What's new

They just don’t get it – Commission proposal for the regulation of e-cigarettes

Took some doing and getting seriously p..sed at typing. But emails are away.
On the back of one of Sassy 's comment's, if you look though English history, every 80-100 years there's been a mass uprising of some sort or another. The last one being in south wales in 1831. That puts us well overdue for something major to happen.
I'm not an alarmist or nothing, ( and no I'm not trying to start a riot either) but if two million plus people where to kick off at the same time.

I'll make an appointment with Mr Blunkett tomorrow, im told its just a phone call for an appointment. We'll see

I didn't intend to put as much in, I could have gone further but didn't want their auto reply to just say " TL;DR " :)

Dear (insert name of person supposedly on our side here )

I felt that I should put finger to keyboard (which annoyingly does not have the same sounding impact as putting pen to paper) about the news filtering through about Article 18 from a perspective as a business owner in the ecig industry and also an avid user who has failed to quit smoking using other methods for years.

Firstly I cannot believe that any legislation such as this, that would effectively ban all current products on the market could come to pass without some form of coercion from parties likely to lose billions in revenue such as Pharmaceuticals and Tobacco and I know I am certainly not going to be the first to voice this concern. Certainly after the TPD amendment failed in Brussels we were happy to see that our voice had been heard initially and that swathes of public figures, MEP's and MP's that had previously vilified the e-cig and associated products had realised the greater public health implications of keeping them open and available to the public.

Article 18 does the very opposite of this and is incredibly damaging to all except those aforementioned industries with the financial might to quickly buy their way around the legislation and product development required in order to become the only players in the game once again.

As a small business owner in this market I strive for many things, excellent service and support, a range of products to suit different people and most of all I strive to convert those who currently smoke to a new way to enjoy nicotine. My own mother has had Cancer on a couple of occasions and, I suspect like many others with a similar health scare, I want her around for many more years - something that will not likely happen should a de-facto ban be placed on these products.

Health aside, the industry is young, it is fresh and is offering new jobs to people in manufacturing and retail as well as all the associated sectors - something that should not be overlooked. It is freeing up the NHS and other health services as less and less will need to visit doctors for smoking related illnesses. It is making families healthier and happier with those who were once sentenced to wheeze through life once cigarette at a time and either give up something they enjoyed or just die as a result.

My own business is fledgeling and yet I have many converts from smoking on my customer lists, from those in their twenties to their sixties and through implementation of Article 18, the European Parliament will fail them spectacularly at a time when it should be fighting to see more people live happier and healthier lives with a product known to be many times less harmful than the major alternative it squares up against.

There needs to be open discussion on this matter - not closed door legislation
There needs to be an open market, with flavours and strengths in various brands in order to satisfy everyone looking to switch.
There needs to be no restriction on the method in which people are permitted to use their devices, keeping single use cartomisers with no refills is simply not good enough.

We need to be able to continue to vape, or smoke, or take NRT - whatever method WE decide but through OUR own choice.

I am sending this (now lengthy - my apologies) email to you in the hope that you will my issues with this policy article..

I am happy to be a vaper, I enjoy the experience. My family enjoy having a father and husband who does not smell or wheeze, someone who can spend more money on family outings through not smoking. I am healthier since making the switch and damaging legislation on any level will be fought until we are left with our range of devices, our liquids, our flavours and strengths to suit US.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you are able to do something to help.

Sent to feckin everybody apart from my MEP who just happens to be smackavan... Sent to Rebecca Taylor instead as she seems nice :)

Here is the original leaked document on this absurd backroom proposal:

http://nicotinepolicy.net/documents...arettes - Commission proposal 22 Nov 2013.pdf

I have absolutely no words whatsoever for this complete and utter disregard for democracy from these politicians.
This is an outrage and not only do they disregard the decision that just passed EU parliament last month but they also disregard the free will of millions that switched to vaping and might well be forced back on analogs when this will go in effect.

There is however one thing that the politicians currently in power do not have at the moment and that is time, that is why the current EU presidency Lithuania will want to push this through before the end of this year because as of the 1st of Januari Greece will have the EU presidency and their view on vaping might be completely different.

As i'm Dutch over at the Dutch/Belgian KCER forums their is also a lot of disbelief but people are tweeting, writing emails and getting as much out there as possible to inform politicians and people in general.
I understand that over at the French forums they've been taking similar actions all day as well.

We as european vapers must unite and let our voices be heard, getting as much positive media on vaping out there to get the public opinion on board and prepare for bringing this in the courts all over the EU.

Apologies for the long rant but i'm a firm believer in freedom of choice and today this news really pissed me off.

I have absolutely no words whatsoever for this complete and utter disregard for democracy [...] this news really pissed me off.

That about sums up the feeling I have and that everyone I've spoken to about this has.

I really doubt that it's actually going to pass as is, it's designed as a starting proposal, but they ARE trying to rush through the TPD before Greece gets the EU presidency as they think that Greece is nowhere near as likely to want a hardline TPD on it's watch, unlike Lithuania.
(I think it would fall foul of several lawsuits if it did pass, but anyway)

The more voices the EU politicians hear from actual real honest concerned vapers the less likely they are to pass this and the closer we'll get back towards an Ammendment 170 or better yet dropping ecigs altogether from the TPD passing the TPD sans ecigs and then writing new legislation that's fit for purpose, properly, as Clive Bates is advocating.

If you're reading this thread and you've not contacted your MP and your MEP yet, stop reading this now and go and do it.

It's easy. Go to www.writetothem.com and input your postcode you'll get a list of links of the right people you need to contact. Then you can write out your letter and send it off.

writetothem.com auto filters spam - so if you copy and paste a letter someone else has written it will be blocked, please use your own words.

Could be the most important 10 minutes you spend this week.

I've emailed my MP/MEP's/Councillors but I can guarantee there'll be sod all responses back from them.

bump. and emails sent to all my local MP's several of which have direct FB contact with too as i have dealt with them previously on a personal level in my photographic capacity so at the very least know they will get read personally and ive already spoken direct to one of them this morning.

From Article 18
Only flavours which are authorized for use in nicotine replacement therapies can be used in
electronic cigarettes, unless such a flavour is particularly attractive to young people and non-smokers

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but a plain English reading of that clause seems to be susceptible of two distinct and opposite meanings, one that excludes "attractive" flavours and one that includes them over and above those in NRTs. In fact on my first reading I took the second of these meanings.

A good barrister could probably have a field day with that one.

Just had a promising reply back from my local MP who has promised to take things further with Jane Ellison.

Hopefully we can arrange a face to face soon and talk in more detail.

If you still haven't written to your MP, use www.writetothem.com and go and do so now, it's very effective.

Back
Top Bottom