What's new

London Nightingale Hospital

BigCloud

Veteran
London NHS Nightingale hospital is placed on standby
The showpiece Nightingale hospital in London will shut next week after treating a small number of patients but will be kept “in hibernation” in case a second wave of Covid-19 infections emerges.

No further patients will be admitted to the facility, which was created amid much acclaim in just 10 days, and the 12 patients being treated there at the moment are being transferred to other London hospitals.

The Nightingale, built in the ExCel conference centre in the Docklands area of London, has proved surplus to requirements in the fight against coronavirus because established hospitals in the capital coped much better with the influx of critically ill patients after hugely expanding their intensive care units.

It will close on 15 May. Doctors, nurses and other staff working there were told the news on Monday morning. They will return to their usual hospitals during this week and next.

Originally planned to have 4,000 beds, the Nightingale has treated just 54 patients since it was opened by Prince Charles on 3 April and received its first patient on 7 April. It has not admitted a new patient for a week as London hospitals have had spare capacity in their own intensive care units.

That's good news that it wasn't needed. Still money well spent.

what i thought a better use would be to use the nightingail for covid patients only so they can get all other hospitals back to normal and resume cancer treatment, operations backlogs and general clinics.

Meanwhile there is a huge scandal around the virus in care homes and an empty vanity project sitting in London.....

what i thought a better use would be to use the nightingail for covid patients only so they can get all other hospitals back to normal and resume cancer treatment, operations backlogs and general clinics.

I originally thought that was the intention behind the project, but must’ve been mistaken. Still, I hope all those beds are never needed :5:

They will be kept until after winter when covid flares up again

I still have absolutely no idea how they planned on staffing it without ripping staff from generals across the country.

Back
Top Bottom