What's new

My 1st vape on composite coils

vapervince

Achiever
The postie brought my coils this morning, Wotofo dual fused clapton 0.62 ohm Ni80 so I set the bonza up for building.
It was a bit of a faff getting the coils to sit where I wanted them but in the end I got them looking right and they ohmed out at 0.29, I set the mod to 30 watt to check for hot spots then to 40 watt to check that they glowed from the inside to out, all being well I wicked them up with about the same amount of rayon that I would use in my rba s, a snug fit but not tight.
I looked on steam engine to get some idea of a good vaping wattage but if the info is on there I couldn`t find it so I guessed at 45 watts, juiced up and took a pull, the flavor was fantastic but there was a fair amount of spitting that I`d like to get rid of, I could mess with the wicks but my question is could I take the wicks out, glow the coils and pinch them together with the ceramic tweezers?
Other than the spitting I`m made up with the dripper, the flavor is fantastic and there is an enormous amount of vapor which I suppose some vapers look for, but for me the flavor is a revelation.

The postie brought my coils this morning, Wotofo dual fused clapton 0.62 ohm Ni80 so I set the bonza up for building.
It was a bit of a faff getting the coils to sit where I wanted them but in the end I got them looking right and they ohmed out at 0.29, I set the mod to 30 watt to check for hot spots then to 40 watt to check that they glowed from the inside to out, all being well I wicked them up with about the same amount of rayon that I would use in my rba s, a snug fit but not tight.
I looked on steam engine to get some idea of a good vaping wattage but if the info is on there I couldn`t find it so I guessed at 45 watts, juiced up and took a pull, the flavor was fantastic but there was a fair amount of spitting that I`d like to get rid of, I could mess with the wicks but my question is could I take the wicks out, glow the coils and pinch them together with the ceramic tweezers?
Other than the spitting I`m made up with the dripper, the flavor is fantastic and there is an enormous amount of vapor which I suppose some vapers look for, but for me the flavor is a revelation.

Yeah you can dry burn the coils off to clean them for months. Bit tighter cotton usually helps with the spitting. :)

Yeah a bit thigher cotton normally gets the spitback taken care of

I always believed spitback is because you either have too much juice on the coils - should settle after the first drag - OR not enough power, so the juice is boiling instead of being vaporized.

I always believed spitback is because you either have too much juice on the coils - should settle after the first drag - OR not enough power, so the juice is boiling instead of being vaporized.
Well yes. Except boiling is how vapour is produced. So not enough power, would lead to less spitting, I’d have thought. But, in essence too little cotton is allowing pools, of juice, to heat and pop. Correct wicking stops this. Mind though. Just because there’s more cotton inside the coil. Doesn’t mean you need loads in the juice well or ports. Especially is you use high VG. You need more cotton in the well/ juice ports, with low VG.
This, at first, seemed rather counterintuitive. But if you think about it, it does make perfect sense.

I think I`ve solved the spitting issue, the bonza set up as it is is a thirsty little bugger and I must have been starving it.
This morning I juiced up coil and wick first then made sure that there was enough juice to just start pooling in the juice well and that along with blowing into the atty before taking a hit has done the trick, but like so many other things in vaping when you solve one problem it highlights another, leaking, it is fine when the device is vertical but when I tilt it to take a pull there is some weeping from the air vents but I suppose that`s just a matter of judgement.
When I first started using external batteries the advice was to only run them down to about 25 - 30% for the first 2-3 cycles before recharging, does that still hold true?

I think I`ve solved the spitting issue, the bonza set up as it is is a thirsty little bugger and I must have been starving it.
This morning I juiced up coil and wick first then made sure that there was enough juice to just start pooling in the juice well and that along with blowing into the atty before taking a hit has done the trick, but like so many other things in vaping when you solve one problem it highlights another, leaking, it is fine when the device is vertical but when I tilt it to take a pull there is some weeping from the air vents but I suppose that`s just a matter of judgement.
When I first started using external batteries the advice was to only run them down to about 25 - 30% for the first 2-3 cycles before recharging, does that still hold true?

I've never heard that one before, as far as I'm aware you are perfectly safe running your batteries until your mod hits low power cut off - however it is not safe to store batteries at low power because if the internal voltage drops below 2.5 Volts they can suffer internal damage and refuse to recharge if they self-discharge below 2.5 Volts so if you aren't going to use them for a while it is best to give them a top up charge and check them occasionally to make sure they don't drop below 3.6 - 3.7 Volts. If you are using a mech mod it is best to play safe and change the batteries before they drop below 25 to 30% but with a regulated mod you should be safe running them down to low power cut off.

Last edited:
Well yes. Except boiling is how vapour is produced. So not enough power, would lead to less spitting, I’d have thought. But, in essence too little cotton is allowing pools, of juice, to heat and pop. Correct wicking stops this. Mind though. Just because there’s more cotton inside the coil. Doesn’t mean you need loads in the juice well or ports. Especially is you use high VG. You need more cotton in the well/ juice ports, with low VG.
This, at first, seemed rather counterintuitive. But if you think about it, it does make perfect sense.

Dunno, never had this spitback problem so can’t really tell.

Back
Top Bottom