What's new

Polishing Stabwood - Best Method?

Cheers! Never heard of Renaissance, have to pick some up and give it a try. I assume it won’t damage the resin ;)

Thanks for the link @John R :2thumbsup:

It's v good stuff, you can use it on many surfaces. Apply a light coat, buff after a few mins and apply another coat, it gives a sheen rather than a glossy finish and lasts ages.

T Cut for Car Paint ?. Would be far too harsh for wood and would probably ruin it, Myself i tend to just use Bees Wax which brings it up nicely plus it's not over expensive.
The wood is impregnated with resin - It’s the resin that is being polished. T-Cut would be fine to remove any “bloom” caused by minor surface scratches. Beeswax is a great product for polishing up most things, but in the case of stabwood, it will be a surface product - it won’t get into the wood. Could well bring it up nice though.

Another I’ve never heard of :22: Would you use the original? And I see it comes in wax and spray…any idea which is best?
I’ve not bought any T-Cut for ages. The stuff I use is in a liquid form in a can that requires a good shake to mix it up well.
It smells a bit like it contain a petroleum. Wouldn’t surprise me if the original formula has been banned by the EU and something less effective is now on the market - a bit like what they did to paint stripper that now spectacularly fails to strip paint :(

Only ever been cleaned with Renaissance, that's what the mod maker told me to use...

IMG_3766.jpeg

I’m not confused at all :18:

Seriously though, @John R Phillips , I appreciate you confirming my understanding of the process; it’s the resin being polished ;) I may pick up some t-cut on amazon and give it a try, but I’m sure there’s also similar products here :)

And I actually found a vendor here that can order renaissance, so that’s already paid for :2thumbsup: I can always use it on other things around the house, as well :D Cheers @John R

I'll tell you something tho, having experience of T-Cut previously, there's no chance I'd be putting it on a mod.

I'll tell you something tho, having experience of T-Cut previously, there's no chance I'd be putting it on a mod.
Is it the (likely) petroleum additive in the original that concerns/concerned you or the fact you think it may be too abrasive?

T-Cut is good stuff for doing what it is made for which is restoring paintwork on cars and the like

I have a couple of concerns, staining and excessive abrasion.

Back
Top Bottom