What's new

Upgrading from a T22e - is an Innokin Coolfire Z80 a good choice for my requirements?

mojofilters

Initiate
I've been successfully using an Innokin T22e for well over 5 years now. I bought my first after getting some excellent and very helpful guidance on this forum, and for a long while it seemed to be working out fine. I hope folks can help me progress my vaping journey.

Since the start of 2022 I've had a change in circumstances, which has allowed me the freedom to vape all day, without any of the previous restrictions I had. For example I now have the privacy of my own office, plus I'm not doing much travelling - hence I'm vaping a lot more than I had previously been used to.

Prior to this change my vaping routine was very predictable: I have two T22e devices, allowing me to keep one on charge as I vaped the other. I've been sticking to the newer tank, as it seems to produce better results.

I'd been used to a routine whereby I could reliably predict that one single 1.5R coil would nearly always last 14 days. However since I've had the freedom to now vape as frequently as I cared to do, I'm now getting through each coil much faster. I'd estimate that they're lasting around 3-4 days on average.

I'm not bothered about the cost (I consider how much the equivalent number of cigarettes would cost!) but I think it's time to move up to a better vape device, and hopefully reduce the number of times I have the hassle of changing out coils.

I've also noticed that whilst the vape I get from a fresh coil in my T22e is clean and satisfying, it doesn't seem to take long now before each draw becomes less and less satisfying, then I start to notice how frequent use of my vape ends up creating something so hot and dry that I'm burning the roof of my mouth!

After years of predictably knowing that after a two week period it was likely time to change coils, now I'm finding it seems like I need to change coils within what seems like an absurdly short period. Hence I suspect it's time to upgrade my vape device, and keep my pair of T22es for backup.

I've been pleased with those Innokin devices, both the reliability and especially the ease with which I can buy cheap authenticated coils via eBay. Thus I think I'd prefer to buy another Innokin, although I'm posting here as I'm also very much open to other suggestions.

I've found a few places selling the Coolfire Z80, which seems like an ideal upgrade - but I'm not really familiar with the market, and would appreciate any information about other products that seem like they could fit my recent change in circumstances and usage.

Thanks to this forum I found theelectroniccigarette.co.uk which offers a 10% discount to members, free shipping, plus two free liquids when buying the Innokin Coolfire Z80.

After loading up my cart with a Z80, a 18650 battery (I chose the slightly dearer option with 3000mAh) and five 0.8R Z-coils, it totalled £54. Excluding the discount, I only found one other site with similar pricing, but I've never used any of these sites before - hence any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I understand I may be better off finding a deal on Amazon or wherever, getting two or more of those batteries included with an external charger. However unless there's some good reason to opt for that right away, it looks like I could buy such in the future if needed, at minimal expense.

Please let me know if there are anymore questions around my needs, usage etc. I look forward to reading any and all of your thoughts about whether this seems like the best progression to make in my vaping journey.

My intention is always that it's better to buy once / cry once. Hence any other suggestions of alternative products are very welcome. My budget is flexible, but the initial cost of £40 for the Z80, plus the cheap and common availability of replacement coils seems like an attractive deal - albeit from the perspective of my limited experience in this market.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Hi @mojofilters and welcome back.

ive not used either of those kits but from what ive read the zenith is a very decent MTL kit https://www.innokin.com/coolfire-z80

what juice and ratio are you using as this will help others advise further. dairy, desserts and even some fruits are full of sweetner so will clog up quicker and burn out.
coil QC has dropped with a lot of makers now as they dont want you using one coil for months. when they burn out a lot quicker then you have to buy more so they are rubbing their hands together with glee.

for mouth to lung kits 50/50 is best and it looks like there are plenty of coils to chose from for mouth to lung 1.6, 1.2, 1ohm. and if you decide to try restricted then theres coils for that as well.

have a look through our recommended suppliers on post 5 as some might be cheaper POTV Vendors & Recommended E Liquid Suppliers

2 batteries is always a good idea so you can swap over straight away and then charge the depleted one. have a look at fogstar for decent cheap chargers (link on post 5) POTV20 for 20% off..
and before you click the buy button always post on what youve decided to buy as usually we will can find bigger discount codes.

Hi @mojofilters, The @Innokin Coolfire Z80 would be an excellent upgrade kit for you, and mine never misses a beat. It suits almost everyone, especially most moderate vapers; it doesn't leak, provides hassle-free vaping and is as silent as a mouse. I've had no complaints with mine whatsoever.

My only complaint is that it can be a little top-heavy and topple over from time to time, but that's it. A vape a band will cure the problem if you're bothered.

As has been said, just be careful where you buy one from. Get one from a trusted source (and a get a trusted battery) and you're sorted.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I have the Coolfire Z80 with Zenith 2 tank and find it a very solid performer for MTL vaping. The Z-coils it uses are better and have a wider range than the Endura coils. I tried the Endura coils ages ago with an old Endura T18 and wasn't impressed. So I am sure you will find the Coolfire Z80 a noticeable improvement.

Using a battery-powered mod makes total sense, you swap batteries when needed. You'll need two batteries and a charger.

theelectroniccigarette.co.uk is a reputable vendor, I have used them successfully in the past. I usually prefer buying from vaping sites rather than Amazon or eBay, where there is always the fear of products not being genuine. It is particularly important for batteries.

In terms of coil longevity, I found that the Vaporesso coils last longer than anything I tried while producing great flavour. The Vaporesso Gen Fit 40 kit will soon be available in the UK, great for MTL with the long-lasting 1.2 ohm GTX coils. Or you can order it from France now with a 3.5ml tank capacity (8.25 Euros delivery charge):
https://www.lepetitvapoteur.com/en/all-of-our-kits/11549-gen-fit-40-kit-vaporesso.html

The z coils r excellent no matter what tank u put them in. U will be very happy with the z80.

I cant promise how long your coils will last, its entirely dependent on what and how you vape.

Other than that you could move up in coil size to the big'uns, the itank, i think geekvape has one, lost vape ultra boost, freemax fireluke 3, is another off the top of my head, but the z coils r probably cheaper, and yeah, changing about once a week, more if u r vaping super sweet juice at the highest wattage you can manage.

Get the mod and tank seperately if u want

Edit-the fireluke 22 coils last a pretty long time as well ive noticed, compared to the nautilus/z coil/gtx/ size coils, just lesser capacity in the tank

Last edited:
You wont go wrong with innokin z coils,i use the .8 coil and is good for 50vg or 70vg juice.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and responses. Apologies for not responding earlier, I thought I'd typed up and posted a reply over a week ago, but apparently it didn't work out!

I've looked at all the suggested retailers in post 5 of the thread referenced above. The only alternative to the site I mentioned in my first post is vapeclub.co.uk, where the prices are similar, but I can also buy a battery charger from there as well.

In addition they have a wider range of 18650 batteries, including a sub-£4 option. I've no idea if saving money in that area is a false economy or not - hence specific advice around choosing batteries for the Z80 would be much appreciated!

However I also don't have a discount code for vapeclub.co.uk. In fact I can't remember where I got the POTV10 code from for the site I mentioned in my initial post - but fortunately my browser had saved it.

If I can get a discount code for vapeclub.co.uk, then that seems like the best option, where I can buy everything all at once with free shipping.

But given the range of 18650 batteries offered there, I've no idea whether getting 2 of the cheapest (plus a charger) is worthwhile, or whether I should look at better specified and sightly more expensive options?

***Any and all advice around minimum 18650 battery specs will be gratefully recieved, as will be a discount code I can use on vapeclub.co.uk.***

Many thanks in advance for your help and guidance!

Edited to add: as most of the vape juice I use is from onepoundeliquid, I searched their site for specific PG/VG ratios. I couldn't find a clear answer. In one section they indicate that 18mg liquid is 50:50, but elsewhere they seem to suggest it depends on each flavour - however when I looked at some of those I'm currently vaping, there was no specific information provided.

I'm assuming that for that kind of juice, the 0.8R Z-coils are likely to be my best choice, though I'm not really sure since Innokin seem to make a range of coils for the Z80, with a variety of resistance values?

Last edited:
The best advise I can give you is save money by all means, but please do it by mixing your own liquid, by buying it discounted, by building your own coils in an RTA, or just by shopping around... but please, never, ever, do it by scrimping on batteries.

Remember, batteries are potentially explosive devices that you put next to your face alongside a heating element, it's just not worth the risk.

Always buy reputable batteries from a reputable seller. It could potentially save more than money in the long run, even on a protected, regulated mod like the Z80.

Splurging on liquid and scrimping on batteries is bad practice.

As for the coils, you really should be fine with any of them. The @Innokin Z-Coils all do their intended job really well.

Just pick one according to your desired warmth and draw, and you should be happy. :)

Hi @mojofilters Vape club are great and super fast next day delivery on every order ive made.
sadly they dont offer discounts that often and we dont have one specifically for potv.

as said, save money but NEVER on batteries. ive never heard of vapcell but as our own fogstar sells them i guess they should be ok but for £2.50 more i would personally always buy molicell which as far as i know are the only company that officially authorise their cells for vape.

one pound eliquid https://www.onepoundeliquid.com/ (there is another site with similar page but they are NOT the same company.

these are their ratios
Standard Range - Each nicotine strength contains a different ratio of PG to VG.

18mg Strength = 60% PG / 40% VG
12mg Strength = 50% PG / 50% VG
6mg Strength = 45% PG / 55% VG
3mg Strength = 40% PG / 60% VG
0mg Strength = 40% PG / 60% VG

High VG E-Liquids

6mg Strength = 20% PG / 80% VG
3mg Strength = 20% PG / 80% VG
0mg Strength = 20% PG / 80% VG

Back
Top Bottom