What's new

Nic Salts? Why Not?

ZenAnarchi

Achiever
Are Nic Sats an alternative you use regularly? I’ve been noticing that there are fewer retailers offering nic shots with nic salts here in Northern Europe. Do most hobbyists not like them? Are they just for the 20mg disposable crowd? Can it because of the lack of throat hit? Is the effect of the nicotine not to your liking? Is it the lack of research? Is it just my imagination?

My preference is mtl vaping on tc, and my daily eliquid is almost always a 6mg short-fill half/half nic salts and freebase. I would probably use 100% salts if I could find 48mg of 100mg nic salt solutions. Then again, throat hit isn’t that important to me…

i don’t like it. tastes funny, liquid doesn’t steep right, lack of throat hit, wears off quicker, plays havoc with my lungs and throat. nasty stuff imo.

Are Nic Sats an alternative you use regularly? I’ve been noticing that there are fewer retailers offering nic shots with nic salts here in Northern Europe. Do most hobbyists not like them? Are they just for the 20mg disposable crowd? Can it because of the lack of throat hit? Is the effect of the nicotine not to your liking? Is it the lack of research? Is it just my imagination?

My preference is mtl vaping on tc, and my daily eliquid is almost always a 6mg short-fill half/half nic salts and freebase. I would probably use 100% salts if I could find 48mg of 100mg nic salt solutions. Then again, throat hit isn’t that important to me…
I use nic salt exclusively, I`m a lifelong angler and a few years ago I noticed that at the end of an outing my juice had coloured up and my vape tasted bitter or peppery using freebase nic, then I read somewhere that commercial producers store freebase nic in lightproof containers because UV can alter the nature of the freebase but that nic salts are either not affected or not affected as much.

As soon as I could get hold of some I left a 10ml bottle of each nic salt and freebase mixed at 12mg, which was my preferred strength back then, on a window sill for 3 days, after which the freebase was noticably discouloured but the salt not at all, a fingertip taste test told me that the freebase tasted bitter but the salt had not changed at all. I know that taste is subjective but I was able to convince myself that nic salt was the way to go for me.

Interesting… I’ve never experienced a difference in taste, but I have heard that it gives some a sore throat. I know that it enters the blood stream quicker, but does it wear off quicker? Maybe so. When it comes to steeping, I’ve never tried other than short-fills, but it wouldn’t surprise me as it’s not as reactive as freebase.

I remember reading somewhere that there are 2 different kinds of salts. But I never see them differentiated when buying, so I really have no idea what the difference in effect is.

The salts are separated from nicotine using acid(s), about 3 different ones iirc, I think that the taste difference that some report is down to whichever acid is used in the abstraction process. I`ve never noticed a difference in taste or had an adverse reaction.

Makes me cough

also i predominantly like tobacco flavours - and a tbroat hit is part of the experience …. Also also i like a throat hit in whatever flavour.

Also also also - complex flavours do not steep well in salts - hence why tobaccos and complex desserts are less visible in salts and its all fruits and ice menthol

neither of which are my bag.

Makes me cough

also i predominantly like tobacco flavours - and a tbroat hit is part of the experience …. Also also i like a throat hit in whatever flavour.

Also also also - complex flavours do not steep well in salts - hence why tobaccos and complex desserts are less visible in salts and its all fruits and ice menthol

neither of which are my bag.

I love tobacco flavors, usually enjoy a Black Note Burley every morning with my espresso. A little throat “tickle” is nice, hence my 50/50 salts to freebase. Top quality NET liquids are almost impossible to find here in Norway, and they cost a fortune to import. Would love to try all the Manabush, Drakes, etc. available in the UK!

Again, I am a bit baffled by the steeping problem. I do understand that salts are less reactive, and this would effect manufacturing and maybe larger scale diy, but will it effect my short-fills? I have tried straight freebase many times, and I don’t seem to notice any difference in flavor with the half salts…including several dessert liquids. But maybe I’m just taste-bud impaired? Or haven’t really done an adequate comparison? Think I’ll mix up some 10ml batches of tobacco and dessert liquid with 100% salts and 100% freebase and do a taste test!

I love tobacco flavors, usually enjoy a Black Note Burley every morning with my espresso. A little throat “tickle” is nice, hence my 50/50 salts to freebase. Top quality NET liquids are almost impossible to find here in Norway, and they cost a fortune to import. Would love to try all the Manabush, Drakes, etc. available in the UK!

Again, I am a bit baffled by the steeping problem. I do understand that salts are less reactive, and this would effect manufacturing and maybe larger scale diy, but will it effect my short-fills? I have tried straight freebase many times, and I don’t seem to notice any difference in flavor with the half salts…including several dessert liquids. But maybe I’m just taste-bud impaired? Or haven’t really done an adequate comparison? Think I’ll mix up some 10ml batches of tobacco and dessert liquid with 100% salts and 100% freebase and do a taste test!
Half salts a huge improvement on salts / and in my experience do steep due to the freebase - thats probably why

i did an experiment once with two bottles mixed with cap v1 custard, a notorious steeper of a concentrate. after a few weeks the difference was abundantly clear and the salt bottle tasted like it did the day it was mixed and hadn’t changed colour. there is a thread here somewhere but it was a long while ago. there was a fair bit of discussion about this stuff when salt first became a thing.

as @ZT says though your freebase in the half and half will be helping.

Ok this maybe a silly question but if I want to make a half and half salts/freebase, where i would add 10ml to a 60ml bottle, should I add 5ml of each to achieve that?

Back
Top Bottom