What's new

self reporting app

zouzounaki

Olympian
Anybody with an iphone or android phone, please consider installing this covid-19 self reporting app, even if you have no symptoms. It’s helping research and monitoring the progress of this.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

I was tempted to build something similar last week but figured it would be in the pipeline!

I don’t get it.

Self-reporting of self-diagnosed ailments, or their lack of, is pisspoor science. It doesn’t wash in vape research and it doesn’t wash here.

Testing is what is needed in order to monitor progress through a population. Yet, for some reason, the government is still to issue sufficient kits to NHS Trusts so that staff can be tested - let alone the general public.

Spread trend at a population level can be assumed from presentations in hospitals. I just don’t get what benefit is offered by this app.

I don’t get it.

Self-reporting of self-diagnosed ailments, or their lack of, is pisspoor science. It doesn’t wash in vape research and it doesn’t wash here.

Testing is what is needed in order to monitor progress through a population. Yet, for some reason, the government is still to issue sufficient kits to NHS Trusts so that staff can be tested - let alone the general public.

Spread trend at a population level can be assumed from presentations in hospitals. I just don’t get what benefit is offered by this app.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...-help-researchers-track-spread-of-coronavirus

“The immediate thing is we will get known clusters of disease at different levels of severity all over the country and we will know what is going on,” he said.

“people are reporting non-persistent cough, or feeling unwell or a strange feeling of a lack of taste, or chest tightness that aren’t in the classical list but if we see it across the country in clusters we know they are probably real [symptoms of Covid-19],” said Tim Spector, a professor of genetic epidemiology at King’s College London, who is leading the work.

“Speaking to clinicians in the hospital, especially in the elderly you get very different symptoms to the young so this idea there is only two types of symptoms – fever and long-term cough – is wrong. It can occur in many different ways,” he added

Spector said the app would shed light both on symptoms and the geographical spread of the disease.

“The immediate thing is we will get known clusters of disease at different levels of severity all over the country and we will know what is going on,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...-help-researchers-track-spread-of-coronavirus

“people are reporting non-persistent cough, or feeling unwell or a strange feeling of a lack of taste, or chest tightness that aren’t in the classical list but if we see it across the country in clusters we know they are probably real [symptoms of Covid-19],” said Tim Spector, a professor of genetic epidemiology at King’s College London, who is leading the work.

“Speaking to clinicians in the hospital, especially in the elderly you get very different symptoms to the young so this idea there is only two types of symptoms – fever and long-term cough – is wrong. It can occur in many different ways,” he added

Spector said the app would shed light both on symptoms and the geographical spread of the disease.

My post stands, this app doesn’t provide that information. It provides data on hypochondria and Munchausen's. There’s a wealth of literature on self reporting and the desire to be seen to be helping that renders the data duff.

Aye that is a fair point. Loads of people are experiencing health anxiety and imagining symptoms. However I’m not a scientist, and if the scientists think this is helpful, in the absence of testing; and in the same way the south korean’s self reporting app is, I am happy to spend the minute or so each day filling it in.

Must admit my first reaction was the same as Mawsleys. It's cold and flu season, many people will have a regular cold or flu with similar symptoms ........ what can they really learn from these reports? I was laid off for over 2 weeks end of February, I still have the cough. And no idea what I had. How is telling that to anyone useful to the Covid-19 figures?

Back
Top Bottom