What's new

Mech squonk batteries

@EmbraSewerRat an octopus one and looking at a nice m vapes one but they have none available at the min and I kind of fancy waiting on his DNA 75 to be fair.

What do you have??

I would very happily trade family members for an M-vapes wooden mech Squonker!!

I've a Pico Squeeze, V1 Dripbox and an Octopus that I've not paid too much attention too as yet. It is very small.....

@EmbraSewerRat yeah those M-vapes ones look stunning but hard to get hold of they always seem in short supply!

Yeah the octopus looks small which is what I'm going for really.

I just want the mechs for at home really I tend to stick to regulated and rta's for out and about so I have a bit more battery life!

Currently I'm dripping at home so squonking seems to be the best bet really [emoji106]

I made a mech squonk recently and it's a single 18650.
I find 0.3-0.4 ohm using plain 24g kanthal to be nice, but that's me.
That's about 7/8 wraps at 2.5mm but use steam engine always.
Also use the steam engine ohm tab to get a good idea on the amp draw to keep safe.
I run vtc4/5s as it's under 15a for my go build on the mech.
As others have said, read up and look up mech safety.
Most importantly do throughly test your coils no matter how good you get, a short on a mech is the fastest way to losing the mech, maybe some teeth. For me it build, measure (ohm reader) and then test fire it on a regulated mod for a maybe a couple of refills (rda) to be sure there is no possible shorts.
I do find plain wire to work best on mechs since you can't just up the watts without rebuilding.
Edit
Decided to add - on the vtc4s I use about 3 in a day and I chain vape bad, they are 2000-2100 mah
Also don't go below 3.8/3.7v on your batteries to maintain thier life and safety

Building for a mech is very different to what you are used too, with a regulated mod you can just chuck on any resistance atomiser safely, and if the wire has a lot of mass, just up the wattage.

With a mech however, as you know you can't adjust the voltage, you have to build with this in mind. Also, unlike a regulated mod, resistance is the main factor when it comes to amp load.

The HG2's aren't very good for mech use, but are great for regulated mods. I use 25R's or HE4's for mechs, but the VTC5A as recommended already is better, with a 25A rating.

Try to build with enough surface area to create the cloud and warmth you want, but without going too low into danger territory. A favourite of mine is 26G SS 316L, at around 0.21-0.25 Ohms. To start with though, try a build a bit higher until you get used to using the mech.

@jock1092 thanks for that yeah that's about the range I currently build to so good to know!

I'm going to pick up a tab to build on and check the resistance and double check this with steam engine for the amp draw against the batteries for sure!

In terms of a short I'm not sure what you mean?? Are you talking about the coils shorting out because they are not installed in the dripper correctly?

Thanks for your input!

@conanthewarrior thanks for that yeah I have an understanding around the principles I just want to be safe and find that sweet spot. I
Like a warm flavourful vape so finding a safe sensible build that does that is crucial to me.

I'll defo go and pick up the vtc4's

In terms of volt drop how do you gauge when they have dropped to that level I can't imagine you carry a meter round with you? Is it a feeling thing???

Thanks for your input :) [emoji106]

@jock1092 thanks for that yeah that's about the range I currently build to so good to know!

I'm going to pick up a tab to build on and check the resistance and double check this with steam engine for the amp draw against the batteries for sure!

In terms of a short I'm not sure what you mean?? Are you talking about the coils shorting out because they are not installed in the dripper correctly?

Thanks for your input!
With a short I do mean a short circuit like a coil touching a side or post the wrong way, even after building for a long time I'll occasionally find a coil not quite screwed in right or that has come loose after dry firing and seating.
It's mostly screws coming loose that does it but unlike the regulated that will tell you the mech will still fire.
It's obviously a worst case thing but it's also more dangerous than a low ohm build because a short can end up causing a huge spike in amp draw taking a safe build into real danger levels
It's something I always mention with people asking about first mech devices

@conanthewarrior thanks for that yeah I have an understanding around the principles I just want to be safe and find that sweet spot. I
Like a warm flavourful vape so finding a safe sensible build that does that is crucial to me.

I'll defo go and pick up the vtc4's

In terms of volt drop how do you gauge when they have dropped to that level I can't imagine you carry a meter round with you? Is it a feeling thing???

Thanks for your input :) [emoji106]
Hi mate, I wouldn't go for the VTC4's, go for the VTC5A- the VTC5A has 2500MAH and a higher CDR at 25A. I find the 2.5MM, SS316L dual coils to be nice and warm, with plenty of cloud, but what I find a lot you might find is not much lol.

It is good you want to stay safe, remember you are the only protection a mech has.

Yes you can tell when it is time to change the battery, as you will feel the power and cloud production dropping. It takes a while to get used to this though, so I would pull the batteries say every half hour to check the voltage while you are getting used to things.

@jock1092 ahhh I see thanks for the clarification yeah that makes sense I do check check and double check when I've build coils so I'll just be sure to be super careful when installing!

With all this to think about does anyone have some positive aspects to mechs compared to regulated[emoji23]??

I want one for the size and style not to mention regulated squonkers seem in short supply!

I really hope m-vapes DNA75 squonker comes out soon !

Again thanks for everyone's help an input :)

Back
Top Bottom