What's new

Prince Charles

Really? That's a big arse area for very little!

Wouldn't like to be at North Skye and a ventilator was in Inverness... I've done that drive, it's along way!

Stay safe.

Thank you. You too.

It is a big arse area and all it takes is a bit of bad weather, a car crash or a lorry breakdown and you're cut off. We've looked at funding our own ventilators but you need the staff and the facilities to run it and we have neither.

A few minutes before posting this I'd been reading about the Nightingale Hospital and how praise was being given to 200 soldiers for their tireless work to get the project up and running.
I'd taken offence that the article i was reading failed to mention any of the other people that rallied together to make this happen.

I then went on to watch the video by HRH and completely and totally absorbed myself in the negatives in the clip.
I shouldn't have posted my negativity and my apologies to @Mitz and anyone else because of how I've taken this and posted in the wrong way.

Thread title changed and lets hope the message due to be aired by Regina on Sunday goes a little further to help me be a little more optimistic and a little less pessimistic.
No worries mate. It's very easy to get engulfed by all the negativity around at the moment so I get it. And I appreciate your post. As hard as it can be at times it's important that we all try and focus on the good things happening. Otherwise we'll all go insane. :friends:

Last edited:
Thank you. You too.

It is a big arse area and all it takes is a bit of bad weather, a car crash or a lorry breakdown and you're cut off. We've looked at funding our own ventilators but you need the staff and the facilities to run it and we have neither.

Thank you :)

Highlands are one of the most beautiful areas in the world... But to be fair, the transport infrastructure is almost none existent! Though if they planned to drive the equivalent of the M1 through the Highlands, I'll be the first to lay in front of the diggers.

I can imagine it must be a worry for you lot up there, miles from the nearest hospitals and a lack of easily accessible equipment. As you say, one relitavely minor accident on a main road and entire area stops.

I was meant to be heading up to Errogie near Loch Ness in 13 days, obviously not happening now unfortunately but last thing you need is us southern city lot coming up and potentially spreading this disease.

So if I mentioned that 2 of those ventilators are in a hospital 25 miles from here with a population of 30000 in the county. There goes your argument @pdg. The rest of those ventilators are scattered over an area that covers 12% of the UKs land mass so yes, if we didn't get a ventilator at the local hospital then we would be moved to the nearest hospital which is 110 miles away but we had snow yesterday. Lots of snow which would have made that travel near impossible.

Seems a bit futile to reply to this, given the "la la la I can't hear you" situation, but hey...

There's this thing called regional variation.

There are many many places in the UK where there are less than 1:15,000. There are places where that ratio is much much lower.

Basically what you're doing here is moving the goalposts in an effort to get to a position where you can say you have proof that I'm wrong. You think you've got there now, and stuck your fingers in your ears.

upload_2020-4-4_12-6-37.jpeg

My son in law lives in Burnley, he says there are not many cases, in fact he doesn't talk about CV much at all, only money and property (he's like that).

Anyway - where I live, the figures for East Sussex are:

In the Local Authority of East Sussex, there are a total of 129 confirmed cases.

Will include Brighton as well, because geographically it's in East Sussex:

In the Local Authority of Brighton and Hove, there are a total of 71 confirmed cases.

The figures for Lancashire are:

In the Local Authority of Lancashire, there are a total of 536 confirmed cases.

Very odd, because as I understand it there are more deaths in the South East, than Lancs. We have 10 deaths in total at Eastbourne DGH, Bexhill Hospital and The Conquest Hospital in Hastings. The Conquest Hospital has two wards apparently "packed full" of people who are told when admitted to "make their phone calls", Bexhill Hospital is a small hospital, which almost exclusively caters for and to old folks (no surprise there). I think the UK official stats are absolutely untrustworthy and erroneous, nothing adds up or makes sense.
Thare is likely to be far higher death tolls from coastal and remote spots due to the incredibly large number of nursing and retirement homes traditionally situated in picturesque locations. The rub of these places is that they're often without large hospitals close by as end of life care is fairly palliative.
I did hear a bit of "the South will bring it up" talk at the start, but it's shown that international business or work travellers and families with excess money to be able to travel are fairly evenly distributed these days. Obviously the cities are hardest hit but again the ratio seems even between the likes of Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and London.
sadly it was here before we knew, something that seems to have gotten America in a froth but in reality it could have cropped up in any of dozens of countries and gone un noticed for an awful lot longer.
Fingers crossed for a better day for all concerned today.

Last edited:
Anyway, I have put my very first person on ignore. Funny that, I would have put money on it being @zouzounaki or @Badboybez after months of the brexit thread/snp stuff :D

I am quite shocked, and stunned imagining that you would ever have considered putting me on your ignore list. :17:

I mean @zouzounaki I could understand if you put him on your list, because he is such an argumentative little bugger, with no sense of humour at all. :18:

But I'm glad you didn't, if you have to put one of us on ignore, you would have to put both of us on ignore, we sort of go together, like horse & carriage, strawberries & cream, Oh, and what was that film, Dummer & Dummer. You could not possibly split us up, it would be like breaking up a marriage :17:

The problem you have with myself though is that you have a fatal attraction for me, you can't bear to miss one of my posts. :)
A sort of love, hate relationship, that you can't do without, I bet your finger has hovered on the ignore button now, and again, but then you have thought, "what if this upsets him, would I ever hear from him again" :17: Would his next post be serious ? would it be humorous ? would he end up in an argument ? I can't ignore him, I would never find out what his next post would be. :doh:

Back
Top Bottom