What's new

mesh wick help please

spaglemon

Initiate
having now made a few mesh wicks for my wifes vivi nova which have all worked very well the latest of which was a hybrid mesh with fibre wick inside i'd like some advice please

is it normal for an oxidised mesh wick to darken the juice in the tank considerably or have i done something wrong ?

my wife rinsed out the tank that was becoming very dark and re-filled it with fresh juice and she says it tastes even better now ?

i oxidise the wicks 3 times then burn off 3 lots of pg on them, is this the best procedure ?

would it be possible to only oxidise the part of the mesh wick that is in contact with the coil leaving the ends that sit in the juice in the tank plain mesh ?

thanks

Juice can darken for any number of reasons. Light sensitivity, colourings developing etc. As long as the taste is not affected I wouldn't worry too much.

There seem to be quite a few misconceptions about oxidising mesh wicks.

In my own experience while it looks flash with a super dooper blow-torch, a humble gas lighter works just as well. The only part of the mesh wick that needs to be oxidised, is the part(s) that come into contact with conducting (ie. metal) surfaces. So the area in contact with the coil or likely to touch metal parts of the atomizer. The goal of oxidising is to reduce/remove the conductivity of that part of the wick, so that the electricity only passes through the coil. If you don't oxidise properly, you will get short circuits, popping coils perhaps a burnt taste, as the mesh gets heated unevenly.

Some swear by quenching the heated mesh in water/PG, but it is likely that this only makes the mesh more brittle.

Personally I carefully heat the part of the mesh that will be in contact with the coil, till it is glowing red, turn the mesh so all sides are heated and let it cool. When the mesh is in place with coil, I'll give it a drop or two of juice to hopefully aid the initial wicking. Simple!

I know nothing at all about Vivi/Nova/Stardust thingamajigs, but if there is no metal for the mesh to make contact with apart from at the coil, it should only be necessary to oxidise at the coil.

Juice can darken for any number of reasons. Light sensitivity, colourings developing etc. As long as the taste is not affected I wouldn't worry too much.

There seem to be quite a few misconceptions about oxidising mesh wicks.

In my own experience while it looks flash with a super dooper blow-torch, a humble gas lighter works just as well. The only part of the mesh wick that needs to be oxidised, is the part(s) that come into contact with conducting (ie. metal) surfaces. So the area in contact with the coil or likely to touch metal parts of the atomizer. The goal of oxidising is to reduce/remove the conductivity of that part of the wick, so that the electricity only passes through the coil. If you don't oxidise properly, you will get short circuits, popping coils perhaps a burnt taste, as the mesh gets heated unevenly.

Some swear by quenching the heated mesh in water/PG, but it is likely that this only makes the mesh more brittle.

Personally I carefully heat the part of the mesh that will be in contact with the coil, till it is glowing red, turn the mesh so all sides are heated and let it cool. When the mesh is in place with coil, I'll give it a drop or two of juice to hopefully aid the initial wicking. Simple!

I know nothing at all about Vivi/Nova/Stardust thingamajigs, but if there is no metal for the mesh to make contact with apart from at the coil, it should only be necessary to oxidise at the coil.

thanks for the reply and the advice, it makes sense to me to only oxidise the area of wick that needs to be oxidised, i tried a hybrid type mesh wick with some fibre wick inside and my wife swears it tastes better than the mesh alone ? it's all good practice for when her minihellfire finally arrives

thanks

Back
Top Bottom