What's new

My head hurts now,volts+amps+ohms

Chegs

Veteran
I have a box mod & 10 x 18650 batteries charged up.I have also got an LM2596 Step Down Adjustable power module.I have built several new coils recently,following youtube/POTV picture guides yet every one of them has come out approx double the ohms of others coils regardless of the wire thickness I use(presently only 0.2 left in any quantity)I got a new RBA yesterday,within a few minutes it was coiled & vaping like a good 'un.Because I'm used to CE4 type devices,I quit messing with the new RBA & went to watch some TV but when I tried to pick up the RBA I forgot what it was & grabbed the driptip which meant the tank+battery box tried to hide under the PC desk.When I'd finished swearing,I collected it off the floor & was pissed off to see that the box had landed on the coil+wick mounting plate & crushed it out of shape(coil+wick,not the plate)Oh bollocks! (more obscenity) etc.Made another coil+wick(3mm silica)but now it refuses to give decent vapes.I resumed using a CE4 while I experimented last night & most of today making more turns of wire than 4,less than 4,twisted pair etc etc but none of them are vaping anything like the 1st.

1) Insert sewing needle through length of 3 mm silica wick
2)wrap 4 turns of 0.2 kanthal round wick
3)insert wick into atty & trap 1 leg of coil under post
4)trap other wire leg under other post
5)trim off excess wire
6)fill tank with 60/40 banana juice
7)set volts to approx 3.7
8)use multimeter to check for shorts on coil/ohms etc
9)attach atty to box,hit fire button
10)swear cuz coil glows bright red & vapes taste dry/burnt etc
11)drop volts to 3.5 & now coil not glowing but also not producing much vapour

I have now decided this is beyond my comprehension & I need advice from someone.

The coil resistance is usually 3.0 ohms(+/- 0.1)unless I use twisted wire which gave me 4.2 ohms...every one of the how-to's or videos I've watched says should be 1.5 ohms(approx)

If I alter the voltage,the coil either glows red (& ruins the taste) or doesn't get hot enough to produce a satisfactory vapour so I tried using 2 x 18650's in series (8 volts approx) then turned it down using the LM2596 board to 3 volts before turning it up slowly until the coil turned red,then backed it off until the coil just lost its glow.This works just fine on a CE4 type device with any battery combination but the RBA just goes from burnt/dry to vapourless.
Is this because of the amperage available from 2 x 18650's?

Sounds like something is wrong with your power reg, 0.2v change shouldn't make that much difference, but I'm not sure I understand your rig... You say 2 18650 batteries - series or parallel?, you also say you're getting 3 ohms from 4 turns of .2 Kanthal? that should be impossible more like .8 to 1.2 - can you post pictures?

Here you go,think you can just about make out the coils.

Sent by lazer from just north of the world's largest nuclear dustbin

Attachments

• 1383257518353.jpg
    1383257518353.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 36
what the hell is all that stuff off the top of your wick?

The 18650's can be used in either series or parallel (I have so many pairs,I set some up as series & some as parallel pairs)

.2 Kanthal at 4/5 wraps gives 1.6 -1.8 ohms anything higher than that, and you have metal touching bare metal somewhere. It could be that your wick isnt ox'ed enough or you have a damaged o-ring somewhere.

Not exactly sure if its the shit on the bench behind it or the shitty photograph taken with my phone. :)

It also looks like you have both wires coming off the center post? Pic is really fuzzy so hard to make out

The biggest issue we have chegs is understanding your Heath Robinson device. It's totally unlike anything on the market, so that doesn't help but there are one or two basics that should remain the same, give or take.

If you are doing 5/4 wraps of 0.2mm kanthal around a 3mm silica then you shouldn't get more than 1.8 to 2 Ohms absolutely max. To me you are either picking up impedance from something else in the circuit or else the MM is out of calibration somehow.

My biggest concern is the batteries and you running a pair of 18650's in series without a protection circuit in-line.

What make are the batteries?
How old are they?
What mAh are they?
What voltage reading are you getting from each?
What's the max CCD of the batteries? I.e. their Constant Current Discharge or amp rating?

Back
Top Bottom