What's new

new VAT rules for imports from 1st jan 2021

zouzounaki

Olympian
i just came across this. so any overseas vendor selling items to people in the uk will need to register with hmrc. are people aware of this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/vat-enquiries

“For imports of goods from outside the UK in consignments not exceeding £135 in value (which aligns with the threshold for customs duty liability), we will be moving the point at which VAT is collected from the point of importation to the point of sale. This will mean that UK supply VAT, rather than import VAT, will be due on these consignments.

The new arrangements will also involve the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which relieves import VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less.

Online marketplaces (OMPs), where they are involved in facilitating the sale, will be responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT.

For goods sent from overseas and sold directly to UK consumers without OMP involvement, the overseas seller will be required to register and account for the VAT to HMRC.”

What does this mean for an ordinary punter like me ordering £50 worth of stuff from Fasttech.
Will i be affected ?

I think it means that Fasttech putting a value of $15 on every parcel and packet won't work any more.

So i now have to pay 10 quid more to FT
just so some folk can get a Blue passport ?
Who the fuck thought this was a good idea ?

i just came across this. so any overseas vendor selling items to people in the uk will need to register with hmrc. are people aware of this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/vat-enquiries

“For imports of goods from outside the UK in consignments not exceeding £135 in value (which aligns with the threshold for customs duty liability), we will be moving the point at which VAT is collected from the point of importation to the point of sale. This will mean that UK supply VAT, rather than import VAT, will be due on these consignments.

The new arrangements will also involve the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which relieves import VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less.

Online marketplaces (OMPs), where they are involved in facilitating the sale, will be responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT.

For goods sent from overseas and sold directly to UK consumers without OMP involvement, the overseas seller will be required to register and account for the VAT to HMRC.”
Your link just leads to an enquiry page.
Is this just related to EU imports?

I’ve just done the what do you do quiz off the link page

it’s a minefield

cheers Boris clear as mud

A70278FB-20E9-46EA-86C6-82BA94C3D1C0.png

Paid 20% tax on an order today from Ali Express.

ordered some cotton aliexpress a week ago i wonder if i will get stung, oh well time to support our vendors more in future.

Back
Top Bottom