a colleague and I were talking about this the other day

"pay rise"

"uh hu I've heard 1%"

"Everyone is talking about this virus like it's over"

"tell the 5 staff off with it that then"

"I know rates are still high "

"1% though"

"yep 1%"

even though we all had the jab 5 staff come down with the virus all 5 had positive PCR test the strain of covering these shifts was terrible and then we had the bombshell our manager of 15 years quit we are devastated she couldn't take it anymore after 12 months of hell, death, illness bin bags for PPE, at times staff crying on the phone losing friends and loved ones the funerals of no people ("all just very quiet affairs")

how do I feel over the 1%....... dunno NHS pay scales are graded to what your job role is but 1%

do I want a big chunk of money, no .....I want to leave to escape it I've had enough my dream of making mods is still there and I do but the mod making market is flat so orders are scarce

1% I'm not a hero many members on here worked through the pandemic many do jobs that kept the world going they deserve a pay rise

have we beaten this virus will life be back to normal in July I see hope but the world of nursing has changed forever

I know public money is tight, but it does feel like 1% is taking the piss.

I know public money is tight, but it does feel like 1% is taking the piss.

it is @rew the economy is on its arse I've always said I do this job because I want to, we didn't need a clap on a Thursday night that was just horrible we got paid to do it. we didn't get paid to die though but nor does a supermarket check out person, or a delivery driver, a postman, a fireman etc

Is there a figure for how much a decent pay rise of say 5% would cost, is 5% a decent pay rise?

so say ten grand 5% is £500

£500 to someone on the minimum wage is a large amount of money £500 to someone on 30k a year not so much but it would be pro-rata

as a quick google rate have a look

https://www.maydayhealthcareplc.co.uk/nurse-pay-rates-by-sectors/hca-health-care-assistant/s47018/

so the bottom line is £8 for an HCA remember the HCA did the tasks that an RGN or SCN does not and at times was a greater risk with lower PPE as they are an HCA but there are many areas of the NHS so CA or a porter is at a different rate then on top you have charities and private care so Domiciliary care that's attached to the NHS but still under CQC is not classed as a fully NHS they are a private contract the rates of pay are based on NHS rates they won't get a pay rise till next year if the base rate is increased but they also suffered and staff died due to covid

It's shit.... and the fact supermarket staff (and others) are still earning minimum wage, but had to work continuously through everything, while others sat at home on furlough on 80% of a very good wage is going to feel like a shit deal for a lot of people. Nurses will never be paid enough in my eyes, they do an important job I couldn't do.

Everything is relative.. there was a time when families with modest incomes could afford to buy a home. It's all a bit of a mess really.

It's shit.... and the fact supermarket staff (and others) are still earning minimum wage, but had to work continuously through everything, while others sat at home on furlough on 80% of a very good wage is going to feel like a shit deal for a lot of people. Nurses will never be paid enough in my eyes, they do an important job I couldn't do.

Everything is relative.. there was a time when families with modest incomes could afford to buy a home. It's all a bit of a mess really.

I agree liz said quit get a job at Tesco’s or something else but at work I have the kit the LFT tests are there the PCR tests both of which I do daily plus all the PPE the safeguards are all in place yes danger is there but only from admission and that your prepared for in the supermarket not a chance a plastic screen and a crap cloth face mask does the barest minimum plus the training is so up and down.

We have the facilities to see the reports the dangers the training which others do not.

Everything is relative.. there was a time when families with modest incomes could afford to buy a home.
I don't wish to derail this thread but many cant afford to rent, either, at least, not in the private sector. When my first wife and I bought a house in 1987, it cost £41750. We had to fiddle the books a bit (used a mortgage broker), we weren't earning that much and also had 2 children under 3 years old. Mind boggling these days, despite making me a bit of an old fart, I'm glad I was born when I was.

Edit; £41,750 was deemed by some, to be quite expensive back then, current price is in the range of £277,000 - £303,000 :hmm:

Last edited:
Is it one of those U-turn thingies where you'll eventually get 1.5% and free refurbishment of your break rooms?

I don't wish to derail this thread but many cant afford to rent, either, at least, not in the private sector. When my first wife and I bought a house in 1987, it cost £41750. We had to fiddle the books a bit (used a mortgage broker), we weren't earning that much and also had 2 children under 3 years old. Mind boggling these days, despite making me a bit of an old fart, I'm glad I was born when I was.

Edit; £41,750 was deemed by some, to be quite expensive back then, current price is in the range of £277,000 - £303,000 :hmm:

Your not derailing the thread I agree whole heartedly with what you say I rent I’m not ashamed it seems renters are seen as scum “everyone should buy a house” but at 250k for a 2 bed house in the country it’s just a dream now for us

Back
Top Bottom