What's new

Pico - genuine vs fake...

• Thread starter Deleted member 58360
  • Start date
Some of the autopsy is no longer pending ;)

Firstly, a quick word on metallurgy.

The cheapest metal you can get is lovingly referred to as "monkey metal" or sometimes "pot metal", depending on who you're talking to.

Basically, all the unidentified random scrap is stuck in a pot, and everything that melts at a lower temperature than iron is mixed together in whatever ratio happens to be present and used for cheap castings.

Anything can be in there - lead, antimony, tin, aluminium, zinc - whatever. It's light, bubbly and not very resilient. If you try to bend it, it sometimes bends a little but then just snaps and has an aero bar appearance - a bit like cast alu, but feels 'powdery' for want of a better term.

This is what I believe the tank is made from.

So, this tank.

IMG_20191024_221232498~2.jpg

It's horrible.

Drip tip

IMG_20191024_221248352~2.jpg

It's a work of art.

The plastic is poor quality, as is the metal cap.

IMG_20191024_221325394~2.jpg

The o-ring is too small, the glass wobbles on it so there's no seal.

The coil.

IMG_20191024_221959057~2.jpg

Again, feels like the same metal.

IMG_20191024_221640921~2.jpg

Oops ;)

IMG_20191024_221710067~2.jpg

Not sure what that wicking material is, but it's not cotton.

And the tank body, the bit that sits in your juice.

Eleaf state their tank is made of 304 stainless. 300 series is non magnetic (as is this tank), but the thing with 300 is that it becomes magnetic if cold worked - cut, bent, pressed, spun...

IMG_20191024_221827050~2.jpg

Still not magnetic.

If that's 304 I'm a gibbon.

Won't work again, which is the best thing imo - unless you want your juice leeching lord knows what elements out of that metal.

I don't have access to the chemicals I once did, so I can't narrow down what's in it unfortunately - but I'm going to go out on a limb and say "some stuff that's not great".

If you happen to get one of these, it can be sort of identified by being suspiciously lightweight and the wrong type of shiny for stainless - look at cutlery for example, or another tank, or a saucepan. It's more chrome like. Bad chrome.

My recommendation would be to not use the tank or the coils (0.34 ohms with that many wraps and a hint of magnetism? I don't know what metal that is). Maybe use them for target practice, or getting used to a new hammer - but don't inhale anything hot through it...

Some of the autopsy is no longer pending ;)

Firstly, a quick word on metallurgy.

The cheapest metal you can get is lovingly referred to as "monkey metal" or sometimes "pot metal", depending on who you're talking to.

Basically, all the unidentified random scrap is stuck in a pot, and everything that melts at a lower temperature than iron is mixed together in whatever ratio happens to be present and used for cheap castings.

Anything can be in there - lead, antimony, tin, aluminium, zinc - whatever. It's light, bubbly and not very resilient. If you try to bend it, it sometimes bends a little but then just snaps and has an aero bar appearance - a bit like cast alu, but feels 'powdery' for want of a better term.

This is what I believe the tank is made from.

So, this tank.

View attachment 203200

It's horrible.

Drip tip

View attachment 203201

It's a work of art.

The plastic is poor quality, as is the metal cap.

View attachment 203202

The o-ring is too small, the glass wobbles on it so there's no seal.

The coil.

View attachment 203203

Again, feels like the same metal.

View attachment 203204

Oops ;)

View attachment 203205

Not sure what that wicking material is, but it's not cotton.

And the tank body, the bit that sits in your juice.

Eleaf state their tank is made of 304 stainless. 300 series is non magnetic (as is this tank), but the thing with 300 is that it becomes magnetic if cold worked - cut, bent, pressed, spun...

View attachment 203206

Still not magnetic.

If that's 304 I'm a gibbon.

Won't work again, which is the best thing imo - unless you want your juice leeching lord knows what elements out of that metal.

I don't have access to the chemicals I once did, so I can't narrow down what's in it unfortunately - but I'm going to go out on a limb and say "some stuff that's not great".

If you happen to get one of these, it can be sort of identified by being suspiciously lightweight and the wrong type of shiny for stainless - look at cutlery for example, or another tank, or a saucepan. It's more chrome like. Bad chrome.

My recommendation would be to not use the tank or the coils (0.34 ohms with that many wraps and a hint of magnetism? I don't know what metal that is). Maybe use them for target practice, or getting used to a new hammer - but don't inhale anything hot through it...
I'm sure a lot of people including me will appreciate this 'autopsy'. Awesome work

Will the seller not then resell the fake item to another unsuspecting buyer and the cycle continues....and more folks getting shafted, best to destroy the fake item n be done with it, saving folks from more grief from dodgy dealers.

Valid point but it is possible the seller didn't know, which makes it unfair on both the buyer and seller. Ebay do take offence at fake goods so would probably ban the seller after a couple of warnings. Its just one of them ain't it, buggered either way really. But if it was me and i had sold something fake without knowing i would still want the goods back to either return to the person supplying the fakes to me or to prevent it being sold on. It's daft talking about this when so many of us members use fasttech etc and buy clones. The seller could well just remove the goods from the box and sell it as used with no box and in truth very few would question whether it was genuine.

Valid point but it is possible the seller didn't know, which makes it unfair on both the buyer and seller. Ebay do take offence at fake goods so would probably ban the seller after a couple of warnings. Its just one of them ain't it, buggered either way really. But if it was me and i had sold something fake without knowing i would still want the goods back to either return to the person supplying the fakes to me or to prevent it being sold on. It's daft talking about this when so many of us members use fasttech etc and buy clones. The seller could well just remove the goods from the box and sell it as used with no box and in truth very few would question whether it was genuine.

I hear you fella, fair play to you for giving the seller the benefit of doubt.....very trusting of you, keep the faith buddy

I hear you fella, fair play to you for giving the seller the benefit of doubt.....very trusting of you, keep the faith buddy

You have to at times otherwise none of us would want to buy anything for fear it will go tits up. am i to trusting or to honest for my own good at times maybe

just as a matter of interest how do you spot a fake?

Buy from a reputable seller and you won’t have to worry about spotting fake products :)

leni next time I will. I got my gen mod off ebay and touch wood no problems up to now. but yes next time I won't buy off ebay.

I agree with Leni, it's not ebay that's the problem, it's just a selling platform and there's nothing wrong with ebay and there's many great sellers on there ..... Fogstar sell on ebay for example. Just check the sellers business details and feedback.

agree but as you said yourself ebay usually ask you to return it so out of honesty i would return it. I get a refund the seller deserves their goods back, it's simple courtesy and it can go a long way. each to their own choice i believe

Disagree there mate , ebay is awash with fakes in all categories it's not a question of honesty on the buyers part , if it states it's a clone then you know what you are buying and you take your chance . If you are buying what states to be genuine then no I don't think the seller deserves the goods back and you should not be out of pocket or have to spend your time sending the item back . They have defrauded you so fuck them.
At the end of the day though buyer beware , if something sounds to good to be true it usually is.

Disagree there mate , ebay is awash with fakes in all categories it's not a question of honesty on the buyers part , if it states it's a clone then you know what you are buying and you take your chance . If you are buying what states to be genuine then no I don't think the seller deserves the goods back and you should not be out of pocket or have to spend your time sending the item back . They have defrauded you so fuck them.
At the end of the day though buyer beware , if something sounds to good to be true it usually is.

as said each to their own my good man. It's not only ebay that has this clone/fake thing happening, Facebook, gumtree etc. \it's simply one of them where you . But once refunded you have not been defrauded you have lost nothing. surely somewhere along your vape journey you have purchased a clone of something from fasttech, knowingly of course , @BigBadBubbage may we ask how much you payed please.

I paid £12 for a white pico on ebay I will check the scratch n sniff when i get back to the UK, but i am certain it's genuine as a few others purchased one and i didn't hear anyone complain. The only catch was the boxes where not sealed as the goods where ex display items. But even £17.69 sounds a reasonable price for a genuine kit due to how long they have been available.
The thing i dislike on ebay is the sellers who pray on new vapers knowing they are not yet clued up, plus the flipping that goes on, buying loads of reduced mods from Chinese vendors to sell on a a huge profit

Back
Top Bottom