What's new

The 3d printing thread

@peps1
I have been following this thread for a while makes good reading from the start as with your other recipe mega thread this one is fantastic to keep up the great work your a top member in this community :)

Ok, I'm selling my CTCForge. It just doesn't have the configurability that I've become accustomed to with my Prusas and the Marlin firmware in general. I'll be replacing it with another Migbot Prusa i3 and instantly upgrading it with an E3D Lite6 as I've done with the other printers. If you're interested, give me a yell, I'll give you the full run down.

Team i3 FTW!

Though I still rate those CTCForge, someone could pick up a good printer here!

@peps1
I have been following this thread for a while makes good reading from the start as with your other recipe mega thread this one is fantastic to keep up the great work your a top member in this community :)

Thanks @sjf just trying to give back, considering how much I have learnt thanks to this community.

Has anyone built a reprap with acrylic frame? Im building one now and dont know wether to glue the frame or not. Im thinking it needs glue but dont want to glue it and discover later that I shouldnt have

Bob

Hey Bob,

I would not use any Acrylic cement to wield the parts together, as Acrylic printers have a nasty habit of cracking (mainly where the screws are) and if wielded, its imposable to just replace the cracked part of the printers frame.

(inset obligatory rant here about how Acrylic frame printers should be avoided when steel frame printers cost only a fraction more).

@peps1

OK, figured out the frame. Didnt know acrylic was much good, Just ordered some 3mm mild steel sheet to make a new frame. I think cutting that may kill me but Im sure the acrylic will last long enough for me to manage. I guess thats the point of reprap, if something doesnt appeal you can change it.
By the way, who makes the best stepper motors, are nemas ok.What torque should I be looking at?

Bob

@peps1
are nemas ok.What torque should I be looking at?

Yep, NEMA are the go to motors, what Style of RepRap are you building?

With NEMAs and most RepRap designs you want NEMA 17 stepper motors with a minimum holding torque of 40Ncm (0.4Nm)

Has anyone built a reprap with acrylic frame? Im building one now and dont know wether to glue the frame or not. Im thinking it needs glue but dont want to glue it and discover later that I shouldnt have

Bob

Both my Prusas are Acrylic framed. It works fine, and bearing in mind, I print sleds commercially with them, they do alright. Although you have to take into account they both have E3D Lite6 hot ends on. Yes, I'm looking to swap the Y Carriages as they vibrate a little too much, but you can still get a decent print from them, try the acrylic first, then look at upgrading. Just out of curiosity, your Prusa, black Acrylic frame by any chance, with an i3 cut into it? If so, you have a Migbot, which are what my 2, soon to be 3 are.

Also for the rest of you, the CTCForge is sold. It'll be heading to it's new owner tomorrow and I've already bought a 3rd Migbot to replace it, just need to print the custom parts for it now.. which should be fun considering I have 3 large orders in and 2 printers to do it on :P

So, with the impending delivery of Migbot no. 3, I needed to print better quality plastic parts, the supplied parts are fine but they're printed in PLA and I colour code my printers. So I grabbed a spool of colorFabb NGEN and set it going. The majority of this was printed with no support at all. All I can say is try NGEN if you've not already...
pics..[URL="http://"][/URL]

Looking good ax!!!

Once I'm back to my normal self I might look at the "createspace" or w.e it's called near me again. Access to milling machines, lathes etc, for about £15 a month...

Still want to build a full acrylic "seamless" box.

Back
Top Bottom