What's new

Titanium is so much better than nickel

I got my first temp control device on Monday and was using nickel and wasn't too happy with the results. I could get over the fact that it was a pain in the ass to build, but the vape just wasn't anything special.

I got some titanium this morning and it is literally better in every way. I know everything to do with vaping is subjective, but I am really struggling to see how this is:

- Much easier to wrap
- Don't have to space coils
- Don't have to do a stupid amount of wraps
- Much more dense, kanthal like clouds (if you want them) as you can use thicker wire with no issues
- You can push the temp a bit higher due to the thicker wire
- Better flavour than nickel and kanthal
- Rewicking isn't a surgical procedure that can easily ruin your coil
- Generally far more solid coils
- Wires don't snap under screws
- The metal turns blue when it gets warm :)

Personally I find Ni200 easy to wrap and I usually do a micro coil which works a charm, so I don't need to do a spaced coil.
I normally do about 7 wraps which is only a couple more than I would with kanthal.
I get plenty of clouds, more than enough for me.
I set the temperature at just below the burning point of cotton, the wire I'm using isn't going to change the temperature that cotton burns at.
As long as the wicking is good the flavour is just as good as well.
Rewicking can be an issue at times if you're not careful, but the same thing can be said for kanthal as well and generally because I'm using less cotton it's not much of an issue.
I've not yet have a nickel coil snap under screws yet (mind you, I've only made TC coils in the subtank, so I guess I wouldn't have that problem really).

I've not tried titanium yet admittedly but I might just get hold of some and see if the vape is any better. I'm not overly convinced it will be though.

Question for you ti builders. When I do touching coils, I always end up with the lead wires getting much hotter than the coil. This has pushed me towards always doing spaced coils.

How do you guys mitigate the lead wires getting super hot?

Can't say I do touching coils, I tend to have a very tiny space in between for me, seems to work best for flavour

No it can't, as if it ignites it's very unlikely you have a fire extinguisher at home capable of putting that fire out

**I'm not trying to belittle any risk here, I am just speculating**

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be extremely dangerous, but would it not put itself out pretty quickly? Coils are pretty small.

If you just left it burn out and didn't go inhaling the fumes, would it be that big of a catastrophe? I remember oxidising magnesium in chemistry class, which seems to be a similar reaction, and it wasn't dangerous if you didn't put it in your face.

**I'm not trying to belittle any risk here, I am just speculating**

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be extremely dangerous, but would it not put itself out pretty quickly? Coils are pretty small.

If you just left it burn out and didn't go inhaling the fumes, would it be that big of a catastrophe? I remember oxidising magnesium in chemistry class, which seems to be a similar reaction, and it wasn't dangerous if you didn't put it in your face.

Down to the user if they want to take that risk, you wouldn't want it going up in your face, and you may inadvertently inhale the fumes, as it won't warn you when its going to go up, and I doubt you would be expecting it to either

No it can't, as if it ignites it's very unlikely you have a fire extinguisher at home capable of putting that fire out

Best not to pulse anything other than kanthal or nichrome then heh

NG has some good tips for TI users.

[video]https://youtu.be/RvauQmOQzGg[/video]

Nice video from Richard as usual! Would be nice if those wires came on a spool though, Its not too bad being 0.4mm wire I guess but I had a roll of 0.2 at the time that was very tricky to take long lengths of wire out not being in a spool.

Down to the user if they want to take that risk, you wouldn't want it going up in your face, and you may inadvertently inhale the fumes, as it won't warn you when its going to go up, and I doubt you would be expecting it to either

They should put a warning on the wire spools.

Nickel (II) oxide is released at a much lower temperature (about 400deg) and is also carcinogenic.

Is there a video anywhere of a dry burn causing ti to oxidise?

They should put a warning on the wire spools.

Nickel (II) oxide is released at a much lower temperature (about 400deg) and is also carcinogenic.

Is there a video anywhere of a dry burn causing ti to oxidise?

stealthvape have a warning on the site, and quite a lengthy one at that. I'd like to see all vendors selling Ti doing the same, but I don't think it will happen.

The video below shows oxidisation through dry burning, it's in French and he is not letting the wire get hot enough to ignite luckily, but he also puts a piece of paper underneath the coil showing TiO2 coming off of the coil-

https://youtu.be/IBnSjE-eucI

Im going to go against the grain here but i have zero issues with ni200. I used the hard drawn stuff at 26AWG and it acts like kanthal to me. Rewicking is easy enough, i just pull the old one out and smash a new one in. The only down side i find is with my juice it leaves the coils with a lot of gunk on them even after one tank, some say dry burn with temp off and about 10w, others say never dry burn ni200, but i don't mind making coils so takes me seconds. As for spaced coils, well i've always made spaced coils so thats no difference to me. Flavour and vapour i personally find is better.

Yep, the only down side for me is dry burning, thats it.

Back
Top Bottom