KF 4 is finally the atty I want it to be...

Good work mate.
Not bothered with this one. I'm getting dragged into mesh gennies, but this will no doubt help stop lots of people from pulling their hair out.

Cheers for that. Considering a Rose V2s next week and remembered your comment regarding the adjustable pin problem. The V2 is in the same boat so now not sure as the lack of skills need to potentially "fix" it may be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

Cheers for that. Considering a Rose V2s next week and remembered your comment regarding the adjustable pin problem. The V2 is in the same boat so now not sure as the lack of skills need to potentially "fix" it may be an issue.

For the KF4 it's no more taxing than carefully squeezing one end of the spring with a pair of pliers - it needs about 1mm or so of change...

For the KF4 it's no more taxing than carefully squeezing one end of the spring with a pair of pliers - it needs about 1mm or so of change...

To be fair it's probably easier than I perceive it to be. I already own a Expromizer and that has an adjustable pin. Not really been much of a problem thus far aside from me trying to adjust the airflow in a cack-handed way and ruining the spring. Just awaiting replacements from Germany

Love it. Neat easy fix Tubbyengineer . Five Stars.
I'd previously tried stretching the spring a bit and also replacing with a slightly longer spring, which did stop my particular mongrel clone from jumping from 0.8 ohms - 3.0 ohms and, sometimes "check atomizer" when I moved the flow control! :D , but your methods have proved a lot more stable.

Cheers for the heads up, i was scratching my head wondering why the ohm's were wandering!

Sorted,

@Tubbyengineer Have you seen this? thought it might be of interest to you, with the clone of course, wouldn't want to go doing that to a genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49J6CgP_Rqw

Its a bit extreme, and you could always just get the brass spacer that replaces the spring from the steam tuners website, or the one from Awe mods that replaces the whole 510 securing nut with a nut & spacer combo, but so far my spring mod seems to have held up for 3 weeks or so...

Its a bit extreme, and you could always just get the brass spacer that replaces the spring from the steam tuners website, or the one from Awe mods that replaces the whole 510 securing nut with a nut & spacer combo, but so far my spring mod seems to have held up for 3 weeks or so...

I didn't know about the steam tuners or awe mods system, thanks for that. I did your spring method on a clone and it's been fine but just came across this last night just looking around at other stuff. The problem I see with any of the mods that involve doing away with the spring all together is it means the coil can only be fired with the juice flow open. When you've got a build that works right that's not a problem and can be viewed as a plus but one thing I've found handy is if you get a slight gurgling going on you can shut off the juice and vape off the excess juice before opening up the juice flow again.

Back
Top Bottom