What's new

Toxicity Assessment of Refill Liquids - by Dr. F

If you were to use a real ingredient in the concentrate would this be any different or even work for that purpose ? For example a choc coffee ... Mix coco powder and coffee in a pg solution

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

If you were to use a real ingredient in the concentrate would this be any different or even work for that purpose ? For example a choc coffee ... Mix coco powder and coffee in a pg solution

Flavours are often synthetic and consist of the basic molecules needed to convey a taste, there's none of the other 'crap' in it. Mixing raw ingredients would be a bad idea (IMHO) even if it was filtered. The idea is to give the lungs the least amount of 'crap' to deal with.

A trip to London will often result in black snot so god knows what the inside of your lungs look like! The body is quite good at adapting to whatever life throws at it but this whole vaping thing is about minimizing harm.

The more studies, like this, the better in my eyes.

Yes, there is a lot we don't know. Who is to say that those flavourings that require a lower percentage are simply not more concentrated?

I think it will take a long time before the contents (and effects) of specific concentrates are known, if ever.

When I checked a 'good starting point' was 20% so bumping things up to 22%, 23% and even 25% seemed ok to me but like I said this study will affect how I mix going forward. I know that some CV juices are 30% and even 35%.

I'm also going to try to avoid making dark juices.
We will assess the risks when they're known, until then we'll work on assumptions based on guesswork and what little we do know. Each to his own.

Flavours are often synthetic and consist of the basic molecules needed to convey a taste, there's none of the other 'crap' in it. Mixing raw ingredients would be a bad idea (IMHO) even if it was filtered. The idea is to give the lungs the least amount of 'crap' to deal with.

A trip to London will often result in black snot so god knows what the inside of your lungs look like! The body is quite good at adapting to whatever life throws at it but this whole vaping thing is about minimizing harm.

Agreed, we make better decisions with more information.

It may be semantics, harm reduction does not necessarily mean minimizing harm. Unless regulation takes it out of our hands entirely, vapers are left to draw the line wherever choose to. Minimizing harm could be an extreme position to adopt.

Thanks , would have been a wasted experiment if I had tried this . Any idea of what goes into the "natural" flavourings by companies such as flavourwest ?

We will assess the risks when they're known, until then we'll work on assumptions based on guesswork and what little we do know. Each to his own.

Agreed, we make better decisions with more information.

It may be semantics, harm reduction does not necessarily mean minimizing harm. Unless regulation takes it out of our hands entirely, vapers are left to draw the line wherever choose to. Minimizing harm could be an extreme position to adopt.

Pedantic bastard ;) I'm going to have to start getting my replies to you proof read by experts. Naturally if we're looking to minimize the impact on the lungs the answer is to stop smoking and vaping and live in some kind of bubble with air filtration!

Maybe minimizing was the wrong choice of word, my sincerest apologies ;)

Thanks , would have been a wasted experiment if I had tried this . Any idea of what goes into the "natural" flavourings by companies such as flavourwest ?

No, we're well outside my area of knowledge and these companies like to keep their compositions quiet. Maybe this will be one of the few good things to come from regulation, 'vape-safe' flavourings, tested and certified.

I know that people have made their own coffee concentrates (from actual coffee) as well as nicotine leaf extractions so anything could be worth a try, it is all dependent on your approach to risk. ;)

No, we're well outside my area of knowledge and these companies like to keep their compositions quiet. Maybe this will be one of the few good things to come from regulation, 'vape-safe' flavourings, tested and certified.

I know that people have made their own coffee concentrates (from actual coffee) as well as nicotine leaf extractions so anything could be worth a try, it is all dependent on your approach to risk. ;)

When there is money involved it's always kept quiet . I make my own wine and this comes as a grape concentrate, which to me makes sense to use , but I'm guessing it could be more complicated than this , but I may give it a try

When there is money involved it's always kept quiet . I make my own wine and this comes as a grape concentrate, which to me makes sense to use , but I'm guessing it could be more complicated than this , but I may give it a try

Something I saw the other day was, during the days of prohibition, people could buy blocks of grape concentrate and yeast with a warning label advising people NOT to mix the contents in a container and leave for a few weeks ;)

Something I saw the other day was, during the days of prohibition, people could buy blocks of grape concentrate and yeast with a warning label advising people NOT to mix the contents in a container and leave for a few weeks ;)

I've been doing this a while ... Only been drinking the produce ... And I certainly can't knock that .. And with the very few chemicals and stabilisers added ... Hangover free

Back
Top Bottom