What's new

new VAT rules for imports from 1st jan 2021

ordered some cotton aliexpress a week ago i wonder if i will get stung, oh well time to support our vendors more in future.
No, if you bought it last week you shouldn't get stung as the charge is at point of sale.

ordered some cotton aliexpress a week ago i wonder if i will get stung, oh well time to support our vendors more in future.

Our vendors will be paying the extra costs too, and they will just pass it on to us.

This is gonna take some digesting. :hmm:

Would be very interested to hear from any vendors on here who purchase their materials from outside the EU for sale domestically and what impact this is going to have on them.

Last edited:
I cant see the Chinese vendors continuing with UK giveaways, surely they won't want to be assed to collect VAT and other possible duty shite. How will it affect, for instance, POTV product reviewers, most of the stuff comes from outside of the UK. Despite the £39 rule, there is a commercial element attached to all of the reviewers stuff, as it comes from a company/ business, which theoretically means that the reviewer would have to pay duty on all products received for review, no matter the value, unless the vendor paid it for them?

Maybe it only applies to Royal Mail and Parcel Force?

1.1 What this notice is about

This notice explains what happens when you import or export goods by post through Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide. It also applies to gifts received through the post. Unless specified otherwise, all further references to Royal Mail within the text of this notice also applies to Parcelforce Worldwide, who are part of Royal Mail Group Ltd.

But:

This notice explains what happens when you import or export goods by post through Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide. It also applies to gifts received through the post. Unless specified otherwise, all further references to Royal Mail within the text of this notice also applies to Parcelforce Worldwide, who are part of Royal Mail Group Ltd.

2.2 Paying taxes on goods sent to you

Most goods arriving in the UK are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

• Customs Duty
  • Excise Duty
  • Import VAT
These taxes must still be paid if:

• you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
  • the goods are new or used (including antiques)
  • the goods are for your private use or for re-sale
2.4 Gifts

Goods sent as a gift that are over £39 in value are liable to Import VAT. Customs Duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135.

To qualify as a gift:

• the customs declaration must be completed correctly
  • the gift must be sent from a private person outside the UK to a private person(s) in the UK
  • there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly by anyone in the UK
  • the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary
If you purchase something from outside of the UK to give as a gift to a relative or friend, whether or not it is addressed to that person, it will be treated as a ‘commercial consignment’, for which the Import VAT relief threshold in section 2.3 applies.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...tice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users

This is gonna take some digesting. :hmm:

Would be very interested to hear from any vendors on here who purchase their materials from outside the EU for sale domestically and what impact this is going to have on them.

i think it’s only about consumer purchases. dunno if there may be other changes that will affect business customers though.

Maybe it only applies to Royal Mail and Parcel Force?

no it applies to anything you import. the vat needs to be charged at the point of sale, which means any vendor anywhere in the world needs to be registered for uk vat with hmrc to sell us goods.

i don’t know how they will police it. it will surely be complicated.

Back
Top Bottom