What's new

The best starter kit

RosieRob

Initiate
Hi all, I need to stop smoking as I have copd and elevated levels of carbon monoxide in my blood. I have been led to believe that e-cigs do not produce carbon monoxide. I have no idea where to begin with choosing an e-cig and would welcome any suggestions as to the simplest one to use that isn't going to cost me a fortune.

Hi all, I need to stop smoking as I have copd and elevated levels of carbon monoxide in my blood. I have been led to believe that e-cigs do not produce carbon monoxide. I have no idea where to begin with choosing an e-cig and would welcome any suggestions as to the simplest one to use that isn't going to cost me a fortune.

even though ive got over 55 kits im no expert at the smaller starter kits.
the last one i got i won on here last christmas https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/vape-pods/uwell/uwell-caliburn-g2-pod-vape-kit
charge fill suck and thats it.

also worth having a look through some of these while you wait for others to reply https://manabush.com/collections/starter-kits-and-pods?page=1
or
https://www.primevapes.co.uk/collections/pod-devices

edit
then there is deciding which juice you want but with thousands to chose from its a case of trial and error finding ones that you will like.
firstly how many did you smoke for and for how many years.
there are 2 main juice types.
freebase nicotine will have more of a throat hit like a cig and can come in 3,6,9,12,18mg strength.
or salts which are much smoother on the throat and only come in 20mg,10mg and now i believe 5mg.

i smoked 20-30 a day for 37 years and gave up overnight with 18mg freebase 9 years ago. after a month i was down to 3mg and have stuck there ever since but i chain vape and am chugging away all day every day.
i didnt like salts as 5-10 puffs and my head was light headed so nic od.

once a decent kit is decided on then others can advise on which juice to try.
what sorts of flavours are you thinking of trying as the world is now your oyster and you dont have to stick to backy flavours but if you do there are some great ones infused with fruits and nuts that are worth a try from manabush nokomis range (above link 2nd link)

Last edited:

for something thats really simple too use & cheap then i highly recommend aspires Gotek x its draw activated & has no buttons you just suck on it too vape its ideal for nic salts liquid & come with a 2ml pod but you buy the larger pods easily enough,

https://www.legionofvapers.com/product/aspire-gotek-x-pod-kit

https://www.legionofvapers.com/product/aspire-gotek-x-replacement-pod

even though ive got over 55 kits im no expert at the smaller starter kits.
the last one i got i won on here last christmas https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/vape-pods/uwell/uwell-caliburn-g2-pod-vape-kit
charge fill suck and thats it.

also worth having a look through some of these while you wait for others to reply https://manabush.com/collections/starter-kits-and-pods?page=1
or
https://www.primevapes.co.uk/collections/pod-devices

edit
then there is deciding which juice you want but with thousands to chose from its a case of trial and error finding ones that you will like.
firstly how many did you smoke for and for how many years.
there are 2 main juice types.
freebase nicotine will have more of a throat hit like a cig and can come in 3,6,9,12,18mg strength.
or salts which are much smoother on the throat and only come in 20mg,10mg and now i believe 5mg.

i smoked 20-30 a day for 37 years and gave up overnight with 18mg freebase 9 years ago. after a month i was down to 3mg and have stuck there ever since but i chain vape and am chugging away all day every day.
i didnt like salts as 5-10 puffs and my head was light headed so nic od.

once a decent kit is decided on then others can advise on which juice to try.
what sorts of flavours are you thinking of trying as the world is now your oyster and you dont have to stick to backy flavours but if you do there are some great ones infused with fruits and nuts that are worth a try from manabush nokomis range (above link 2nd link)

Thank you for your detailed reply. I have been a heavy smoker for many years but have cut own to 4 a day now since being diagnosed with COPD. I know many people will say why not just stop but I still enjoy smoking so am hoping to find a compromise with using an e-cig.
I remember reading a warning years ago about oils with caramel flavourings but that was a long time ago so maybe they have improved now.

There are tons of simple to use devices. Voopoo and Innokin do some good ones. Also Oxva and Freemax to name but a few. Probably worth starting with a pod device. Did you want replaceable pods or would you want to replace the coils in a pod?

I remember reading a warning years ago about oils with caramel flavourings but that was a long time ago so maybe they have improved now.
oils are a defo no no but me not heard of that about caramel but with so many scare stories out there which have all been debunked but sadly once its on the net it stays there.
only biggie i can remember is the diacetyl crap back in 2016 (which is now banned in vape) but it can still be found. ive been vaping diacetyl which is a cream based flavouring mainly found in custards. you may have heard of popcorn lung bollox where a handful of popcorn factory workers died of inhaling the fumes. after it was banned they forgot to mention that a single cigarette has more diacetyl in it than the strongest ever reading found in a vape juice.

since the TPD law was implemented back in 2016/17 all 10ml bottles containg nicotine have to be tested before they can be sold in the UK so if its in a 10ml bottle your safe to vape it no matter what the flavour.

Thank you for your detailed reply. I have been a heavy smoker for many years but have cut own to 4 a day now since being diagnosed with COPD. I know many people will say why not just stop but I still enjoy smoking so am hoping to find a compromise with using an e-cig.

4 cigs a day is a really good result, well done!!! The warning about oils was cheap Illegal imports that flooded the market, if you order from the approved list here then no need to worry about that :)

Hi @RosieRob and welcome to the forum. In your intro you said you're a returning vaper so I'm guessing you've vaped before.

The first thing I'd say is stay away from disposables. You definitely need more control over what's in your vape.

I'm no scientist but as far as I know there is no carbon monoxide in vaping because you are only inhaling steam and there is no combustion like cigarettes.

You sound like you have plenty of reason to be more determined than some to make vaping work because of your health. If you have vaped before then you may already know a certain amount about vaping. Even so it might take you a little bit of time to get used to all the ins and outs of the terminology about how vaping works so start out with a fairly simple device.

The thing you need to figure out is the kind of juice that you're happiest with so I would advise doing a little test of buying 4 bottles of juice. Make them all near enough the same flavour but get one 12mg and one 18mg freebase and then get one 10mg and one 20mg nic salts and see which one you feel gives you the vape you feel happiest with. If you buy a pod system you can get 4 empty pods and fill each one with the 4 different juices and that will be the easiest way to see type you feel happiest with.

Something like the Voopoo Argus pod kit would be a good place to start. You don't need to worry about lots of different confusing types of coils to change as it is a refillable pod and there are only two different pod types to choose from. You'll get one of each in the kit so you can decide which type of pod gives you the nicest vape. The pods should last at least a week but once it starts to taste horrible or burnt you just throw the pod away and use a new one.

I am not really up to date on Starter Kits having vaped almost 4 years, i used to smoke 60+ Roll-Ups a day until it caught up with me Healthwise, I have COPD and Asthma and have never had any issues apart from the Nic OD with Salts like @MrDJ . Most of the Gear i would recommend is probably beyond your Scope except a Pod that was recommended to me by @Mutley1 , it's the Vaporesso Luxe, i am using the Pro. I am not a Pod Person but i can't put it down. Would be excellent for a beginner and definitely something i would highly recommend. I am using the 1.2 GTX Coils and it's as near to a Cig Draw as i think you will find.

Back
Top Bottom