What's new

They just don’t get it – Commission proposal for the regulation of e-cigarettes

I wrote to my MP and the MEPs representing my area last night and have had a response from one of the MEPs. He told me that they had already voted on it in October and that they generally agreed with our stance. I have replied with a link to the document on the Nicotine Sience and Policy website and also summarised the info from Clive Bates regarding the "confidential new proposal" or sneaky attempt to circumvent democracy as it could also be described. I shall await his response....

Gone and lost my jaw again!

UqFs5Ev.png

Also, according to this clueless individual (who is arguing with Dr Christian no less) thinks this picture is 'tar stains'

eciggyhealth.jpg

Shoot me now.

I'm off to twat, I mean tweet her..

Gone and lost my jaw again!

UqFs5Ev.png

Also, according to this clueless individual (who is arguing with Dr Christian no less) thinks this picture is 'tar stains'

eciggyhealth.jpg

Shoot me now.

I'm off to twat, I mean tweet her..

Just twatted this ignorant person, telling them to check their facts before they tweet. Don't know why I bother to be honest people would rather believe gossip in the pub rather than proven fact

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

this "E-cigarettes

Electronic or e-cigarettes aren’t currently regulated like products that contain tobacco. At the moment, we don’t know enough about whether they are safe, effective or made to consistent quality standards.

So the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is carrying out research on these products - looking in particular at how different levels of nicotine affect the body. We’ll use this research to help us to decide whether we need to take any action on e-cigarettes.
Comes from this page. https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/reducing-smoking

another cherry picked snippet (they do it)
The government wants to ensure all regulations are fair and effective. We want to strike the right balance between protecting people’s rights, health and safety and freeing them from unnecessary bureaucracy.

Last edited:
Looks like some ones been planning this for quite awhile, cherry picked this from a document dated 30-01-2013

PMI is developing a range of products which have the potential to reduce the risk of smoking related disease in adult
smokers who switch to them from conventional cigarettes. PMI’s approach is to eliminate
combustion and limit or eliminate pyrolysis while still providing adult smokers with products
that they will accept as substitutes for conventional cigarettes.

courtesy of the department of health

Last edited:
Via Facebook

Katherine Devlin of ECITA

Hi, all,

Sorry for the long delay - again! We are still maniacally busy, and believe it or not, there is actual progress happening. (Somebody needs to let the Commission know, of course, but they'll catch up eventually... )

The leaked document from the Commission seems to have been their attempt at proving they are idiots ... corrupt... out to kill every EU smoker... horrendously ill-informed - despite having been given ALL the information they could possibly need.

More than anything, it reeks of a toddler's temper tantrum, throwing ALL the toys out of the pram, AND the baby out with the bath water all in one go! (And prams in the bath are a bad idea at ANY time! ) Basically, one could interpret the Commission's proposal as their saying:

"OK, European Parliament, you wanna play rough, and vote against our medicines regulation proposal? Fine! Then we'll give you something even worse! Hah! How do you like THEM apples?"

Now, of course, the European Parliament is not filled with total idiots, so they will not have been impressed with this stunt at all. (Indeed, this is the feedback I have been hearing.) However, it seems that the Commission has already recognised that it was very damaging ... 'unfortunate' that their document was leaked (but then the Commission could easily be renamed 'The Colander', with few noticing much difference! ), since they are now having to make overtures to the Parliament to try to calm these troubled waters - despite the fact that the ripples were caused by their tossing of pram, baby and bathwater overboard!

Suffice to say, this was only a proposal into the Trialogue process, which is ongoing. It is perhaps still possible for something sensible to come out of this, but it is at least as important as it ever was for every vaper who cares about this (and every human being who is NOT a vaper, but cares about this!) to TELL YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVE WHY THIS MATTERS TO YOU!!!! Both your MEPs and your MPs need to know YOUR story; they need to know why you (or your friend/family member) vapes; they need to know what kit you use, with what flavour and strength, and WHY this has helped you stay off the cigarettes.

Ultimately, although the UK government appears to be making far more sensible noises in the past few weeks, this is unlikely to be in time to have an impact in Brussels IF (and that's a very big 'if') the EU is going to get a revision to the TPD through in the first reading. Personally, I believe this is getting increasingly unlikely, since the EU as a whole (Commission, Council and Parliament) appear totally unable to agree on anything sensible for ecigs. If they are so desperate to get the TPD through before the end of this parliament, then they will have to leave ecigs out. If they keep them in with numptiness such as that proposed by the Commission, the whole TPD is likely to be doomed.

We WILL win this thing, peeps, but only if we stick together and continue to fight hard - and make no mistake: we are fighting for our lives, as well as for the lives of all the smokers who have not yet had the opportunity we have had to find the right vaping kit for us as individuals.

Happy and long-lived vaping, one and all,

Katherine

Back
Top Bottom