What's new

Low Output Vaporesso PX80

MixingWizard

Initiate
Hey all,

I'm usually a lurker on here but I've come across a weird problem. I annoyingly lost my usual mod/RDA (Geekvape Aegis Solo with a Nautilus RDA). I picked up a new RDA (it was a nightmare trying to find a decent RDA but that's a different story) and have been vaping away on my backup mod with no problems (another Geekvape but the 21700 version).

I found the 21700 mod way too heavy so I got a Vaporesso PX80 which is a little more pocket friendly. Unfortunately it seems to barely work. It reads my coil fine (a single 0.4 fused Clapton) but I had it at 45w on my old mod and now need to max out the Vaporesso to get anything to happen at all! Its the same coil, same RDA and its a relatively new battery.

Can anyone think of why this might be happening? My only thought is that it's an issue with the 510 adapter the Vaporesso comes with, but it's a pretty basic thing so I can't see how it would add much resistance. I really like the mod otherwise, very compact.

Cheers,
MixingWizard

A lot of the pod mods had very basic boards that had no boost circuitry. I'm not familiar with the one you have but if it has no boost circuit to increase the voltage output the most it can possibly put out is 4.2 Volts with a fully charged battery. In reality whenever you put a battery under load the voltage will drop considerably, the board will use some of the battery and there will be voltage drop through the wiring, the magnetic 510 adaptor etc so, even with a full battery, you'll only have around 3.5 volts at best getting to the coil.

If you used ohms law - 3.5 volts squared, divided by the resistance 3.5 x 3.5 = 12.25. 12.25 divided by 0.40 = 30.62.

if your mod doesn't have boost circuitry, and it only uses one battery, then you will only get around 30 watts max, even with a fully charged battery when firing a 0.40 coil - and the power will get progressively weaker as the battery discharged as the mod has no capacity to boost the voltage to keep the power consistent.

Pod mod kits with no voltage boost circuitry generally use very low ohm coils - like 0.15 and 0.20 to hide the shortcomings of the board - if you use ohms law with 3.5 volts and 0.20 resistance the mod will be capable of double the wattage it can provide with a 0.40 ohm coil.

3.5 x 3.5 = 12.25. 12.25 = 0.20 = 61.24

it doesn't matter what it says on the screen - with no voltage boost circuitry turning up the power will achieve nothing because the maximum power will be dictated by Ohms Law. once you hit the maximum voltage the battery can provide turning up the power will achieve nothing.

the only thing you can do is use a lower resistance coil so the battery can cope. i suggest around 0.20 ohms resistance - but don't forget you MUST use a decent battery

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom