What's new

Ministers urged to ban single-use vapes amid rising popularity with UK children - The Guardian

90% my arse

These things piss me off no end though, make them less appealing or ban the bloody things

The child vaping crisis: ‘From what my daughter says, 90% of her year do it’
https://www.theguardian.com/society...om-what-my-daughter-says-90-of-her-year-do-it

Absolutely disgraceful journalism from a supposedly respectable newspaper...
So, some mother says her daughter said that, and it becomes the headline?!?! FFS

Further down the article -
In 2015, Rosey Christoffersen, who was 18 and a talented footballer, died. Her lungs had collapsed. Her family believes it was due to vaping.
As tragic as this death is, are her parents now either pathologists or scientists with some direct evidence that attributes it to vaping?

At the bottom of the article, it says -
Do you have an opinion on the issues raised in this article? If you would like to submit a letter of up to 300 words to be considered for publication, email it to us at [email protected]
I would write in, but there doesn't seem any point due to conflicting interests being a vendor...

Why is it "appalling"?
At least they are not (or unlikely) to be smoking instead...
Where as using pouches is by far better than smoking, it is worse than vaping in that it is usually tobacco in the pouch (though there are newer pouches without) or tobacco pouchless. There is a higher incidence of lip, gum, tongue cancer from long term use. Several studies have indicated a higher degree of diabetes, due to the fact that many use large amounts of snus constantly throughout the day giving them a constant level of nicotine (no peaks and drops as with smoking and vaping). Appalling is both how easily teenagers can acquire snus, and the pouches or clumps of tobacco thrown everywhere :17:

Edited for the sake of truth :22:

My only point was that all the arguments against teenage vaping apply equally to snus, but once again vapers are made the scapegoat :hmm:

Last edited:
Is the football hero you are referring to, Walt Garrison? (the guy in the YT video)
If it is, according to Wiki, he is 78 and still alive & kicking...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Garrison
Wow, do I feel the twat :56: You’re absolutely right! I do see that that I wasn’t the only one fooled by rumours of his death, though, and there were rumours he survived cancer, but nothing confirmed… Maybe I was thinking of the Marlboro man :18: I bow to your wise use of Google, I promise to research all future urban legends :D

just ban them, everyone was happy enough before the shitty things came along

just ban them, everyone was happy enough before the shitty things came along

Martin Cullip opinion piece -
Banning disposables would be the first step towards total Vape Prohibition
https://www.1828.org.uk/2023/06/07/...he-first-step-towards-total-vape-prohibition/
This constant clamour for prohibition reveals the true intentions of those pushing for it. For many, concern for the environment is just a mask for their irrational dislike of vaping. They ignore the societal benefits that vapes and e-cigarettes offer and just see disposables as a first step in banning vaping entirely.
Disposable vapes play a pivotal role for many as they switch from cigarettes. Potential ex-smokers can test the waters with disposables without committing to refillable devices which are a greater financial commitment, especially considering smoking is heavily centred in more deprived communities.
Moreover, banning single use vapes would exclude whole sections of society from being able to make the switch away from cigarettes. Older people and those with accessibility issues like arthritis often find disposables much easier to use than refillables. Refillables often require disassembling and reassembling fiddly components, making them cumbersome for these groups. Homeless populations, where smoking is rife, lack access to power sources needed to charge the devices. A ban on single use vapes would create barriers to better health for some of the most disadvantaged individuals in our society.

Back
Top Bottom