What's new

Letter sent to my MP........

And my reply...
Thank you for your reply to my previous email. I do have some points I would like to address if you don’t mind.
The majority of e-cig users are using them as recreational devices, not cessation aids, and they were created as a safer replacement for tobacco cigarettes, not as a tool for giving up smoking. Smoking cessation is a very welcome side benefit of e-cigs, not the sole purpose of them, unlike NRTs. Due to the relatively simple chemical composition of e-liquids compared to the cocktail of additives and chemicals in commercially available tobacco, it is far easier to quit from e-cigs than it is from conventional cigarettes. There are up to 100,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke, most of which still remain unidentified. The very few ingredients in UK manufactured e-liquids are already covered under several EU directives regarding food and pharmaceutical standards, and the main propellant in e-liquid (propylene glycol) is used in almost all packaged foods, and also in asthma inhalers, and theatrical/nightclub smoke machines. Professor J F Etter and Professor Michael Siegel have both recently published reports that e-liquids are far safer than cigarettes, and that “none of the more than 10,000 chemicals present in large quantities in tobacco smoke, including 40 known carcinogens, are present in the liquid or vapour from electronic cigarettes in anything greater than trace quality….they are undoubtedly safer than tobacco cigarettes”.
I would also like to suggest that 4mg concentration of nicotine in e-liquids is not sufficient to allow smokers to switch easily to e-cigs. The average cigarette contains 10 to 14mg of nicotine (of which 1mg is absorbed per cigarette). A 4mg limit would not be enough for smokers to make a total switch. Moreover, cigarettes are not proposed for regulation under these same pharmaceutical directives. Why this is, when there are many proven carcinogens in tobacco smoke and tar, and they contain more than 4mg of nicotine ? E-cigs are viewed by the majority of vapers as recreational nicotine delivery devices (a description that would apply to tobacco cigarettes), but they are being targeted as something they are not intended to be used for by these proposals.
Thank you also for providing your colleague’s comments. I would like to counter her points if I may.
The long-term effects of nicotine absorption have already been observed and recorded through studies in Sweden where smokeless tobacco (snuss) is available. Nicotine is also present in large numbers of green vegetables, tomatoes and peppers, so anecdotally the long-term use of nicotine is already in evidence through the government’s recommendation that these foods should be eaten regularly. Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos , research doctor at University Hospital in Leuven, Belgium, has stated that there is already sufficient evidence to prove that compared to cigarettes, e-cigs are far less dangerous. He is also due to publish results of three tests on nicotine delivered to the lung and its effects on cells, which he says are extremely promising.
I fully agree that health warnings, reduction/deglamourisation of advertising, and legislation to allow the sale of e-cigs to over-18s should be implemented. However, all of these points are already in place with all members of ECITA, the UK’s industry body for electronic cigarettes. What needs to happen is enforcement of these existing regulations to all UK suppliers, rather than new legislation. Perhaps a ruling that all UK suppliers MUST belong to ECITA is a more realistic approach to regulating e-cigs. As already discussed, ECITA members comply with Food Standard/Pharma grade ingredients, and the mechanical aspects (batteries, atomisers, e-liquid holders) are all covered under current Trading Standards regulations.
With these in mind, and a proposed age-limit for the use of e-cigarettes which is already adhered to by ECITA members, why would Linda McAvan’s proposal to remove flavourings have any benefit ? If under-18s are unable to buy the products, what difference does flavouring make ? Part of the appeal for smokers trying to switch to e-cigs is finding a flavour that they prefer to tobacco cigarettes. They should be treated the same way as cigarettes – as a recreational device to deliver nicotine which is readily available to people of the appropriate age.
Professor John Britten, who leads the tobacco advisory group for the Royal College of Physicians has this to say on nicotine and e-cigs – “Nicotine is not a particularly hazardous drug. It’s something on a par with the effects you get from caffeine. If all the smokers in Britain stopped smoking cigarettes and started using e-cigs, we would save 5 million deaths in people who are alive today”.
I sincerely hope that these points are something you are able to pass along. The biggest concern for the vaping public is that if we can find and are aware of all these studies that support the use of e-cigs, ratifies their ingredients, and proves their more effective results than conventional NRTs, why are the elected body who represent us seemingly ignoring them, whilst turning a blind eye to a very lucrative, but deadly, recreational device.

I have a reply from Sajjad Karim MEP (Conservative and on the JURI committee):

It's a bit long!

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email regarding the EU Tobacco Products Directive, which it is proposed will be updated to
amend current European law concerning the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products, including electronic cigarettes (or e-cigs). My apologies that you have not received a response sooner. My office has received hundreds of emails and letters on this matter and we try to get back to everyone within ten working days.

The EU Tobacco Products Directive, the affects of which you relate to in your email, is currently under renewal and will be coming before MEPs in the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (ENVI) Committee in the Parliament in 2013. I understand that, at this stage, the proposals by the European Commission include regulating packaging and the composition of cigarettes and related products, including electronic cigarettes.

Unfortunately I do not sit on the ENVI committee myself; however, I have spoken with my colleagues who will be working on this legislation on behalf of the Conservative Group.
Their opinion is that there should be freedom of choice in the use of e-cigarettes and that the proposed changes to limit permitted concentrations of nicotine solution sold in the EU are counter-productive and will do more harm than good.

To this end, I copy below the response I have received on this matter from my colleague and ENVI Committee member, Martin Callanan MEP:

Thank you for your email setting out your thoughts on a proposal issued by the European Commission to amend current European law concerning the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products.

Among the products to be affected by the proposed changes are electronic inhalers, commonly known as personal vaporizers or e-cigarettes, which vaporize a liquid solution containing nicotine into an aerosol mist which is then inhaled to simulate the act of smoking tobacco. The Commission proposes to limit the amount of nicotine in solutions sold for use in electronic cigarettes to four milligrams of nicotine per millilitre, unless the products have been classified as for medicinal use. This would render the solution too weak to be a viable source of nicotine for smokers or ex-smokers, or would require manufacturers to apply for a costly licence to manufacture medicinal products.

I have examined the arguments and I see the potential that e-cigarettes offer as harm-reduction devices to improve human health. I understand that e-cigarettes offer concentrated nicotine to addicts without the 4000 toxins and carcinogens found in tobacco smoke and that use of e-cigarettes removes the risk posed to non-smokers (and especially to children of smokers) by second hand smoke.

I am aware that traditional nicotine replacement therapies proposed by the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry have had very limited success in helping smokers quit permanently, and that thousands of British e-cigarette users (and millions across the EU and the world) are likely to return smoking if the directive is amended as foreseen and nicotine concentrations are limited to 4mg/ml. I have no doubt that this will lead to a large percentage of such users dying of smoking-related diseases that they might otherwise have avoided. Such arguments have led me to conclude that the proposed changes to limit permitted concentrations of nicotine solution sold in the EU are counter-productive and will do more harm than good.

As a member of the Parliament's Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety I will put forward these arguments and work to convince other MEPs of the foolishness of diluting nicotine solution to the point of uselessness. I would also encourage you to raise awareness among others in the vapourizing community.

If you have not already done so I would also encourage you to write to your MP and request that they raise the matter in Westminster. If we bring to the attention of the public, the political world and the media the strong arguments in favour of e-cigarettes as a harm reduction device and the number of lives which can be saved through their use, we have a very strong chance of winning the argument.

Martin Callanan MEP

Last edited:
Promising, unlike the letter from my MEP, which was full of the MHRA rhetoric.

Finally, a reply from Labour:

Dear Mr *********

Thank you for your further email regarding the EU Tobacco Products Directive.

The legislative process is ongoing in the Environment Committee and evidence is still being taken. As you noted there are around 1000 amendments to be considered. Any whip on the directive will only be considered after discussion by the European Parliamentary Labour Party (EPLP) when the final text has been decided by the ENVI Committee and is ready to be voted on by the whole Parliament.

Personally I am in favour of aids which help people in quitting smoking, indeed members of my own family have used e-cigarettes and I am happy they are no longer smoking traditional cigarettes.

Good aids should be available to all and continue to be available; however as legislators we have a responsibility to ensure products are safe, quality controlled and deliver to users what they claim on the package.

I will of course bear in mind all the personal cases raised with me by constituents when discussions take place within the EPLP around this directive, before the vote. At the current time we expect the full vote to take place in the September plenary session of the Parliament.

Thank you once again for writing to me on this important issue.

With kind regards
Arlene McCarthy

Not sure if that's good or bad TBH!

sounds like a typical political answer, doesnt really answer you at all and says very little about anything.

I still havent a responce so next week a visit from me will be on the agenda

Had a letter from Michael Gove. He has "noted my positive comments about e-cigs" and has "written on my behalf to Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State for Health, to bring the points you made to his attention" and has "asked him to respond to my concerns about regulation".

Last edited:
And this turned up today:

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thank you for your email setting out your thoughts on a proposal issued by the European Commission to amend current European law concerning the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Among the products to be affected by the proposed changes are electronic inhalers, commonly known as personal vaporizers or e-cigarettes, which vaporize a liquid solution containing nicotine into an aerosol mist which is then inhaled to simulate the act of smoking tobacco. The Commission proposes to limit the amount of nicotine in solutions sold for use in electronic cigarettes to four milligrams of nicotine per millilitre, unless the products have been classified as for medicinal use. This would render the solution too weak to be a viable source of nicotine for smokers or ex-smokers, or would require manufacturers to apply for a costly licence to manufacture medicinal products.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]You are not alone in contacting me on this issue - many constituents feel similarly strongly. I have examined the arguments and I see the potential e-cigarettes offer as harm-reduction devices to improve human health. I understand that e-cigarettes offer concentrated nicotine to addicts without the 4000 toxins and carcinogens found in tobacco smoke, that use of e-cigarettes removes the risk posed to non-smokers (and especially to children of smokers) by second hand smoke, that e-cigarettes appeal to adult smokers seeking to quit but not generally to children or those not yet addicted to nicotine, that traditional nicotine replacement therapies proposed by the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry have had very limited success in helping smokers quit permanently, and that thousands of British e-cigarette users (and millions across the EU and the world) are likely to return smoking if the directive is amended as foreseen and nicotine concentrations are limited to 4mg/ml. I have no doubt that this will lead to a large percentage of such users dying of smoking-related diseases that they might otherwise have avoided. Such arguments have led me to conclude that the proposed changes to limit permitted concentrations of nicotine solution sold in the EU are counter-productive and will do more harm than good.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]As a member of the Parliament's Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety I will put forward these arguments and work to convince other MEPs of the foolishness of diluting nicotine solution to the point of uselessness. I would also encourage you to raise awareness among others in the vaporising community. If you have not already done so I would also encourage you to write to your MP and request that they raise the matter in Westminster. If we bring to the attention of the public, the political world and the media the strong arguments in favour of e-cigarettes as a harm reduction device and the number of lives which can be saved through their use, we have a very strong chance of winning the argument.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Best wishes,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Jacqueline Foster MEP[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Conservative MEP North West England[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Conservative Spokesman on Transport & Tourism[/FONT][/FONT]

Had a reply from Nigel Farage, which echoes one of the other replies and suggests I start looking at black market nic solution if it all goes tits up...

"UKIP, being strongly libertarian, agrees with your personal rights to take tobacco and the like for whatever personal pleasure you take from it. We believe that the EU should have no jurisdiction over us either as individuals or as the United Kingdom in these matters, and that we are entirely able to take these decisions for ourselves as responsible individuals and as an independent nation. Our libertarian values are written into UKIP's constitution.

We will certainly oppose this legislation at all levels, from votes in committee, speeches as opportunity arises, meetings with industry lobbyists (BAT are in contact with us), and final votes in the Strasbourg parliament.

I should mention however that MEPs have no power to introduce legislation, or amendments to existing legislation - those powers are reserved exclusively to the unelected bureaucrats in the EU Commission.

In a more rear-guard manner, it may also be possible for UKIP to put down amendments to the legislation to water it down in progress, or loosen the limits for such things as milligrams allowed for "Over The Counter" sales. Unfortunately, our chances of success in these votes and amendments are small because the three old parties all vote against us and in line with the EU band-wagon. The EU is entirely against personal liberty and freedom, and certainly wishes you to be forced to be healthy in the way it decides for you, which is for your own good, in their view. Of course, eventually the EU will see fit to ban all tobacco, let alone other nicotine products, so that only the black market will exist.

As a further fall-back position it may be useful to prepare yourself for the worst with research into non-EU controlled sources of nicotine fluid and the like which may spring-up in a free market response to the EU Big Brother-Big Nanny State approach to these things, or which may even be available now. The UK alone does an excellent job of regulating such things, and the EU intrusion is as unnecessary as it is unwelcome.

Please support UKIP by voting thoughtfully in all available situations, we are the only party fighting the EU on these and all other aspects of being ruled by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels. As you did not elect them you cannot vote them out, withdrawal is the only way.

You may also be interested in the link below in relation to standardisation of cigarette packaging and the EU's encouragement of counterfeit cigarettes... http://www.ukipmeps.org/articles_66...s-`the-voice-of-the-European-Parliament`.html

and to attempts by the EU to ban menthol cigarettes... http://euroskept.blogspot.be/2013/0...05/menthol-cigarettes-to-be-banned-by-eu.html

In addition to our website you may also find the link below will keep you up to date with the latest EU news... http://euroskept.blogspot.com/2013/05/tobacco-products-directive-and-ecigs-eu.html
Yours sincerely"

So basically, "vote for us please".

Back
Top Bottom