What's new

Orian 2 rba avalible now

Interesting 🤔

Everything you say makes sense, but annoyingly it doesn't reflect my experience. The rba is a little bit wobbly, and I initially thought it was breaking the connection somehow and doing some kind of "smart" wattage selection on reconnect. But it doesn't * seem * related to the jumping. I.e. I wobble it like a mo fo and there is no change (it is set to 10w and stays there). Then randomly, an hour later, no wobble of note, it jumps to 24w or something.

I also wondered if it was resistance related, or it was doing some kind of ohm re-read f it had not been used for a while. But time since last draw doesn't correlate with the jumping either.

It's consistent between builds, so I don't think it's not a dodgy coil grip. It would be interesting to try with another rba unit, but my gut feeling is that it will behave the same, and I can't afford to shell out another 30 quid to test it 😲

From what little I know - and it is little - I am thinking that it is indirectly related to the wire - i.e. the chipset mght be trying to do something clever based on resistance, designed with stock coils in mind, not rba usage.

ETA: Thinking about it, it is held in with a mech clip, not with magnets.

No magnets on this mod like mhl has said. its a mech clip on one side and when take the pod off there is three prongs guess there spring loaded that make connection with the rba underneath

Has anyone grabbed one? If so, what's the verdict?
I have one, you get 2 tanks plus 3 air pins plus a narrow and a wide bore drip . The vape with a 2mm pin and narrow bore drip tip is very similar to a KFL. I get good flavour and really like it. The only downside is that I seem to get a lot of leaks if I lie it on its side. Hence finding myself on this forum posting for the first time in a while! It may just be a need to refine my build a bit more, - so not giving up just yet.

I have one, you get 2 tanks plus 3 air pins plus a narrow and a wide bore drip . The vape with a 2mm pin and narrow bore drip tip is very similar to a KFL. I get good flavour and really like it. The only downside is that I seem to get a lot of leaks if I lie it on its side. Hence finding myself on this forum posting for the first time in a while! It may just be a need to refine my build a bit more, - so not giving up just yet.

Not had any leaks yet but I mainly keep my up on its side but sometimes on its side when iam in bed could be just abit more cotton is needed

Interesting 🤔

Everything you say makes sense, but annoyingly it doesn't reflect my experience. The rba is a little bit wobbly, and I initially thought it was breaking the connection somehow and doing some kind of "smart" wattage selection on reconnect. But it doesn't * seem * related to the jumping. I.e. I wobble it like a mo fo and there is no change (it is set to 10w and stays there). Then randomly, an hour later, no wobble of note, it jumps to 24w or something.

I also wondered if it was resistance related, or it was doing some kind of ohm re-read f it had not been used for a while. But time since last draw doesn't correlate with the jumping either.

It's consistent between builds, so I don't think it's not a dodgy coil grip. It would be interesting to try with another rba unit, but my gut feeling is that it will behave the same, and I can't afford to shell out another 30 quid to test it 😲

From what little I know - and it is little - I am thinking that it is indirectly related to the wire - i.e. the chipset mght be trying to do something clever based on resistance, designed with stock coils in mind, not rba usage.

ETA: Thinking about it, it is held in with a mech clip, not with magnets.
If it's firmly clipped in then my magnet theory is obviously bollocks lol, but it still sounds like a connection issue - but if the mod has a 'Smart' mode that can't be switched off then you could be screwed with SS wire as the resistance is probably half that of a typical Kanthal MTL stock coil.

If it behaves itself with a similar sized Kanthal coil with much higher resistance but constantly throws a wobbly with SS then a 'Smart' wattage selection does sound like it could be the reason for the issue.

If it still plays up with a higher resistance Kanthal coil then the only thing I can think it can be other than a pain in the arse Smart mode is a dodgy connection. In the past I've had a dodgy Goon clone that I got in a job lot of second hand gear from e-Bay that was a complete bastard for not being able to give a steady resistance - almost cremating my tonsils on a few occasions. After the usual clean, check grubscrews and 510 pin were tight it still kept playing up. It turned out to be the negative post was held in with a Phillips screw, and although it was tight when I removed it and pulled the negative out from the deck the base of the negative pin and the insert cut out in the deck were full of gunge - when I cleaned and re-assembled it it sorted the problem. It's a long shot but if the negative side of the RBA isn't one solid part and is held together by a screw it's worth separating and cleaning just in case they assembled it and then cleaned away the swarf and lubricants afterwards leaving a load of gunge trapped inside.

Nice to see you @Gonloopy.

I lay mine down on it's side all the time and upside down in pocket, etc. I've not had any leaks yet. I use BP mods cotton lace (2.5mm), it's pretty tight inside the coil, so I reckon more cotton is the key, as @stuartd says.

If it's firmly clipped in then my magnet theory is obviously bollocks lol, but it still sounds like a connection issue - but if the mod has a 'Smart' mode that can't be switched off then you could be screwed with SS wire as the resistance is probably half that of a typical Kanthal MTL stock coil.

If it behaves itself with a similar sized Kanthal coil with much higher resistance but constantly throws a wobbly with SS then a 'Smart' wattage selection does sound like it could be the reason for the issue.

If it still plays up with a higher resistance Kanthal coil then the only thing I can think it can be other than a pain in the arse Smart mode is a dodgy connection. In the past I've had a dodgy Goon clone that I got in a job lot of second hand gear from e-Bay that was a complete bastard for not being able to give a steady resistance - almost cremating my tonsils on a few occasions. After the usual clean, check grubscrews and 510 pin were tight it still kept playing up. It turned out to be the negative post was held in with a Phillips screw, and although it was tight when I removed it and pulled the negative out from the deck the base of the negative pin and the insert cut out in the deck were full of gunge - when I cleaned and re-assembled it it sorted the problem. It's a long shot but if the negative side of the RBA isn't one solid part and is held together by a screw it's worth separating and cleaning just in case they assembled it and then cleaned away the swarf and lubricants afterwards leaving a load of gunge trapped inside.

I think it must have some smart blx going on... my memory is shite, and I could be wrong... but I seem to remember some difference in initial wattage when using 0.8 and the 1.2 stock coil.

I got two off of @stealthvape withbthe workarounds

Think they are great

Turned it into a mini aio

Even though the device is pretty dodgy in that regard ^^ and it requires that silly hack because it doesn't have a 1mm airflow pin... I still love it. The rba is genuinely a great vape with the SV tubing, and the aesthetics of it are perfect to my eyes. Where the stock coil pods are slightly frosted, the rba pod is totally clear (still tinted, but no frosting) and it looks mint with the walnut panels. Every time I pick it up, I'm like "ooh that looks nice". It's pathetic really.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I too suspect it’s my build and will try more cotton. I don’t have a hint of a leak when using the stock coils. I’ll keep fiddling as it were.

Back
Top Bottom