What's new

SX350J Box Mod Idea

I take it you'll just slice off one side?

Should be able to get 2 covers out of one enclosure.

4cdXUJL.png

Should be able to get 2 covers out of one enclosure.

4cdXUJL.png

Providing the case size is adequate for the battery holder the it should work really well, I seem to remember these come in a couple of colours ( I considered making a DNA30 Flask style mod using these) but if you hunt around there may be some more...

Providing the case size is adequate for the battery holder the it should work really well, I seem to remember these come in a couple of colours ( I considered making a DNA30 Flask style mod using these) but if you hunt around there may be some more...

Internal width is 22mm and the batt holder is 21mm so it should be fine. It's almost perfect, wish it was like 2mm wider but it will work.

Just my old model is totally wrong now so I'm working on a new one.

Internal width is 22mm and the batt holder is 21mm so it should be fine. It's almost perfect, wish it was like 2mm wider but it will work.

Just my old model is totally wrong now so I'm working on a new one.

I must say that bending 1mm sheet alu or brass over a bar or into a die would probably be easier once you have the correct bar or die made, the adapted bog roll holder would do the trick with ease. Cut a slot in the flat wall mount bit to slide the metal sheet into so that the sheet runs at 90 degrees and just touches the round roll holder bit the put the whole shebang on a smooth flat surface and keeping pressure on it pivot the whole thing over the roll holder bit and it will smoothly fold the sheet around the curved roll holder, press it all the way over and bingo - a cover made in just seconds...

I must say that bending 1mm sheet alu or brass over a bar or into a die would probably be easier once you have the correct bar or die made, the adapted bog roll holder would do the trick with ease. Cut a slot in the flat wall mount bit to slide the metal sheet into so that the sheet runs at 90 degrees and just touches the round roll holder bit the put the whole shebang on a smooth flat surface and keeping pressure on it pivot the whole thing over the roll holder bit and it will smoothly fold the sheet around the curved roll holder, press it all the way over and bingo - a cover made in just seconds...

Just say they do custom extrusions so I'm going to send them an email and get it them made to my specs.

Sorted out the button today.

Got some 10mm stainless steel earrings, they came super high polished I was thinking they were chromed steel but it was SS to my surprise :) Stuck it in my mill chuck and kind of used my mill as a crude lathe to re-shape the button. Made the button dia 0.2mm smaller so it doesn't stick in a 10mm hole. Buttom hole 10mm and button 9.8mm.

Didn't like the shiny look of the button so I gave it a brushed finish and rounded the edge a bit more.

Cost:
tactile switch 35p
earring 50p
Total: 85p

Right re-worked button, left orignal earring.
elfYmdf.jpg

xhi9l6O.png

Last edited:
Did a new button out of round bar. I'm getting a bit of a button fetish.

I don't have lathe so I have do it on my mill with a rotary table, not optimal but it works.

Some pics are terrible and my mill table is a horrible mess.

12mm dia round bar machined down to about 9.7mm so it will fit in a 10mm hole.
QkEgIBv.jpg

ZqHnm0U.jpg

Did a 10.5mm dia flange on the back of the button.
4f8oGkE.jpg

uwe1Dkz.jpg

I took a 1mm round edge end mill to round of the edge of the button. The finish right of the mill wasn't too bad but it needed cleaning up.
819YQQ2.jpg

Final product, looks way better in real life. You can really see the nice rounded edge on the pics, when the light catches it right you can see the nice swirl markings too.
idPy4YM.jpg

H18yw23.jpg

Back
Top Bottom