What's new

MEP and MP Letters

Got this mail this morning,

DO2uYC9.jpg

That's why I wrote it! :P

I've had some dealings with James Clappison before, and it is quite clear that the government's decision has already been paid for - sorry, made - on this subject.

They won't get away with it. There's no legal, moral or ethical justification for it, and believe it or not, they actually do have to answer for their actions.

We just have to make them, and we will.

Cheers,

Katherine

ok so I thought I'd have a go @ writing to my local MPs & MEPs I sent my letters on 9th Feb

heres what i got back so far

Thank you for your e-mail about electronic cigarettes.

I have spoken to my colleague Glenis Willmott, who is leading for the Labour
side in the European Parliament on this particular issue. The first point
she made is that there is no suggestions of a ban on e-cigarettes within
these proposals. What the Commission is saying is that they should not be
regulated as a tobacco product - e-cigarettes do not contain any tobacco,
after all - but instead should be treated in the same way as other products
which deliver nicotine like gums, sprays and patches. The result of this
will be that manufacturers of e-cigarettes will have to go through the same
process of testing and proving their products before marketing them.

There is no evidence to indicate whether e-cigarettes help smokers give up
or that they encourage people to take up of smoking. But I feel sure you
would accept that both are plausible theories. I say again that what we
really need is independent, scientific evidence. But until that evidence is
available, I fully agree with Glenis that we should adopt a cautious
approach as advised by none other than the World Health Organisation (WHO).
You can find more information about the WHO's approach on this matter at
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2008/pr34/en/index.html. This
press release was issued in 2008 and the WHO maintain this position.

The final point that Glenis Willmott asked me to stress is that we are right
at the beginning of the legislative process. Indeed we are at such an early
stage that Labour MEPs have not yet even discussed the issue with Labour's
Health Team at Westminster, led by Andy Burnham, let alone come anywhere
near to making a final decision on the position we shall adopt as a group
when it comes to the vote in the Parliament.

As these proposals proceed, Glenis will continue to monitor developments
closely. Moreover you can rest assured that she will also continue to listen
to people's concerns such as those which you and others have expressed.

Best wishes,

Brian Simpson MEP

also this one

Thank you for your message, below is an extract from a recent Press Release made by Paul Nuttall MEP.

UKIP have become the first political party, with representatives in the EU, so declare that they are firmly opposed to the electronic cigarette regulation proposed in the Tobacco Products Directive, and the TPD in general.

Paul Nuttall, the Deputy Leader of UKIP said :

''I find this particularly crazy as e-cigarettes are healthier alternatives to smoking. And, as I have previously said, the European Commission will not stop here, next it will be alcohol and foods,"

For more information on UKIP, please visit: http://www.ukip.org/

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nigel Brown[/FONT]

That's why I wrote it! :P

I've had some dealings with James Clappison before, and it is quite clear that the government's decision has already been paid for - sorry, made - on this subject.

They won't get away with it. There's no legal, moral or ethical justification for it, and believe it or not, they actually do have to answer for their actions.

We just have to make them, and we will.

Cheers,

Katherine

Identical to the letter from Jeremy Hunt (and posted as an attachment I think).

OK - I sent a ranty, direct email to Mr Hunt - here's the reply I got:

"Dear Uncle Ethel (edited by me!),

Thank you for your email of 6 February to Jeremy Hunt about the sale of tobacco products and the use of electronic cigarettes. I have been asked to reply.

Given 400 years of social acceptance of smoking in the Western world, the Department of Health does not believe that a ban on the sale and production of tobacco in the UK is a realistic way forward and will not support it. The Department believes that people should have the choice to smoke.

However, the Department believes that others should be protected from secondhand smoke. This is what is being achieved through the Government’s smokefree legislation, where smoking is eliminated in virtually every enclosed public place and workplace in this country.

In March 2011, the Department published ‘Healthy Lives, Healthy People: A Tobacco Control Plan for England’, which set out how its comprehensive, evidence-based programme of tobacco control will be delivered within the context of the new public health system over the next five years. The control plan included a commitment to explore options to reduce the promotional impact of tobacco packaging and to publish a consultation paper.

The Government wants to make it easier for people to make healthy choices. To do this, it needs to understand whether there is evidence to demonstrate that the plain packaging of tobacco products would have an additional health benefit, over and above existing tobacco control initiatives.

Further information about the ‘Tobacco Control Plan’ can be found on the Department’s website at:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publication...tions/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_124917

With regard to electronic cigarettes, it may be helpful if I set out the current position. There are a number of products that are widely and easily available on the market such as nicotine-containing electronic cigarettes, that claim to contain nicotine but are not licensed medicines. Currently, any nicotine-containing product (NCP) that claims or implies that it can assist in giving up smoking is considered by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) to be a medicinal product. This approach has allowed NCPs, such as electronic cigarettes, that do not make such claims to be used and sold without the safeguards built into the regulation of medicinal products. Therefore, the safety and efficacy of the products as they are used has not been subject to the type of rigorous testing expected for medicines regulation.

The MHRA is responsible for the regulation of medicines and medical devices, and deciding where products fit can be very difficult. Alcoholic drinks and coffee, for example, are regulated as foodstuffs. However, there are products containing caffeine that are regulated as medicinal products due to the medicinal purpose of the product and some foods fall within the definition of a medicinal product because they modify physiological processes for a medical reason.

Until relatively recently, there were few or no nicotine products available. The increasing availability of these products and potential impact on public health means that the Department needs to consider how they are regulated. Products that contain nicotine and that appreciably affect metabolism in normal usage fall within medicines legislation in terms of pharmacological action. In light of this, the MHRA undertook a public consultation exercise to seek views on the regulation of NCPs.

In March 2011, the MHRA published the outcome of the public consultation, which is available at:

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Publications/Consultations/Medicinesconsultations/MLXs/CON065617

The consultation highlighted the need for further information about levels of nicotine that have a significant pharmacological effect and the need for further information on the impact of regulation on public health and business. The MHRA is coordinating further scientific and market research with a view to a final decision on the application of medicines regulation later this year.

The Government wants to ensure that an effective regulatory framework exists to protect consumers from any electronic cigarette products that fail to meet acceptable standards for quality, safety and efficacy. Reducing the public health impact of smoking remains a priority. The Government does not want to reduce the availability of products that help to reduce smoking but does want to ensure that smokers have access to products that are acceptably safe and that support smokers in reducing the number of cigarettes they smoke or to quit.

With the ongoing work of the MHRA in mind, the Government will be reviewing the proposals in the draft ‘Tobacco Products Directive’ carefully. The proposals will be discussed by the Member
States and the European Parliament and will be subject to change during this process. The legislation is unlikely to be adopted before 2014 or to come into effect before 2015/2016.
Yours sincerely,

Edward Corbett
Ministerial Correspondence and Public Enquiries
Department of Health"

I have no idea what that means, to be honest, but might I understand that so long as no vendor mentions cutting down, giving up or healthier alternative but says vaping is the recreational use of nicotine - JUST LIKE CIGGIES - the government, MHRA and every other sod and his dog can feck off? Or is that just me wishfully thinking? When I first started vaping a lot of companies marketed their kits as "quit kits" - now hardly any of them do. Roll on the black market! It's time for some excitement!!!!

My interpretation of the standard reply:

I read the Opinion of Jeremy Hunt as saying 'those darned e-cig people are selling NRT and cutting pharma companies out by pretending that vaping isn't an NRT when everybody knows that any way of delivering nicotine without tobacco is an NRT'.
How dare they steal Big Pharma's profits! We'll stop them, and no need to worry about the EU because we'll do it before them.

I hope I'm wrong.

I hope so too, but I don't think you are wrong. I have a funny feeling that this is all done and dusted... :(

Back
Top Bottom