What's new

PPE and VAT

brynglas

Postman
In these times shouldn't VAT charged on PPE be dropped?
Or am i very wrong thinking this.

Agree. Not wrong.

But I think they only recently scrapped VAT on women's sanitary products so don't hold your breath.

Last edited:
It was, now it isn't.
It's probably number 193 on Boris's list...

Agree. Not wrong.

But I think they only recently scrapped VAT on women's sanitary products so don't hold your breath.

We couldn't while we were in the EU, I'm glad to see this is happening now though. It was a disgraceful situation.

In these times shouldn't VAT charged on PPE be dropped?
Or am i very wrong thinking this.

Nope you aren't wrong, it was 'Temporarily suspended' for 6 months last year, but when it was clear that we'd be in this situation for much longer they should have extended it.

We couldn't while we were in the EU, I'm glad to see this is happening now though. It was a disgraceful situation.
Damnit, Si!

And there I was just starting to miss the EU. :55: :lol1:

Yep, pretty unbelievable. :28:

this is something that had been terribly skewed. ireland, for example, don’t charge vat on women’s sanitary products. this is because they exempted them when vat was introduced i. the 1970s. the uk could have done so but chose not to.

the uk charged vat on women’s sanitary products at the full rate from the introduction of vat until 2000, when it decided to charge the reduced rate (5%).

the idea that the eu imposed a women’s sanitary product tax on us is a bit misleading.

this is something that had been terribly skewed. ireland, for example, don’t charge vat on women’s sanitary products. this is because they exempted them when vat was introduced i. the 1970s. the uk could have done so but chose not to.

the uk charged vat on women’s sanitary products at the full rate from the introduction of vat until 2000, when it decided to charge the reduced rate (5%).

the idea that the eu imposed a women’s sanitary product tax on us is a bit misleading.

I didn't say they imposed it, stop putting words in my mouth.

I said it wasn't possible to reduce it to zero rate while we were in the EU. Unless you know differently?

I didn't say they imposed it, stop putting words in my mouth.

I said it wasn't possible to reduce it to zero rate while we were in the EU. Unless you know differently?

it wasn’t, but that was because we decided not to when vat was introduced. we then spent a further 20 odd years charging the full rate of vat on it until pressure forced the gov to charge the reduced rate. what i am talking about is how this story was skewed, not by you, obviously. :)

Back
Top Bottom