What's new

PPE and VAT

Yeah, it's disgusting. They were most likely purchased wholesale too and cost them less than a quid a mask. Not cool. :28:

There's a similar shop near here but it's really small. They do sell all the toiletries tho, big named brands too. After seeing those it's hard not to shake your head when you walk around a supermarket looking at their prices for exactly the same items. Should be more budget shops around.

Dead Sea salts are great. :2thumbsup:

jeez, that's terrible. :12:

It's a cool shop, I got some great stuff in there today. Cussons 'Drumstick' shower and bath gel (£1) Colgate coconut and ginger toothpaste (£1) .. some dead sea bath salts with coconut and hemp (£2.99) ... and a 12 pack of Wheat Crunchies (1.99) :D

EDIT: oh, and some more Vitamin D, which is actually what I went in there for in the first place.

Galashiels in the Scottish Borders has a branch 80p (I think) for a 70vg 30pg nic shot.
Also good for veggie sausages and fire lighters.

@zouzounaki can't you just be happy about something for once? :D

It's not even about the money 5% isn't much, it's the principle... a principle that the EU leaders should hold too.

Almost half of the 28 EU member states continue to apply the standard VAT rate to sanitary towels and tampons, in a bracket applied to items such as jewellery, wine, beer and cigarettes. In 10 of these countries, this rate is over 20%: Hungary, at 27%, Croatia, Switzerland and Denmark, at 25%.

Spain, Greece and Austria, with a tax of 10% or greater on sanitary products. Also in this group are France, with a 5.5% tax, the UK, with 5%, and Ireland with 0%. This country constitutes an exception: Ireland’s tampon tax rate was applied before implementation of the Europe-wide legislation for the reduction and exemptions of VAT, hence the 5% minimum is not applicable there.

I could grizzle that you mentioning Ireland is an attempt to misrepresent the situation, as they are the ONLY country that had a lower rate than the UK (for the specific reasons/exceptions already outlined) ... all the others are the same or higher (most much higher)

https://www.europeandatajournalism....owels-and-tampons-as-on-tobacco-beer-and-wine

Scroll down a bit at look at that table.

Don't you think the EU should do something about this? Why are they allowing countries to charge 25%+ but stopping countries from charging zero?

... it's immoral.

should the eu force it’s member states not to charge any tax on women’s sanitary products? maybe. should the companies that manufacture sanitary products be forced to sell them at no profit? maybe.

my point was that we aren’t some sort of moral crusaders because the government scrapped the vat on sannie pads as some kind of triumphant reclaiming of sovereignty. i think it’s probably fair to say that they don’t give a fuck about it and that it’s a cynical move. they don’t have any problems with letting people live below the poverty line of or rely of food banks, for example.

i think it’s worth mentioning that we pay the full vat on bog roll. is that equally immoral?

should the eu force it’s member states not to charge any tax on women’s sanitary products? maybe. should the companies that manufacture sanitary products be forced to sell them at no profit? maybe.

my point was that we aren’t some sort of moral crusaders because the government scrapped the vat on sannie pads as some kind of triumphant reclaiming of sovereignty. i think it’s probably fair to say that they don’t give a fuck about it and that it’s a cynical move. they don’t have any problems with letting people live below the poverty line of or rely of food banks, for example.

I understand... I'm looking at it more as a victory for the many groups and organizations that have campaigned for this for years/decades. To me it shows that with enough pressure people can make change. The government HAD to do this really. The EU clearly felt it didn't/doesn't have to.

i think it’s worth mentioning that we pay the full vat on bog roll. is that equally immoral?

It is immoral, I don't think there should be any VAT on anything that isn't a 'true' luxury product. I don't think we should pay VAT on basic clothing either.

There's a similar shop near here but it's really small. They do sell all the toiletries tho, big named brands too. After seeing those it's hard not to shake your head when you walk around a supermarket looking at their prices for exactly the same items. Should be more budget shops around.

Dead Sea salts are great. :2thumbsup:

Our Home Bargains is pretty big, it's on an old Argos site... good for all sorts of stuff. They even have a fresh bakery section, pet foods... it's like a little supermarket I guess. A bit like Lidi crossed with Poundland :D

they have a ton of dead sea stuff at the moment too, it's all £2-£3

I understand... I'm looking at it more as a victory for the many groups and organizations that have campaigned for this for years/decades. To me it shows that with enough pressure people can make change. The government HAD to do this really. The EU clearly felt it didn't/doesn't have to.

It is immoral, I don't think there should be any VAT on anything that isn't a 'true' luxury product. I don't think we should pay VAT on basic clothing either.

i believe that since they bumped it down to the reduced rate, the revenue raised was donated to domestic violence charities and suchlike. the scottish government have been bumpin their guns for years about making them free but it’s never happened yet.

i dunno, i think children being able to eat is more important than tax free sannie pads. it’s these things based on some kind of principle that are fairly irrelevant background imo but that people get worked up about that obscure actual serious stuff. how much are sannie pads, a couple of pounds? so now women save 10p a month or something.

we have home bargains here as well. i went in one time looking for a cat scratcher. i might have bought some tea bags and a tub of vanish.

i believe that since they bumped it down to the reduced rate, the revenue raised was donated to domestic violence charities and suchlike. the scottish government have been bumpin their guns for years about making them free but it’s never happened yet.

i dunno, i think children being able to eat is more important than tax free sannie pads. it’s these things based on some kind of principle that are fairly irrelevant background imo but that people get worked up about that obscure actual serious stuff. how much are sannie pads, a couple of pounds? so now women save 10p a month or something.

Agreed, it's not about the money, it's just the principle of it and I know many women that just find it a bit galling. If it makes them a little happier next time they have to slog around tesco with a mask on, then it's a good thing. :)

we have home bargains here as well. i went in one time looking for a cat scratcher. i might have bought some tea bags and a tub of vanish.

It's seriously bad for that. :D

... the other half only picked up a basket, about half way around the basket was full and I had stuff piled up on my arms. :D

Back
Top Bottom